N18 Palanite Enforcers - magnacles mechanics

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Hello hive mind. I'm the arbitrator for my group and we're about to start our 3rd campaign. We're doing the law and misrule campaign and I'll be also playing as the Palatine Enforcers. They seem a great pick for an arbitrator.

I'm made a few test lists and figured our what I want but in my last test game we stumbled over the Magnacles equipment rule.

'A fighter equipped with Magnacles can try to lock them onto an enemy in base contact as an Attack (Basic) action. The target must make an Initiative check to avoid the attack. If this test is failed they are locked in place and cannot move, cannot make ranged attacks and can only make melee attacks at -2 to hit.' (P.120 BoJ)

So at face value this seems a particular type of action which occurs automatically and the target rolls the initiative check to avoid it. Being a basic action it is important to distinguish this from the Fight (Basic) action. But this is where it becomes problematic. The only way this can be used seems to be in an ongoing combat as there is no reference to any such action as an 'Attack (Basic)' action anywhere in any book. After searching online a Reddit user pointed out the phrase 'Attack action' is used in the 66 Memorable Death description on the Lasting Injury table (P.87 Necromunda Rulebook). In this instance an 'Attack action' seems to refer to any action that was an attack whether ranged or close combat. In both the Shooting and Close Combat sections in the first paragraph these are called both called 'attacks' (P.64 & P.68 Necromunda Rulebook). So this seems a fairly pointless piece of wargear considering most enemy fighters will have a 3+ or 4+ initiative and the fighter has to survive a round of combat to use it.

So next I consider the magnacles attack within the context of the Palanite Enforcers broader context. They have a lot of weapons that have the 'Concussion' rule such as the Concussion Carbine, Concussion Ram or the Stun Rounds for the Subjugator pattern grenade launcher. This is an exciting rule as if an enforcer hits an enemy with any of these weapons (2 of them are blast), the enemy will suffer a -2 initiative for the remainder of the round. The magnacles then seem designed to work specifically with these weapons. An enemy is targeted, concussed, then another enforcer moves in and magnacles them while they are too concussed to easily avoid the magnacles attack. This is again problematic as previously established considering that magnacles can only be used in an ongoing close combat, Rules as Written. For this combination to work, a friendly fighter would need to fire into an ongoing combat and only hit the enemy model (again 2 of those 3 weapons mentioned are blast), or hit both but not seriously injure the friendly model. Following the successful ranged attack the fighter in melee could then use the magnacles attack. This seems a stupid way to perform the magnacles attack with the number of steps and risk involved.

I'm convinced that magnacles are intended to work alongside the 'Concussion' rule and should therefore also be used as a substitute for the free Fight (Basic) action during a Charge (Double) action. This is how I'm thinking of house ruling it as I'd really like to lean into this faction's baked in skills/abilities/wargear and weapons. The enforcer attacker is losing their free Fight (Basic) attacks and the opponent will be able to retaliate as normal (or at -2 WS if magnacles is successful) regardless.

I'd like to know if other players or arbitrators have come across this issue and are house ruling it? Have I missed anything in my analysis of the rules around this issue? Do people foresee any major problems with the house rule?

Amarok

Juve
Nov 25, 2019
So if you use the magnacles instead a Fight (basic) action during the charge, which I fully agree with... Would you make that action as as fight action (you have to hit, +1 attack for the charge and so on) or just make it happens (magnacles "hit" auto) and the opponent makes the initiative check inmediatly?

As a second question, as far as I tested the Enforcers for a similar campaign myself, if you get a perma death in your gang, and in case you keep the weapon and wargear of the poor guy, can you sell them normally? magnacles, undersuit, stubgun... A fresh rookie come with those anyways for free.

And talking about that, the free rookie only comes from the academy if you have a perma death, but rules as written, if you have more in a game, you wouldn´t get more free juves. I have been playing like that, but do you think that´s the intention of that rule, or would you make any casualty should bring a free rookie without limit?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: David Scotney

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
1) Yes, it is autohit. This is a special action that takes the place of the fight action. Otherwise you could hit and magnacle someone multiple times? If it required a single hit with a single attack, it would need a wording similar to some of the one-punch abilities from Orlock.
2) This is a problem related to starting gear, not enforcers or magnacles in particular. The way I solved it in my house rules is for the enforcers everyone can gain magnacles, stubgun or flak armour for free. They can discard it any time. But never sell it. This is quite unique for enforcers as you could argue from fluff that they're given this equipment as part of the job from their precinct.

