GorkaMorka Papercraft vehicles...

So, as an option for building vehicles that are either hard to find, out of production, or expensive collectors items, I have found myself drawn into the scratchbuilding world using paper.

Eli Patoroch has some great designs, and you can links to his files on Zealot and Paper Modeler forums (look for Armorman's thrreads) and Facebook with Warhammer Paperfabricators. The guy is a legend creating paper models to vehicles GW and Forgeworld have yet to make... But he also has a ton of vehicles that are unique in that they are real world armored vehicles with 40K features (bolters, autocannons, lascannons in lieu of the real world equivelents).

Patoroch is not the only source however, as Genet Models has designs that are very well suited to the scenarios encountered on Angelis in Gorkamorka. One in particular is this 4x4:

There are a few others, like the 6x6 and convoy models in both 28mm and 15mm scale that would serve well for Gorkers, Morkers, and Diggas to run as 'looted' with some kit bashing, Since I'm trying to piece together some Dustrats, I might end up using this as the basis for kit bashing some Light Recce vehicles as the above armored car is beyond the scope of Gorkamorka (and the BMP replacement for the Chimera as well).

It's a toss up for the Dustrat Support and Salvage Vehicle though! Either designer has a few designs that would provide a great basis for that vehicle!

I'll see what I can come up with, and if there is a lot of interest here in Yaktribe, I will certainly have to post a build thread. I love getting constructive criticism and input from the model builders out there for methods and techniques. If you have never used paper before, let me tell you, it is pretty awesome with how closely you can get it to resemble the real thing, especially when you go the extra step or two to prime and paint the models. While cost is my primary concern, paper is cheap and available; many designs can be adapted to sheets of styrene plasti-card without too much effort (i.e. don't worry about bend tabs at that point).

those are paper? like, not plastic?

isn’t @nooker really into paper craft stuff?
Yes, all paper. Index card stock printed with the templates on the Patoroch models. Genet 4x4 was some bristol. I did use PLA 3D printed wheels on the armored car however.... What is nice about PLA being a plant based bioplastic is that the wood glue I used (Titebond III here in the US/North America) worked without any issues and I think any good PVA glue can bond PLA to paper in this manner.

Realism is all in the paint... After all, look at the bits of plastic master modelers have made us believe is flesh, metal, stone, and wood! Key with paper is to use a good clear coat witih a matte finish when you print prior to cutting and gluing to ensure the warping doesn't happen. For long runs, reinforce with strips of paper folded into triangles... Which means I'm going to HAVE to do a build thread here and show everybody what I mean by that!

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Supporter
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
isn’t @nooker really into paper craft stuff?
Yeah he’ll be on this like a tramp on chips. I made a load of terrain out of card with glued on details, can’t remember the name of the company though. Took a while but it filled a board and we had some bloody good scraps on it. It’s all warped and stuff now though after a year or so in the loft. Sad face.

Reactions: ThreeDice

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
Those are awesome and the tanks are most impressive! I have yet to get through a Patoroch model as I have trouble without tabs and all the round stuff (cutting circles with a hobby knife is hard). What kind of paper do you use? I have a log here:
that I haven't updated in a dog's age. One more free site that you should check out is: ww.toposolitario.es. His stuff is really cool and comes together nicely. I also made a trukk that I really like for my Gorka hummies (goliath) from a kit bash from World Works Games.

Reactions: Sudsy
Those are awesome and the tanks are most impressive! I have yet to get through a Patoroch model as I have trouble without tabs and all the round stuff (cutting circles with a hobby knife is hard). What kind of paper do you use? I have a log here:
that I haven't updated in a dog's age. One more free site that you should check out is: ww.toposolitario.es. His stuff is really cool and comes together nicely. I also made a trukk that I really like for my Gorka hummies (goliath) from a kit bash from World Works Games.
My armored car is made from A4 Index Card stock, it runs 80#/218 gsm for weight. Those BMP's run the gammut of various paper types I had lying around... From just good ol' laser printer paper for rolling those smoke grenade launchers and gun barrels to bristol glued to cereal/cracker box/folder cardboard. Loads of trial and error (mostly error) involved.

I'll be following your postings here shortly! Always fun to meet other paper model builders and see what we can learn from each other!

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am tempted to get this for the straight blades:
Cuz I'm working on:
and the railing are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Sudsy
I am tempted to get this for the straight blades:
Cuz I'm working on:
and the railing are a pain in the ass.
You might give the ol' Xacto chisel blades a try if you can find them near the NO. 11s... At least for the interim.

Reactions: nooker