spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.

In the north, there is the arm of the Great Forest known locally as the “Gryphon’s Wood” that follows the line of the Upper Talabec and contains the province's new capital, Bechafen. The Gryphon’s Wood around Bechafen has long been the centre of Ostermark’s political and economic life, especially since the destruction of the old capital at Mordheim in 1999 IC. The region’s main exports are lumber and riverboats, the latter often built on the spot from some of the trees harvested that season.
Every Count in the Empire will maintain their own personal guard, these are Greatswords, veterans of many battles, almost as tough as my lads. Hertwig was no exception, he kept a retinue in his capitol, although also syphoned off portions to guard his commanders. The regiment that joined us was known as the Bears, both for their stubborn nature and the fighting bear they brought with them. As the Gryphons wood and northern border of Ostermark is so close to Kislev, the warriors there also share an affinity with Bears from their northern neighbours.

The Bears, Greatswords of Gryphon's Wood

These guys were great fun to paint. I love the old greatsword models. I really wish they had a couple of extra poses, but hey, they are a delight either way.

They are not great on the battlefield, always striking last, and only being str/t 3 with a 4+ save, they are basically a very middle of the road unit, that costs a lot. However I love the fluff and the models, so I'll be trying them as much as I can to see if I can find a niche for them.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
So, the battlefield is a confusing place, commanders must be able to identify their troops at a glance, sargeants will want to pull their troopers back in line, and know who is theirs. The way this is done at an army level is through banners, regular army will always march under a banner, each trooper knows their own, as that is what they must rally around. At a more local level, troopers regularly wear coloured feathers or other identifying marks of colour so they can tell their fellows from the rest in a melee.

The Counts Greatswords had green feathers. The gunnery college at Bechafen equips their troops with a blue feather. This is the only occurance where different regiments will have the same colour, as the pistoliers and the handgunners from the college all wore the same. There was a great rivarly between the two regiments, marksmen compeitions were regluar occurances, and as this led to troops from both practicing off their own backs, the champions of both encouraged this friendly competition wherever possible. The footgunners are often referred to as black and blues, due to the soot and smoke that would cover them after their first volley. They have adopted this with a level of pride, a sign of a hard days work, unlike the reckless riders of the pistolliers.

Bechafen College Gunners 'Black and Blues'

These are a really fun regiment, I have made a full command for them, although I suspect these will be the first things dropped when points are tight as they actually do very very little for the unit.

I'll try to put up my progress chart at the end of the week, more has been done, but progress has slowed quite a bit recently, starting to feel a little burnt out, and have branched out to get some other random models done as well. Also, I built a steam tank over the weekend, although it might not make it into the spreadsheet for this month.