N18 Open Hive War Example Scenarios

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I know a lot of people are pretty disappointed they could not get a copy of the Open Hive War cards. It's a shame that these cards were such a limited run (no I will not share them, my account is not anonymous, please don't ask).

But here's the deal; I guarantee that if you sit down with your group and brainstorm for an hour or so, you will come up with a better version of the Open Hive War cards that fits your group's play style much better than the strange assortment of 40k style objective grabbing, and far too close setups GW has provided. Oddly, 5 out of 12 deployment cards place the gangs within 12" or less of each other, slanted strongly towards within short range of an autogun! Whoever made these must run a Corpse Grinder Cult Gang...

So to help facilitate creativity and satiate curiosity, here are some examples I have generated with the cards. These examples should provide a good enough idea of how things work so that you can create something better.

(Edited to remove images, I have tried my best to describe the cards)

Example 1
Here we have a battle which is bound to create 2 smaller brawls on the edges of the battlefield, as the deployment zones are 5" squares in each corner with gangs split between 2 diagonal zones. The ammo shortage (weapons gain scarce and heavy or special weapons re-roll successful ammo checks) will see to it that players only take the most likely of shots, leading to short range firefights and grabs for advantageous positions. Secretly one gang wants to do what they would do anyways, take at least 1/3rd or the enemy out. The other gang is trying to make sure one of their own random gang members is taken out by the enemy leader. Overall this scenario seems very balanced with a slightly higher reward for the player who drew the better Loot card.

Example 2

This scenario will start out with some brutal charges and close range firefights, as the deployment zones are 12" bands touching in the middle of the table. By the time the dust settles, one of the gangs will probably bottle before anyone can grab the objectives in the opposing deployment zone (each gang sets up 3 objectives in enemy territory). The critters will add some unpredictable moments, they are randomly moving tokens that will cause STR 3 hits on anyone nearby). The Loot cards make it so one player is encouraged to get up close and coup de grace a number of fighters to rob them. The other player will need to spread out and take all 4 quarters, which is pretty interesting considering the main objective and could foil the other player's secret objective.

FYI, the "attacker" is considered to be the player who won the roll off and selected their deployment zone, setting up first (always the person who selected the scenario in a Dominion/Law and Misrule campaign). I'd recommend the person selecting the battle may declare Open Hive War instead of a traditional scenario. There is always an attacker, even in seemingly symmetrical deployment and objective combinations, because it determines deployment as I said.

Example 3
In this deployment we see that half of each gang will be reserved as reinforcements, and each gang needs to spread their starting crews out so that there is at least 1 model in each of their 3 deployment zones which are spread equally across opposite sides of the table (this is explained on the rules cards). The defender is going to find it very easy to achieve the objective here, they only need to make sure they have at least 1 fighter within 6" of any table edge. Both of the Loot cards require moving across the battlefield so there will be some meaningful decisions for the defender as far as who to leave behind. This is another scenario that will more than likely come down to making the opponent bottle unfortunately. But if the attacker have blast weapons falling debris will encourage the defender to spread out, possibly making the attacker's job a little easier.

Last edited:

Jembo17

Gang Champion
Apr 27, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
I know a lot of people are pretty disappointed they could not get a copy of the Open Hive War cards. It's a shame that these cards were such a limited run (no I will not share them, my account is not anonymous, please don't ask).

But here's the deal; I guarantee that if you sit down with your group and brainstorm for an hour or so, you will come up with a better version of the Open Hive War cards that fits your group's play style much better than the strange assortment of 40k style objective grabbing, and far too close setups GW has provided. Oddly, 5 out of 12 deployment cards place the gangs within 12" or less of each other, slanted strongly towards within short range of an autogun! Whoever made these must run a Corpse Grinder Cult Gang...

So to help facilitate creativity and satiate curiosity, here are some examples I have generated with the cards. These examples should provide a good enough idea of how things work so that you can create something better.

Example 1
View media item 51759
View media item 51758
View media item 51760
Here we have a battle which is bound to create 2 smaller brawls on the edges of the battlefield. The ammo shortage will see to it that players only take the most likely of shots, leading to short range firefights and grabs for advantageous positions. Secretly one gang wants to do what they would do anyways, take the enemy out. The other gang is trying to make sure one of their own is taken out by the enemy leader. Overall this scenario seems very balanced with a slightly higher reward for the player who drew the better Loot card.

