Ork Outlaw MCs rules (feedback and revisions)

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Carmarthen, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Azzabat created a thread to ask some questions and it all got a bit in depth. A thread that's just for feedback and revisions to the Outlaw MC rules seemed like a good idea.

Current changes:
  • Bad Meks now cost 8 Teef, not 12.
  • Mektown : Bad Meks may carry out D3 upgrades/repairs rather than visiting Mektown.
  • Nomads can generate income just like Full Patch Members (D6)
  • Banditz rule: riders are now able to shoot even if they turned during the movement phase.
  • Fell off da back of a trukk… rule - All gear gets a discount of 1 Toof (Weapons, armour, gubbinz)
  • Glyph Tatz - Snakebite changed entirely ("When passing within 1” of a model on foot he may make a single attack with a hand-to-hand weapon in addition to the effects of the squashing rules").
  • Glyph Tatz - Blood Axe changed entirely ("This Ork is has a strategic streak - he may shoot at any point during his movement.").
  • Nice Place Ya Got ‘Ere... skill may be taken by Nomads
  • Leadership challenge conditions changed: "If the mob’s profit is lower than half the Prezident’s leadership (rounding up)"
There's a Google Document that anyone can view and comment on here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ieTiH8RFBsPvjP1QAI1-gB56E7imicXdM4ay7zffq-k/edit?usp=sharing

I don't expect we'll get the rules to the stage where they're perfect but hopefully we can make them a touch more balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

DracoPT

Ganger
Jun 30, 2015
If we continue doing regular tweaks then someday they'll get very close to being finished

Right now keep the good work, if my gaming group for gorkamorka grows I'll be trying doing an Outlaw Mob because I love running ork warbikers

Reactions: Flamekebab

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
Just played 3 games with the original rules. Not the most objective test as they were all 3 way games, so the board was a bit more crowded than usual and made it much harder to play it kunnin'-like. You can't really hit-and-run and sneak around the side of the board with a 3rd player there.
I played with only 3 bikes, but saved the teef for a 4th by the end of the game. I found that the biggest disadvantage is that with bikes, you can't ram and get squashed when rammed. Getting a trukk or trakk was simply not an option with 12 toof meks and 20 toof traks. Bikes can't mount the more useful gubbins (Grabbin claws, rams, wreckin' balls) or big guns. I think that 8 toof Spannaz and the 1 toof discount on gear will make the mob much, much more competitive. . And the 1 toof discount will help you make up in volume (4 toof Krak bombz, 2 6-shootaz for the price of one!) what you lose in heavy gear like big gunz and grabbaz.
The Leadership challenge would have been problematic. I screwed up and didn't notice the Prez starts with an Ld of 8. I made 7,7,and finally 6 teef in my games.....that would have been 3 challenges.
Anyhow, they were great games and I think the Outlaws are a lot of fun. I'll either re-do, or retro-fit my Outlaw mob and give them another go and see how it shakes out.
Couple comments questions.

Is there any difference between Bad Mek repair/upgrades and Mek-town upgrades? It really doesn't seem to make any difference if you roll a d3 or not before you go and get your rides worked on.
Nomads generating income is a bit non-traditional. Hired guns in other owld skewl skimish games never did. I do like them being able to generate income if they roll the 'Nice place you got here." skill. Very cinematic.
How do you resolve the "single" attack when using the Snake bite skill? Is it a single automatic hit? Do both models roll a single attack die? Not clear to me.

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Carmarthen, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Answers first:
Is there any difference between Bad Mek repair/upgrades and Mek-town upgrades? It really doesn't seem to make any difference if you roll a d3 or not before you go and get your rides worked on.
It's partly for fluff reasons and partly to make Bad Meks more valuable to the mob (which would influence the kind of emergent narratives one could encounter).

Nomads generating income is a bit non-traditional. Hired guns in other owld skewl skimish games never did. I do like them being able to generate income if they roll the 'Nice place you got here." skill. Very cinematic.
Do you reckon they should only be able to generate income from having the skill or is non-traditional fun? :LOL:

How do you resolve the "single" attack when using the Snake bite skill? Is it a single automatic hit? Do both models roll a single attack die? Not clear to me.
A fair point. I'm not entirely sure what Azzabat had in mind but I was thinking
one hit as if they'd won a round of combat. Can you think of a clearer wording?

Just played 3 games with the original rules. Not the most objective test as they were all 3 way games, so the board was a bit more crowded than usual and made it much harder to play it kunnin'-like. You can't really hit-and-run and sneak around the side of the board with a 3rd player there.
That is exactly the sort of testing they need. Nice one (y)

I played with only 3 bikes, but saved the teef for a 4th by the end of the game. I found that the biggest disadvantage is that with bikes, you can't ram and get squashed when rammed. Getting a trukk or trakk was simply not an option with 12 toof meks and 20 toof traks. Bikes can't mount the more useful gubbins (Grabbin claws, rams, wreckin' balls) or big guns. I think that 8 toof Spannaz and the 1 toof discount on gear will make the mob much, much more competitive. . And the 1 toof discount will help you make up in volume (4 toof Krak bombz, 2 6-shootaz for the price of one!) what you lose in heavy gear like big gunz and grabbaz.
That confirms what we were thinking already and more data is a very good thing!

