N18 Orlock Iron Stare - how does it work?

WillingSand

Ganger
Jan 18, 2018
Spire
Hello folks, I'm wondering how the Orlock legendary name Iron Stare is interacting with Target Priority. Let's say my opponent can shoot at two of my gangers in the open. One is a regular guy, but he wants to shoot at the Arms Master behind him, who has an 'Iron Stare'.

So he has to roll a Cool Check for aiming at the Arms Master and then another one for Iron Stare? What if he fails both, is his shooting action forfeit?

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
What if he fails both,
If he fails the first one, he is unable to target the arms master and must shoot the closest target. Iron stare won't activate.

If he passes the first one, then he must make a second when Iron stare activates, if he fails he loses the action but could try again with the second action (I believe, we've played it like the CGC masks in this regard as we wenr't sure if they lose the shoot action or just the action point).

If the positions are reversed and the arms master is the closest, then Iron stare activates if he targets the arms master first, or if he fails the cool check to shoot the further away normal ganger, then he will need to make an iron stare check to see if he can target the closer arms master.

WillingSand

Ganger
Jan 18, 2018
Spire
If he fails the first one, he is unable to target the arms master and must shoot the closest target. Iron stare won't activate.

If he passes the first one, then he must make a second when Iron stare activates, if he fails he loses the action but could try again with the second action (I believe, we've played it like the CGC masks in this regard as we wenr't sure if they lose the shoot action or just the action point).

If the positions are reversed and the arms master is the closest, then Iron stare activates if he targets the arms master first, or if he fails the cool check to shoot the further away normal ganger, then he will need to make an iron stare check to see if he can target the closer arms master.
Ah I see, thank you! What I still do not understand is that sentence about never counting as the closest target?

Second question I guess Iron Stare doesn't work if my arms master gets hit by Rapid fire shots that are delegated to him?

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Ah, sorry, I dont have the book in front of me (was answering from memory). the not counting as the closest target will mean if he is closer than the other ganger (in the 2nd situation of my first response), then the shooter can choose to shoot the ganger for free, no cool check required as the arms master wont count as the closest. The shooter could still choose to try and do a cool check to shoot the arms master (rather than the further away ganger), which if passed, would still then need a following cool check for iron stare. So in practice, it doesnt matter where the arms master is in relation to the normal ganger, it will always be free shot on the ganger, or 2 cool checks (1st for not closest, 2nd for overcoming iron stare) to shoot the arms master.

no, sadly iron stare wont help for walked shots.

WillingSand

Ganger
Jan 18, 2018
Spire
Ah, sorry, I dont have the book in front of me (was answering from memory). the not counting as the closest target will mean if he is closer than the other ganger (in the 2nd situation of my first response), then the shooter can choose to shoot the ganger for free, no cool check required as the arms master wont count as the closest. The shooter could still choose to try and do a cool check to shoot the arms master (rather than the further away ganger), which if passed, would still then need a following cool check for iron stare. So in practice, it doesnt matter where the arms master is in relation to the normal ganger, it will always be free shot on the ganger, or 2 cool checks (1st for not closest, 2nd for overcoming iron stare) to shoot the arms master.

no, sadly iron stare wont help for walked shots.
Man that's complicated, but those last two sentences really helped! Many thanks!

Reactions: spafe

Jurasito

Juve
Nov 28, 2020
Prague

I dont think they loose the action. They just cannot target the model in question.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I dont think they loose the action. They just cannot target the model in question.
yeah, I remember there being some discussion in our group about if they did or not. I can't honestly remember the specifics but we ended up playing it the same as CGC masks where you lose the action point but not the option to do that action again (for basic actions).

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Iron Stare does not say the shooter looses an action. Unless there is an FAQ that says otherwise, I say shoot someone else. Or, do something else.