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
"So if you use the magnacles instead a Fight (basic) action during the charge, which I fully agree with... Would you make that action as as fight action (you have to hit, +1 attack for the charge and so on) or just make it happens (magnacles "hit" auto) and the opponent makes the initiative check inmediatly?"
So I'm saying to substitute this Attack (Basic) action for the free Fight (Basic) action. This means that after completing a Charge (Double) action. If this was treated as a Fight (Basic) action, which I considered, then it would be too powerful as a fighter would get several magnacles attacks, and this doesn't appear to be the intent of the Rule as Written. It's a different type of attack that is automatic that is not a Fight (Basic) action (but I want to treat it as a substitute for it. The enemy fighter then makes their initiative test. Then retaliates following the normal Close Combat sequence.

2) This is a problem related to starting gear, not enforcers or magnacles in particular. The way I solved it in my house rules is for the enforcers everyone can gain magnacles, stubgun or flak armour for free. They can discard it any time. But never sell it. This is quite unique for enforcers as you could argue from fluff that they're given this equipment as part of the job from their precinct.

Totally agree. My thinking is that since the Enforcers got the FAQ that they can use the Trading Post like a gang then there's no reason they can't sell excess gear like normal. This narratively works as a precinct captain, down on his luck with a rubbish budget, is forced to sell official excess equipment to be able to afford better gear for their squad. Nothing wrong with a little embezzling for the good of the hive.

As for swapping out gear it does say that any fighter can be given multiple fighter cards (P.29 BoJ). Based on the campaign and the lack of boons the enforcers get from the territories or rackets, not to mention how expensive the enforcers are to replace, I'm expecting them to be a pretty poor faction. I think selling excess weapons/gear is the solution for this, and lets face it a stub pistol or flak armour are not going to bring in more than 5 creds. I'm also expecting to keep my stub pistols and will try to play my enforcers as fluffy as possible. This means I'm going to try to keep their weapons to their Equipment List with only occasional upgrades from the Trading Post. Long term I'm thinking some Light Carapace armour, a meltagun and a missile launcher. These all seem like reasonable weapons for enforcers to use.

Reactions: TheCaptain1989

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
You make a good argument for selling free items RAW in one specific campaign, dominion. Not sure it holds up in other campaigns? Outlander, Law & Misrule, Uprising. Personally I stay away from official campaigns so whatever shortcomings and limitations exist there doesn't apply to how I play enforcers. I feel like free selling free stuff smells 'gamey', but as you point out, depending on the circumstances, it doesn't have to be.

Reactions: David Scotney

Amarok

Juve
Nov 25, 2019
As for swapping out gear it does say that any fighter can be given multiple fighter cards (P.29 BoJ). Based on the campaign and the lack of boons the enforcers get from the territories or rackets, not to mention how expensive the enforcers are to replace, I'm expecting them to be a pretty poor faction. I think selling excess weapons/gear is the solution for this, and lets face it a stub pistol or flak armour are not going to bring in more than 5 creds. I'm also expecting to keep my stub pistols and will try to play my enforcers as fluffy as possible. This means I'm going to try to keep their weapons to their Equipment List with only occasional upgrades from the Trading Post. Long term I'm thinking some Light Carapace armour, a meltagun and a missile launcher. These all seem like reasonable weapons for enforcers to use.
Where is it written that Enforcers do not get boons from rackets? I´m trying to do a Law and misrule campaign as well, combined with a Dominion one, and I was thinking to introduce rackets to give something tasty for Enforcers to fight for credit wise. I checked again the basic rules, but I couldn´t find the rule.
You make a good argument for selling free items RAW in one specific campaign, dominion. Not sure it holds up in other campaigns? Outlander, Law & Misrule, Uprising. Personally I stay away from official campaigns so whatever shortcomings and limitations exist there doesn't apply to how I play enforcers. I feel like free selling free stuff smells 'gamey', but as you point out, depending on the circumstances, it doesn't have to be.
I introduced the question on selling the "free stuff" just when you have it in the stash when one of your gangers perma die and get a free rookie replacement. As far as you don´t get use for those items (magnacles, stubgun, undersuit) because the fresh from the academy rookie already has got them and all your gang as well, there´s little usoe on those but to sell them. I wouldn´t do it with a regular alive ganger though, as far as it is part of their regular Enforcer equipment (only this latter I would find "gamey")

Another question about Enforcers that came to me after checking this issues is: a free rookie is rating 0? Yaktribe underhive tool makes it rating 0 indeed. Not a big deal, but if you use tactic cards in particular and gang rating in general, this could have some impact. What are you thoughts?

