N18 Outcast: gang champions

xnimorz

May 16, 2021
Hey!
I'm super excited with the outcasts book as they are basically Lego blocks where I can do lots of things, however, it came with lots of unclearnesses.

In the Book of Outcasts in the section on Champion archetype it says:
When recruited an Underhive Outcasts Champion must select an Archetype; This will determinate skills they have access to

At the same time, I see in section of Leader Archetypes:

an Archetype will also influence the Leader's gang

I find these two parts a little opposite (depending on how to read the second quote)

Does it mean I can hire a Leader who is Survivor and a Champion who is Brawler? Or according to the second quote Leader's Archetype influence all my champion to have the same Archetype?

Reactions: TopsyKretts

SweetOrbMace

Ganger
Feb 18, 2019
Hey!
I'm super excited with the outcasts book as they are basically Lego blocks where I can do lots of things, however, it came with lots of unclearnesses.

I find these two parts a little opposite (depending on how to read the second quote)

Does it mean I can hire a Leader who is Survivor and a Champion who is Brawler? Or according to the second quote Leader's Archetype influence all my champion to have the same Archetype?

My reading of it was that it’s really just a narrative steer for you (the player) rather than something to influence the rules.

So, I’d say yes as per the rules as written you can have a leader’s archetype be different from your champions’.

And I agree about the book - it’s got a fantastic level of flexibility. Hope you have fun making a gang.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
No, you misunderstand! I believe your comment is on the words "brawler", "gunslinger", "survivor", "mastermind" and "wyrd", as direct equivalent to "skillset A", "skillset B", "skillset C" etc. My comment was for the word "archetype".

SweetOrbMace

Ganger
Feb 18, 2019
No, you misunderstand! I believe your comment is on the words "brawler", "gunslinger", "survivor", "mastermind" and "wyrd", as direct equivalent to "skillset A", "skillset B", "skillset C" etc. My comment was for the word "archetype".
Right - and they’re archetypes.

Squee

Gang Champion
Jan 11, 2019
Hey!

You do select the archetypes for both your Leader and separately for each of your Outcast Champions. That means that they could each have the same archetype, or some could have one and other another, or even that every one has a different archetype.

The section mentioning Leader's archetype having impact on the gang is either an artifact of an earlier rules variant or the devs messed up Archetype and Affiliation.

julezwr

Juve
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 9, 2020
Nelson, New Zealand
Say I have a Outcasts Leader and I want to give him a gold plated, master crafter weapon... How would that be possible when both the gold plated and master crafted upgrades have a rarity of 11 and Outcasts Leaders are limited to weapons/wargear with a rarity of 9 or less?

SweetOrbMace

Ganger
Feb 18, 2019
Yo
Say I have a Outcasts Leader and I want to give him a gold plated, master crafter weapon... How would that be possible when both the gold plated and master crafted upgrades have a rarity of 11 and Outcasts Leaders are limited to weapons/wargear with a rarity of 9 or less?

You’d have to wait until your first post-battle trading post action and a) have enough credits; b) roll 11 or more on your rare trade roll.