N18 Perils of the Underhive

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Another useless bodypart weapon: Giant Rat got "Jaws".

So we have Jaws, Ferocious Jaws, Vicious Jaws, Enormous claws, Savage bite, Open fist, Mutated fist (& bone spur), Grav-fist, Augmetic fist, Tunneling claw, Servo-claw, Servo-arm, Beak & talons, Talons, Razor-sharp talons...

Aren't we missing something? How come we haven't got "enormous ferocious servo-sharp bite fists" yet?

Of course they capped the poor rat's weapon to strength 3, so any Strength advancement would be worthless (or highly situational at best). And of course they couldn't give the rat jaws which counts as "Fighting knife", because then that would give -1 AP, oh the horror that would be!

reough

Ganger
Mar 19, 2015
Thematically nice, but logistically a pain. Should be easy enough if you're using gang cards, but a massive pain if you're writing out or consulting lists of weapons.

They could have just left the rat as a piece of wargear that gave the same bonuses to avoid Perils, but I suppose the little guys add flavor and options which seems to be the theme of the book.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
It would be perfectly thematic to say Jaws counts as Fighting knife. They have done earlier so in other instances. They've also made a new unique weapon earlier for a special fighter with the exact same weapon profile as an already existing weapon (doh!). I'm currently updating my own rules document and it includes a COMPLETE list of everything. We already got more than 150 unique weapon profiles. Nobody needed to add Jaws to that list.

I'm ok with more pets, we only have 9 and Bounty Hunters didn't have any easily available ones.

Last edited:

el_guestos

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Leeds, England, UK
It would be perfectly thematic to say Jaws counts as Fighting knife. They have done earlier so in other instances. They've also made a new unique weapon earlier for a special fighter with the exact same weapon profile as an already existing weapon (doh!). I'm currently updating my own rules document and it includes a COMPLETE list of everything. We already got more than 150 unique weapon profiles. Nobody needed to add Jaws to that list.

I'm ok with more pets, we only have 9 and Bounty Hunters didn't have any easily available ones.
I’d be interested in having a look at that list (only if that’s cool with you of course!?)

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
When a fighter uses the archaeotech device, roll a D6 to determine what it is. If you roll a 6, it is a weapon with the Sidearm trait, any fighter class can use this weapon regardless of weapon restrictions. Roll again. If you roll again. If you roll a 6, it is a Grenade Launcher (frag).

1) How does a Grenade Launcher (frag) with Sidearm work in close combat? Seems like this is the first time Blast can be used in close combat, it has always been avoided for special and unique rules or effects earlier?
2) When is this rolled? First time it is used, during the battle in any round/activation the fighter wish to try it? Before the battle? Before/after deployment or crew selection?

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
1) How does a Grenade Launcher (frag) with Sidearm work in close combat? Seems like this is the first time Blast can be used in close combat, it has always been avoided for special and unique rules or effects earlier?
There should probably be a rule that states once and for all that Blast and Template weapons can never be used for CC attacks. This seems to be the intent, but this one slipped through the net.

2) When is this rolled? First time it is used, during the battle in any round/activation the fighter wish to try it? Before the battle? Before/after deployment or crew selection?
It's rolled the first time the Archaetoch Device is equipped to a fighter (during step 6.D of the post-battle sequence). At least, this is how I understand this:
When a player buys an Archaeotech Device from the Trading Post, they won’t know what it does. They must allocate it to one of their fighters and roll on the Archaeotech Device table to determine its type.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
There should probably be a rule that states once and for all that Blast and Template weapons can never be used for CC attacks. This seems to be the intent, but this one slipped through the net.
nah! there should so be allowed blasts with sidearm... allows you to detonate the combat, hilarious! shrapnel for everyone!

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Okay but that makes me wonder about this:

If an Archaeotech Device is given to a different fighter in the gang for any reason, the new fighter must pass an Intelligence check the first time they wish to activate it.

Does this mean that if you transfer the item from one fighter to another, you must pass a new intelliegence check and roll again to see what it does?

Edit: On second thought, I guess this means the next fighter must learn how to use it first, the type doesn't change.

Reactions: Thorgor and spafe

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
There is a HUGE advancement when it comes to writing scenario rules in this book! Take a look (from Escape the Badzone scenario):

Fighters removed in this way (escaped) are ignored for the purposes of making Bottle tests (i.e., they do not count as part of the crew size but also do not count as having been taken Out of Action).

Would have been nice to see this kind of details for the previous (32?) scenarios.

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
About the conflicting weapon profiles we get in every damn book:

• Aramista's stiletto knife (+1 to hit, none in rulebook)
  • Apollus' Bolt gun (4+ Am, 6+ in rulebook)
Are these supposed to be updates? Or secretly unique weapons with a name that is not unique?

I HATE conflicting profiles, specially the way it is done here.
  • They can't be used as reference for other fighters. You brought one of these cards for your Bounty Hunter? I forgot to note down the profile on one of my fighters with a weapon with the exact same name? Great, I can't use or copy yours. Or worse, I didn't realize it was different, and copy/use the profile any way! Or the opposite, you just had a quick read-through, and didn't notice the difference, so you're using the standard version instead of the unique one.
  • Insanely difficult to memorize. Allright, you're shooting with a bolt gun? No point remembering the rules for boltgun, it isn't a unique weapon. Can't look up the weapon, you must look up the fighter using it to find thte correct weapon. And that profile is in a book where all the damn bounty hunters are scattered throughout the pages!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thorgor

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
The Wyrd power "Scouring" is now published in book form (Perils). It has Strength 2. This is different from the latest Chaos Cult pdf (version 2) where it has Strength 3. Also, they failed at specifying that this is a Continuous Effect?!?

What does this mean?
  1. This update should overrule the previous, so Chaos now has Strength 2 Scouring?
  2. A mistake, all Scouring should be Strength 3?
  3. Chaos has a different Scouring psychic power than everyone else?
The Wyrd power Assail now Cults' version, NOT the rulebook version. Is this an update, mistake or new unique wyrd power?

The Bounty Hunter layout is a complete mess. Frag grenades is listed under wargear (without any details of its stats) while Blasting charge is under weapons and has stats written on the card. Fearsome is listed under special rules, not skills. Sometimes listed under skills and special rules?!? Sometimes the generic bounty hunter rules (Dead, Not Alive, "We'll Get Our Bit...", Claiming Bounties) is listed on the card, sometimes not.

Written by multiple people who can't communicate with each other, have never played the game and generally have no idea. Sloppy work once again!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
The Wyrd power "Scouring" is now published in book form (Perils). It has Strength 2. This is different from the latest Chaos Cult pdf (version 2) where it has Strength 3.
It's just yet another conflicting profile issue, as those powers are not printed as a generic wyrd powers reference list, but are tied to specific dramatis personae (Mortanna and Thaetos).
So, either it's a stealth nerf (because Scouring was clearly overpowered >_>), an error (Scouring is still Str 3) or the cultists can for some reason use a version of the power that is more powerful than the bounty hunters'. I'd go with the error.
Not that it matters much since Scouring is practically unusable either way and dramatis personae are too overpriced to be hired.

The Assail from Ghast harvest doesn't really make sense (you can target an obstacle but, if hit "the enemy" is moved). I think what they want to write is that you can target either an enemy fighter or an obstacle. If hit, you can move the target D3" in any direction and then, if it was a Standing fighter, they become Pinned. If the target comes into contact with a Standing fighter or any terrain, it stops moving and any fighter involved in the collision suffers a S3 D1 hit. If the target comes into contact with a Standing fighter, this fighter becomes Pinned.

As for conflicting weapon profiles, I'd just assume the card is in error and use the GotU's profile, except maybe for Kal's laspistols because they technically have a unique name (but in this case they don't get to benefit from the mastercrafted reroll)

I don't get why they keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over. The whole point of having stuff like an armoury or weapon traits is to have a single definition for things that you can then simply reference whenever you need it, so why didn't they make a similar reference list for wyrd powers and why do they keep reprinting weapon profiles everywhere?
At least, they don't do that for other skillsets... imagine if the whole definition of each skill was reprinted for each dramatis persona...

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Yes you are right, the errors in the book (for bounty hunters at least) doesn't matter since nobody will ever use them because they are too expensive and weak (completely useless RAW). Nice work GW!

reough

Ganger
Mar 19, 2015
Has anyone checked out the new gunk ammo? It seems that bolt pistols are dropped to D1, and bolters stay at D2. Either it's another mistake, or one or the other is wrong... I can see it going any way really, has anyone seen any other frame of reference apart from the back of the book?

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Has anyone checked out the new gunk ammo? It seems that bolt pistols are dropped to D1, and bolters stay at D2
In The Book of Peril armoury (page 89), it's the other way around. The boltgun gets reduced to D1 and no AP, while the Bolt pistol stays D2 with AP-1. There are also two separate profiles for the boltgun (I assume one of them is supposed to be the combi version)
The heavy bolter also stays D2 with AP-2.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
For Gunk Ammo in Bolt weapons:
  • D1 (gun) vs D2 (pistol, heavy)
  • AP - (gun) vs AP -1 (pistol) vs AP -2 (heavy)
  • Limited (gun) vs not Limited (pistol, heavy)
  • no Rapid Fire (gun) vs Rapid Fire (2) (heavy)
  • Long Range Accuracy -1 (gun) vs no Long Range accuracy (pistol)
  • AM 5+ (gun) vs AM 6+ (pistol, heavy)
Heavy Bolter:
Seems like the Heavy Bolter is most similar to it's original profile.
  • Gains the Gunk trait.
  • Reduces the short and long range accuracy with 1.
Boltgun:
  • Gains Gunk and Limited traits.
  • Reduces the short and long range accuracy with 1.
  • Reduces the AP, D and AM with 1.
  • Loses Rapid Fire (1).
Bolt Pistol:
  • Gains the Gunk trait.
  • Reduces the short range accuracy with 1 (no change to long range!?!).
Edit: Hey, I can make table! The table shows how each characteristics are MODIFIED, not the actual value.
BoltShort Range AccuracyLong Range AccuracyAPDamageAmmoTraitsOther
Pistol-1----Gunk-
Gun-1-1-1-1-1Gunk, LimitedLoses Rapid Fire (1)
Heavy-1-1---Gunk-

Based on this, it seems like Gunk Ammo (for Bolt weapons so far) universally will have the following effect:
  • Always gives the Gunk trait.
  • Always reduces the short range accuracy by 1.
Some effects are uncertain. They may be supposed to be universal, they may be an error, or (in worst case) apply to some weapons but not all:
  • Reduces the long range accuracy by 1.
  • Reduces AP by 1.
  • Reduces Damage by 1.
  • Reduces Ammo by 1.
  • Gives the Limited trait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thorgor and spafe