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Where is it written that Enforcers do not get boons from rackets? I´m trying to do a Law and misrule campaign as well, combined with a Dominion one, and I was thinking to introduce rackets to give something tasty for Enforcers to fight for credit wise. I checked again the basic rules, but I couldn´t find the rule.
Look under 'Police Territory' in the Dominion Campaign section, it says:

'The Enforcers gain control of the Territory, but gain no Boons from it' (P.31 BoJ)

As rackets also have Boons then I would say that they don't get those either. Basically the cops just gain reputation and that's it. This is why I think they'll be a pretty poor gang to play. Using intrigues will help and I'm definitely going to lean into capturing as many enemies as possible (hence the original magnacles discussion).

I feel like free selling free stuff smells 'gamey', but as you point out, depending on the circumstances, it doesn't have to be.

Yeah I can see how it would. I'll see how we go. If it seems too easy to make lots of creds from selling dead guys gear then I'll stop doing it. My players have encouraged me to do what ever I want with them since they got the FAQ opening up access to everything. Thanks for the advice.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway

I introduced the question on selling the "free stuff" just when you have it in the stash when one of your gangers perma die and get a free rookie replacement. As far as you don´t get use for those items (magnacles, stubgun, undersuit) because the fresh from the academy rookie already has got them and all your gang as well, there´s little usoe on those but to sell them. I wouldn´t do it with a regular alive ganger though, as far as it is part of their regular Enforcer equipment (only this latter I would find "gamey")

Another question about Enforcers that came to me after checking this issues is: a free rookie is rating 0? Yaktribe underhive tool makes it rating 0 indeed. Not a big deal, but if you use tactic cards in particular and gang rating in general, this could have some impact. What are you thoughts?
Free fighters is always a problem when the cost is also 0. Getting something for free is ok, but the rating is very bad for 0. On the other hand, rating for all their free stuff is inflated. Magnacles is what, 20?

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Free fighters is always a problem when the cost is also 0. Getting something for free is ok, but the rating is very bad for 0. On the other hand, rating for all their free stuff is inflated. Magnacles is what, 20?
Yeah this does seem a little problematic. Today I'm working on trying to create an alternative system for the difference in rating. We find after there is significant difference between gang ratings, say 500+, that the book keeping on tactics cards gets ridiculous, and often does little to counter the severe imbalance of the gangs. As it's way off topic for this thread though, I won't get into it here.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

JayTee

Ganger
Jun 14, 2015
Look under 'Police Territory' in the Dominion Campaign section, it says:

'The Enforcers gain control of the Territory, but gain no Boons from it' (P.31 BoJ)

As rackets also have Boons then I would say that they don't get those either. Basically the cops just gain reputation and that's it. This is why I think they'll be a pretty poor gang to play. Using intrigues will help and I'm definitely going to lean into capturing as many enemies as possible (hence the original magnacles discussion).
Nah, that entire callout box only relates to Dominion Campaigns; in the Law & Misrule, Uprising, and Outcast Campaigns, Enforcers work like every other gang. Rackets are not territories, they function somewhat like them, but they are not territories so rules relating to territories have no effect on rackets.
This.

Enforcer Gangers clearly have some of their equipment costs baked in but their basic equipment costs 60 creds so unless their body has been costed out as 10 creds, there's something wacky going on. If you compare them with Escher Gangers, they have 1 worse Initiative but are 20 creds more expensive so I'd maybe suggest GW has costed their "free" equipment at 30 creds.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Nah, that entire callout box only relates to Dominion Campaigns; in the Law & Misrule, Uprising, and Outcast Campaigns, Enforcers work like every other gang. Rackets are not territories, they function somewhat like them, but they are not territories so rules relating to territories have no effect on rackets.
Ah yes I see.

Well we are playing a combined campaign so I think it will be fine for us. Thanks for pointing that out though.

I will play so that I don't get Boons from Territory but I will get Boons from Rackets. Does that make sense?

Reactions: spafe