Example 2
View media item 51762
View media item 51761
View media item 51770
This scenario will start out with some brutal charges and close range firefights. By the time the dust settles, one of the gangs will probably bottle before anyone can grab the objectives in the opposing deployment zone. The critters will add some unpredictable moments. The Loot cards make it so one player is encouraged to get up close and coup de grace. The other player will need to spread out and take all 4 quarters, which is pretty interesting considering the main objective and could foil the other player's secret objective.

FYI, the "attacker" is considered to be the player who won the roll off and selected their deployment zone, setting up first (always the person who selected the scenario in a Dominion/Law and Misrule campaign). I'd recommend the person selecting the battle may declare Open Hive War instead of a traditional scenario. There is always an attacker, even in seemingly symmetrical deployment and objective combinations, because it determines deployment as I said.

Example 3
View media item 51764
View media item 51766
View media item 51765
In this deployment we see that half of each gang will be reserved as reinforcements, and each gang needs to spread their starting crews out so that there is at least 1 model in each of their 3 deployment zones (this is explained on the rules cards). The defender is going to find it very easy to achieve the objective here, but both of the Loot cards require moving across the battlefield so there will be some meaningful decisions. This is another scenario that will more than likely come down to making the opponent bottle unfortunately. But if the attacker have blast weapons falling debris will encourage the defender to spread out, possibly making the attacker's job a little easier.

More importantly, what sleeves do you use on your cards...? ;)

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I dunno what he uses but if you go looking for “Sleeve Kings. Blood Bowl Compatible Sleeves, 78x113mm” they’ll fit the size of card used in Necromunda.

I’ve got some. They’re ok.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
How large are the Zone Mortalis plastic tiles? The deployment cards show 4x4 plastic tiles. But according to their measurements, the battlefield is 36"x36". I thought the plastic tiles were 12"x12", making a 4x4 battlefield 48"x48"?

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I use any regular magic card sleeves. I print all cards in standard magic card size, then add a worthless mana card in the back for stiffness.
Benefits:
  • Can reprint any lost or damaged card.
  • Fits any deck box (for storage and transpotation).
  • Easier to shuffle and handle.
  • Cards are updated if they are ever FAQ'ed.
  • Can correct obvious typos or mistakes.
Unfortunately, my card barrier box (claiming to fit 1000 cards) is already full, and I haven't added Hive War cards yet. These are only Necromunda cards:
cardbox 2.jpg

cardbox 1.jpg

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
How large are the Zone Mortalis plastic tiles? The deployment cards show 4x4 plastic tiles. But according to their measurements, the battlefield is 36"x36". I thought the plastic tiles were 12"x12", making a 4x4 battlefield 48"x48"?

It's pretty clear to me that the images are not to scale.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The Loot "Loot Their Corpses" is just a worse version of "Finish Them Off".

"Immediately after making a Coup De Grace (Simple) action, your fighters may loot the dead. Fighters may not loot the dead if they made a Charge (Double) action or Fight (Basic) action this activation. When they loot the dead, place a marker on their Fighter card. Once at least three of these markers have been accumulated by your crew, your gang will score this card.

"In the End phase of any round, your gang will score this Loot card if at least three enemy fighters have been taken Out of Action with the Coup De Grace (Simple) action in the battle so far.
Both rewards are the same, D6x10 credits. I am not a fan of this. Overly complex writing including markers and additional restrictions on the first one. The last one is scored in the End phase for some reason?!?

Other wordings are also highly inconsistent:
  • At the beginning of the battle, after both crews have deployed...
  • After both players have set up their crews and any Objectives have been placed...
  • After both crews have been deployed and any Perils cards have been applies...
All of this is equivalent to simply "after deployment" (both objectives and perils are applied before deployment).

Last edited:

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
It really seems like the 1st one should come out of the opponent's stash/income after the battle.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
That would make sense. Similar effect has been done earlier I think, but it has been a while ago.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Except that kind of interaction just complicates things by assuming the opponent 'has' credits available to loot.
It's how I'll play it and if they have no stash it comes from their income for the game. It's considerably harder to achieve looting the dead due to the additional actions needed, so should have some greater impact.