N18 Orlock vs. Chaos Gang

GeneralJ

Sep 19, 2021
Hi,

I'm playing a campaign with my buddy and I'm playing Orlock, he's playing a chaos gang.

His witch (Skills Fearful Aura & Hallucinations (Telepathy)) always gives me insanity status and I can't defend myself against it. Does anyone have any tips? I can't find a way to add a psyker to my list either.

I have 210 Credits available for a solution.

Thanks for your comments,
Jannis

Just shoot him long range. His fearsome protects against charges. If you shoot the witch at 24" no problem.
The Hallucinate power has a 12" range and costs a basic action. Assign a gunner with a autogun on witch duty. All the gunner needs to do is hit (aim action maybe a sight) the witch and thus pin them. The witch then needs to spend a action to stand up. Then either move or cast. It effectively neutralises the witch for a gunners cost and a 15 credits autogun. If they manage to hurt the witch, who had quite weak physical stats anyway, then all the better. It frees up your big guns to deal with cult leaders disciples and spawn.
Even when the Helot player invests in better armour and a familiar to deal with hits it still is a expensive investment for them to defend against a 15 credits gun.

It's actually a good cost effective tactic to deal with most problematic fighters.
Is that champion a melee monster? Pin him with something puny long range. Did he get up? Pin him again. Repeat until that fighter fails his Nerve test after the rest of the gang bottles.

Reactions: Psyan and GeneralJ
For the 210 credits you mentioned you could get three gunners with auto guns.
If they all focus on the witch and you Aim you have a decent chance of hitting the witch three times minimum (rapid fire). Even if they invest in the two familiars they can get to negate two of the hits it is still likely you will at least pin them every turn you can see them. If the witch gets wise and starts hugging cover and avoiding your sniper team they ain't casting Hallucinate either.
You could drop a gunner and invest in two telescopic sights to give you the accuracy bonus at long range which would be +2 to hit with Aim. Add a couple of Las projectors to them and suddenly your 4+BS gunners gain a +3 accuracy bonus while Aiming at 24". Even accounting for cover (-2) they can still hit on 3+ which is pretty good.
A trio of snipers with either autoguns or lasguns with telescopic sights and las projectors are staples in my gangs and when targeting foes without Nerves of Steel Spring up or other pinning mitigation and they always do the job of stopping the tricky target I don't want to get near. Sometimes they even wound them but that's not their job it's just a bonus.

If the witch gets wise and starts hugging cover and avoiding your sniper team they ain't casting Hallucinate either
Thank's for your comments! I really appreciate that. The witch don't need a Line of sight, so my buddy is always hiding her so I can't aim her. She can cast through wall.

But I will focus on pin her like you said. Maybe this will work.

If they spend all thier time staying out of sight that delays them getting into range which gives you a reprieve anyway.
Throwing a few Willpower upgrades which are cheap XP wise is a good way of mitigating Insanity if you make the 5-6 roll.
Also insanity takes effect when you activate fighters. You still choose when to activate fighters not your opponent so activate the insane ones last. Use your sane fighters normally or if close by get out of the firing range/charge range. Your insane fighter will be broken 1/3 of the time and not be able to hurt you. 1/3 of the time they act normally and can remove Thier insanity marker. That 1/3 chance of your opponent taking control is the tricky one. But if you get your nearby fighters to safety it lessens that threat as well.

Reactions: Psyan
You could be evil and corrupt your Orlock gang to worship Chaos. Then all your fighters gain immunity to insanity.

Thank's for your comments! I really appreciate that. The witch don't need a Line of sight, so my buddy is always hiding her so I can't aim her. She can cast through wall.

But I will focus on pin her like you said. Maybe this will work.
While Hallucinations does not require line of sight, you cannot measure distances though walls or other solid objects. You must measure around them.

"Some terrain features such as the thick walls that separate corridors, the floors and ceilings that separate levels, or large rock formations looming up from the landscape are defined by the rules as 'solid'. Unless otherwise stated, distances cannot be measured through any terrain feature defined as being solid.

~ Core Rulebook page 58"

Hallucinations does not "otherwise state".

Bonus fun fact, the psyker power "walk through walls" cannot measure through walls either.

If you guys have been measuring through walls for this power, then you have been playing it incorrectly.

Reactions: Lunarcruiser
While Hallucinations does not require line of sight, you cannot measure distances though walls or other solid objects. You must measure around them.

"Some terrain features such as the thick walls that separate corridors, the floors and ceilings that separate levels, or large rock formations looming up from the landscape are defined by the rules as 'solid'. Unless otherwise stated, distances cannot be measured through any terrain feature defined as being solid.

~ Core Rulebook page 58"

Bonus fun fact, the psyker power "walk through walls" cannot measure through walls either.

If you guys have been measuring through walls for this power, then you have been playing it incorrectly.
Good points on line of effect

~ Core Rulebook page 58"

The first part is correct. You cannot cast through solid terrain. Things like barrels wouln't count as solid btw.

But whether or not you can cast "walk through walls" through solid terrain is pretty debatable. Like from a strict rules perspective that's correct but the intent is pretty clearly to do exacty that.

Either way, given your psychic oponent, it would be worth agreeing on which terrain pieces you count as solid before starting a game.

Others have already posted a good solution. My suggestion isn't really a "solution" but it could still be fun. Buy some mindflect shards and start sending his gangers insane as well.