Vimak

Nov 1, 2019
I have a problem in a campaign about Overwatch skill RAW. What counts action Carried out? Maybe this thin line drops in translation.
Game situations :
1. My sniper stands on a long narrow street and enemy ganger runs across with one move. I dons have LOS on him on start or end of his move. BUT i see him in a middle. Can i shoot him ?
2 Same but enemy charges me.(charge begins behind the corner)

I'm afraid I don't play N18, so don't know the relevant wording, beyond what's in your post. But... if it says 'carried out' this is past tense.

Does it say that you can shoot your opponent after he has carried out his action? If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like you can interrupt the action in progress.

(In the 1990s, you could interrupt opponent's actions, but I wouldn't take that as precedent since it was a different game.)

I'm afraid I don't play N18, so don't know the relevant wording, beyond what's in your post. But... if it says 'carried out' this is past tense.

Does it say that you can shoot your opponent after he has carried out his action? If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like you can interrupt the action in progress.

(In the 1990s, you could interrupt opponent's actions, but I wouldn't take that as precedent since it was a different game.)
It says i can interrupt/shoot enemy as soon as opponent declares an action untill the opponent "carry out " an action.
Some of my opponents think that model "carry out" moving when models BEGIN to move. I think model "carry out" move when it reaches end of a distance.

exact text from 2018 rulebook
6. OVERWATCH If this fighter is Standing and Active, and has a Ready marker on them, they can interrupt a visible enemy fighter’s action as soon as it is declared but before it is carried out. This fighter loses their Ready marker, then immediately makes a Shoot (Basic) action, targeting the enemy fighter whose action they have interrupted. If the enemy is Pinned or Seriously Injured as a result, their activation ends immediately, and their action(s) are not made

Reactions: Ben_S
One of my bro say that "soon as" makes me shoot the first moment i see the model (if i'm right about shooting in a middle of a move)

Hmm, not entirely clear (to me at least). However, the "as soon as it is declared" leads me to suspect that you have to shoot between the declaration and the (start of the) actual movement, rather than being able to interrupt mid-move. As I said though, I don't play N18, so I'm only going on what you've said here.

Reactions: Aulenback
It would be clearer if 'carried out' was replaced, either with 'begun' or 'completed' (or something to that effect).

However, I note also that the final sentence says the action is 'not made' rather than 'not completed'. I think that's further evidence that it isn't actually started.

The charge Action tells you to move plus D3", and THEN get a free "fight" Action.

Fight after a charge is a discrete - and free and mandatory, but still discrete - Action. So it would be shooting after the movement, when the free Fight Action is declared, but before the free Fight Action happens.

BUT ... at that point the Overwatching chargee is now Engaged. Can an Engaged fighter take a Shoot Action (because just as Charge gives a free Fight Action, Overwatch gives a Shoot Action)?

I don't think so. I think Shoot (Basic) is restricted to Standing and Active, and not allowed for Standing and Engaged, so I don't think in either case, the Overwatch fighter would get to shoot. It isn't "interrupt an action once you can see them," it is explicitly "interrupt an action immediately after it is announced but before any of that action is carried out." So if you cannot see them before they do the thing, you don't get to after.

So I would say RaW says No and No, respectively. The first ganger is not visible at the start of their Move (Simple) action, and that is the only action we hear about, so no Overwatch shot. The second ganger IS visible when they begin their free Fight (Simple) action, but at that point the Overwatch shooter is already Engaged (starting at the end of the Move part of Charge (Double)).
The timing is that Overwatch's Shoot (Basic) action takes place 1. after the oponent's action is declared, and 2. before that action happens/is carried out. Ben looks to be correct.

"they can interrupt a visible enemy fighter’s action as soon as it is declared but before it is carried out.

1) Visible
2) As soon as declared
3) Before carried out

We've always interpreted that to mean the shot has to occur before the target actually does anything, (reload, cast a spell, fire a weapon, more, etc.). So, could not be used if the opponent does not begin visible to over watching fighter. This is different from the previous (1995) edition.

"they can interrupt a visible enemy fighter’s action as soon as it is declared but before it is carried out.

1) Visible
2) As soon as declared
3) Before carried out

We've always interpreted that to mean the shot has to occur before the target actually does anything, (reload, cast a spell, fire a weapon, more, etc.). So, could not be used if the opponent does not begin visible to over watching fighter. This is different from the previous (1995) edition.
Yep we deside to play this way. Main problem was with "carried out" for me and some of my gamemates it sounds like untill action is finished.

Our experience thus far:

N95 Overwatch being not a skill, but just an action for everyone, that interrupts at any time during an opponent's action, caused headache for some. (I played a lot of Ratskins and Pit Slaves, back then, after Orlocks. Ratskins could pretty easily avoid thanks to Blindsnake Pouches, but I got very good at being careful, with Pit Slaves.)

N23 Overwatch is a skill (thus has an investment cost), requires a Ready marker (thus has an action economy cost), and can only target when an action is announced but before it takes place (thus limits targets).

My "feeling" thus far is that any two of those last restrictions would be solid, but all three together makes overwatch ... extra un-useful.

I write this as someone who has not yet had a fighter with overwatch in the new editions, but has had an opponent who has fighters with overwatch in the new editions; and also as someone who played(s) a LOT of N95. As such, I come with my habits of avoiding Overwatch well ingrained, which may play into how little use of Overwatch my opponents get. Also as such, mileage may vary against other opponents.

Last edited: