N18 Overwatch Vs Overwatch

Mr.E.

Aug 22, 2021
Hey There Hivescum,

This came up in a skirmish last night if Adam is declaring an action and Eve uses overwatch to try and prevent that action can Lilith use overwatch to try and prevent Eve's overwatch.

overwatch states "they can interrupt a visible enemy's action as soon as it's declared but before it's carried out" in the above scenario Eve is declaring they are using overwatch to make a basic shoot action so Lillith can use overwatch?

We are skirmishing to sort out rules for our upcoming campaign and would like to play as close to RAW as possible with as few house rules/clarifications as possible to minimize confusion and downtime due to rules discussion.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
In spirit I’d say no, just because you could end up with weird standoffs where they’re all overwatching each other waiting for one to activate an action. Then everyone gets stuck in a loop.

What happens if Adam activated to shoot Eve, but Eve overwatches to stop Adam shooting her but Lilith overwatches to stop Eve stopping Adam? And then what happens if Eve’s buddy Barry overwatches to stop Lilith shooting Eve?

Does anyone get shot or do they all get shot in a reverse cascade?? Does Eve get shot twice by Adam and Lilith?

If Barry stops Lilith she can’t stop Eve so does Lilith and Adam get shot? Or does only Lilith get shot as all the others are cancelled out??

In fluffiness snipers often hunted out other snipers so maybe it could work? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mr.E.

Aug 22, 2021
Well If the enemy fighter is pinned or seriously injured by the overwatch shot then they lose their action, So I was thinking of resolving it last in first out, Barry misses Lilith so she takes her shot at Eve which hits and pines her meaning she doesn't get to overwatch shoot Adam. Adam then gets to continue with this action.

Squee

Gang Champion
Jan 11, 2019
Well If the enemy fighter is pinned or seriously injured by the overwatch shot then they lose their action, So I was thinking of resolving it last in first out, Barry misses Lilith so she takes her shot at Eve which hits and pines her meaning she doesn't get to overwatch shoot Adam. Adam then gets to continue with this action.
RaW this is how it works.

Whether such Overwatch daisy-chains will actually be fun for anyone is another question entirely.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
RaW this is how it works.

Whether such Overwatch daisy-chains will actually be fun for anyone is another question entirely.
ORB era overwatch standoffs suggests no.

RAW I agree. RAI is debatable.

*I* believe it’s intended to interrupt an enemy’s action and allow your fighter to “jump the queue” and activate instead.

While my example was silly (intended) it would be possible to do but I don’t think they intended overwatch to stack like that.

As always you might have to house rule that. I know OP wants to stick to RAWas much as possible though so I’d stick to one overwatch per enemy action.

Reactions: Mr.E.