N18 Orlock - Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Gangs & Loadout' started by Bogoth, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Bogoth

Bogoth New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to Necromunda, and I chose an Orlock Gang as my fist gang.
    As i plan to paint my guys in my easter holidays onboard a cruise ship, I'll like to get them ready and build the models way ahead of time...so i need to decide on the loadout without any game knowledge, besides a few flickthroughs of the books. What do you think? : https://yaktribe.games/underhive/print/cards/46955

Cheers,
    Philipp

2. Vonvilkee

Vonvilkee Gang Hero

Auto guns struggle to put fighters down, you do not need back up weapons if you are worried about ammo checks take munitioneer.

I'd recommend finding creds for shotguns. During the campaign you can get executioner rounds and it is not terribly difficult to cut the drum down on the combat shotgun to make a regular one. This is my suggestion if limited to the box.

If you have bits or want to get forge world go bolters, heavy or otherwise they are amazing!

Bogoth likes this.
  3. U0953671

U0953671 Adeptus Arbite
    Honored Tribesman

I second the shotgun suggestion. Orlocks are great at short/mid range. Make the most of it.

Bogoth likes this.
  4. Bogoth

Bogoth New Member

Hey :)

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Just to be sure, you would favor regular Shotguns over Combat Shotguns, right?
    The Bolter profiles, be it normal or heavy, surely looks superior, i just worried about the Ammo check and/or the notorious click card ;-)
    Forgeworld wouldn't e the problem, if you say bolters are the way to go.

Thx,
    Philipp

5. Vonvilkee

Vonvilkee Gang Hero

Totally bolters with a munitioneer champ!

A mix of shotgun types as the after market ammos are different and cool. The extra 6" of range matter but the combat shotgun can turn into a wicked template of burning doom!

Bogoth likes this.
  6. U0953671

U0953671 Adeptus Arbite
    Honored Tribesman

I’m using a lot of bolters in my current campaign and can confirm that the ammo situation is painful. Even with munitioneer champ all I’m getting is another chance to roll a 6 (Which I have yet to succeed at doing in my moment of need).
    Not saying don’t use them - they are great.

Bogoth likes this.
  7. Bogoth

Bogoth New Member

BTW, what Bits are you using for the bolters? I don’t mind buying a FW weapons upgrade, but buying multiple is indeed a bit painful ;-)

I think I will try to balance bolters, shotguns and Combat Shotguns.

@U0953671: world you equip them differently if you could start again?

8. U0953671

U0953671 Adeptus Arbite
    Honored Tribesman

My bolters are on cadians, I made them by converting lasguns.
    Have a google, very easy and they look great.
    I think actual bolt guns are a bit too bulky for most minis.

Bogoth likes this.
  9. U0953671

U0953671 Adeptus Arbite
    Honored Tribesman

If I could start again, I wouldn’t abandon the bolters. They hit like a truck and I can spread the shots when I roll 2/3 on the ammo dice. Makes pinning multiple people decent and injures often to boot.
    But when they go click - it is awful.
    So I would probably just start with fewer.
    Depends on the gang. But as orlock, it would’t hurt to use them as gunline, keeping control of the long game while you push up with shotguns.

Bogoth likes this.
  10. enyoss

enyoss Gang Hero
    Tribe Council

I think a base of shotguns, with a combat shotgun and bolter here and there works well.

Early campaign bolters are king, and can worry any leader or champ who strays into LOS. Their effectiveness drops noticeably once T advances start showing up though, although they’re still a solid choice.

Combat shotguns start out ok, but quickly lose ground as armour and toughness pick up. From mid-campaign onwards they serve simply as a group-wide autopinning mechanic and flamer.

Shotguns start good and stay that way. S4 D2/3 at reasonable range will pose a threat to most leaders and champs even in the late campaign, and upgrading to inferno or executioner rounds helps them keep up as armour gets better.

11. Vonvilkee

Vonvilkee Gang Hero

Telescopic sights on the house list for orlock is a solid upgrade as you go for better hitting.

I wouldn't go only bolters but 1 starting with a heavy bolter is some seriously scary fire power. My heavy gets clicked a lot but well prepared is my go to as I'd rather have my heavy firing than out of ammo my opponent.

That said my heavy has gotten more experience using his sawn off shotgun backup than the heavy bolter... he is regularly clicked then reinforcements try to come in close... he just advances on them and blasts, they don't expect that often...

Bogoth likes this.
  12. SoothSayer

SoothSayer Juve

Space Marine scout bolters, sisters of silence bolters are good sizes

Bogoth likes this.
  13. Bogoth

Bogoth New Member

Thx a lot for your input guys! :)

14. UnderhiveGangstar

UnderhiveGangstar Gang Champion

"Even with munitioneer champ all I’m getting is another chance to roll a 6 (Which I have yet to succeed at doing in my moment of need)."

You can do this with each action though, so you can actually make 4 ammo rolls with your two actions if needed. Even with a 6+ ammo check, you should reload the heavy bolter within two turns.

Vonvilkee and SoothSayer like this.
  15. enyoss

enyoss Gang Hero
    Tribe Council

Yeah, you’re more likely than not going to reload it in one turn.

And you have around a 1 in 3 chance of reloading it in your first action, allowing you to fire with your second.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice