Origins of Mordheim mechanics

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Palmerston North, New Zealand
I never got into Warhammer Fantasy apart from Mordheim, it was strictly 40K for me.

So, rules-wise does Mordheim draw much from Warhammer Fantasy or is it similar to GorkaMorka in that its essentially Necromunda/2nd edition WH40k with a different aesthetic?

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
So, rules-wise does Mordheim draw much from Warhammer Fantasy or is it similar to GorkaMorka in that its essentially Necromunda/2nd edition WH40k with a different aesthetic?
It draws pretty much from WHFB, not sure on the edition (anywhere between 3rd and 6th, but I'm no expert) since it's the same "world", but the campaign rules are completely different to Necromunda. Given that back in the day 40k 2nd ed and WHFB had a lot of identical rules, this makes the distinction vague.

Reactions: Aulenback

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
The old world is awesome for its lore (annoying as I really like the AoS system but hate the new background), you should be able to pick up a lot of the older books really cheap for the background. I'd suggest looking mainly at the empire stuff as thats where its set.

The system itself... is similar to necromunda in terms of stat line, move/run/shoot/charge. Combat is different, and teh campaign system is very different. Also warbands are strucutred in a specific way with heros and henchmen, and each warband having a max size etc. But the core of the game is similar. Shooting is amuch lesser part though and combat is more common than in necromunda.

wouldnt be too hard to have a read through of the rulebook and then have a game if you are familiar with necormunda though.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Given that back in the day 40k 2nd ed and WHFB had a lot of identical rules, this makes the distinction vague.
2nd edition 40k was indeed much closer to WFB of the time (4th-5th editions) but, as @spafe alludes to, the combat system was very different.

In 2nd edition 40k it was the same as Necromunda/Gorkamorka - rolling one dice per attack, adding WS and other modifiers, and comparing scores. Mordheim uses the WFB system where you roll one 'to hit' dice per attack, limiting you to hitting that many times. (This is the system used in more modern 40k too I believe.)

On the other hand, WFB was designed for ranked units, so there are a large number of changes to adapt it to skirmishing.

Reactions: spafe

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Hmm, interesting that the 'to hit' system was ported over from the 40k rules of the time (3rd edition I believe).

As you say, maybe it's to do with the ranks that Fantasy used/uses. I have no idea how that stuff works!

Cheers all

Reactions: spafe

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Oh, also on the "where can I find out about the old setting" stuff - separate to the question of the origin of the game mechanics [which were adapted from a 3rd-to-5th-edition WHFB ruleset, in part, with inspiration from Necromunda in part; Rogue Trader came out around 3rd edition WHFB] - you might also do well to rummage through a bunch of the old Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay books, many of which are around for free on the internet even as we speak. Okay, yes, they were also around a year ago when this thread was written, but I wasn't on this forum then.

Especially useful are WHFRP setting books about Skaven and Undead conspiracies, since those play so heavily into Mordheim's setting.

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Cheers Aulenback. I hadn’t thought about the role play stuff. Turns out I have one of the WHF role play books in my parents place. Bought it in a charity shop probably around the time Mordheim was coming out, incidentally. Never played it but enjoyed looking at all the character descriptions as a kid.
Will dig it out when I get a chance.

Reactions: Aulenback and spafe