Testing the new rules under the same conditions would be handy too but whatever feedback you've got is brilliant.

The Leadership challenge would have been problematic. I screwed up and didn't notice the Prez starts with an Ld of 8. I made 7,7,and finally 6 teef in my games.....that would have been 3 challenges.
Anyhow, they were great games and I think the Outlaws are a lot of fun. I'll either re-do, or retro-fit my Outlaw mob and give them another go and see how it shakes out.
Sounds like the revision to the challenge rules would put you in the clear then. Perhaps too clear... :whistle:

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
A fair point. I'm not entirely sure what Azzabat had in mind but I was thinking
one hit as if they'd won a round of combat. Can you think of a clearer wording?

What I had in mind was the Biker makes 1 attack against his opponent. Both players role to hit as normal and if the Biker wins he scores a single hit, regardless of the amount of hits.

If the Biker loses nothing happens.

This was to reflect the Biker swinging his weapon as he barrels past his opponent. Due to the speed involved. Imagine him holding out his weapon and trying to connect with his opponent as he sweeps past, giving him time for a single hit.

Likewise his opponent would only have time to duck, or dodge out of the way if successful, thus doing no damage.

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
What I had in mind was the Biker makes 1 attack against his opponent. Both players role to hit as normal and if the Biker wins he scores a single hit, regardless of the amount of hits.

If the Biker loses nothing happens.

This was to reflect the Biker swinging his weapon as he barrels past his opponent. Due to the speed involved. Imagine him holding out his weapon and trying to connect with his opponent as he sweeps past, giving him time for a single hit.

Likewise his opponent would only have time to duck, or dodge out of the way if successful, thus doing no damage.

That would work. You could even say if the biker loses he takes a single hit. Or takes a hit if he fumbles and loses, just for fun.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Not a fan of the Biker taking a hit if he loses. I DOI like the idea of a fumble and a loss equaling a hit though.

= )

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
Ran my Outlaw Bikers last weekend. We did a Deffrace roolz here http://www.spiralbridgestudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Def-Race.pdf

My driver had the Evil Sunz Glyph, which basically gave me 2 free thrusts. Very handy. I came from behind and took a good lead. Stayed out of the way and managed to thread a gauntlet of Wreckin' Balls to snag the win. Not a given that I could have pulled it off. In close quarters bikes get squashed. If I had failed a LD test when passing at any time, I would have been a sitting duck for a rake or ram.
Interesting side effect I noticed that with the "Fell of the back of a Trukk" discount, you can rack up a pretty high Mob rating quickly. I am assuming that the gear counts at it's full cost towards calculating rating, right? Could be an important balancing factor. It's easy to load everyone up with 2 6-shootaz and kannons early, but you probably won't be choosing the scenario.

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Carmarthen, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Nice! How did the rest of the mob perform?

Interesting side effect I noticed that with the "Fell of the back of a Trukk" discount, you can rack up a pretty high Mob rating quickly.
Too quickly, do you think?

I am assuming that the gear counts at it's full cost towards calculating rating, right?
Ah, a good point. I'd not considered, to be honest. It would make sense but if the rating is going up too quickly in relation to the strength of the mob then it can be tweaked to be the paid value.

It's easy to load everyone up with 2 6-shootaz and kannons early, but you probably won't be choosing the scenario.
Does the extra gear make enough of a difference?

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
Nice! How did the rest of the mob perform?

The scenario only used one vehicle. So no way to tell yet.

Too quickly, do you think?

Not sure yet. My gut tells me that it is a useful balancing factor. Sure, you can load up on 1 toof six-shootaz, but you are that much less likely to choose the scenario. I'd leave it as the gear counts it's normal value towards mob rating.

Ah, a good point. I'd not considered, to be honest. It would make sense but if the rating is going up too quickly in relation to the strength of the mob then it can be tweaked to be the paid value.

Does the extra gear make enough of a difference?

The "Evil Sunz Glyph" and the starting LD of 8 did! Zooooom!

I will be struggling against one of the other guys. He is unfortunately kunnin' as they come and just got 3 armor plates for his AV 10/12 trukk. Scumbo only had to pay 3 teef for those two kustum jobs! A normal truck you can tail and dakkadakka at. This monstrosity is basically bullet proof! But I have a cunning plan. By kunning, I mean desperate, but if it works I will be epic. If not, I die epic on Gorkamorka!

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I also found the lack of Big Guns started to tell when my opponent upgraded his armour. I was needing 6's all the time, if at all. I found that lobbing a few Krak grenades under the wheels works wonders though. = )