N18 Perpetual 'League' Rules for the Seattle Area

John Compton

Juve
Honored Tribesman
May 21, 2018
Seattle, WA, USA
Hey all,

Our local game group has run two Dominion campaigns so far and has grown to 30+ players. It's getting a bit unwieldy and we've learned some lessons when it comes to our player preferences and gang growth. As our local arbitrator I put together a new ongoing format that draws from the NCE rules, Turf War, and Dominion for a ruleset that feels more like classic Necromunda/Mordheim, but founded on the current ruleset. Thought you all might enjoy a look.

Seattle Area League Rules: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuFd-VhquFwzz10mW9RYSjNXlKYy

Ultimately it's about keeping growth to an appropriate level, where income *just* outpaces your losses, and focuses the game on fighter growth rather than piling up tons of easy credits.

ThunderLips

May 10, 2019
Very cool! The original Necromunda was and is my favourite game ever. I just got the new rules and I was a bit let down that there wasn't an open ended campaign. I'll show these rules to my little group.
Thank you!

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Looks like a solid enough perpetual rule set based on a quick read through.

Good work with reworking the territories to make them more even with a bit of flavour. Looks like you borrowed from the NCE rule set for a few of those, though it would be great to see some more variety.

Refuse Drift should probably 2d6 x 5 or 10 credits instead of just 2d6 as it makes badly rounded credit quantities which don't exist elsewhere in N17. I understand tat you may want to just make some territories bad. The NCE territory it was based on (Chem Pit) used to give a bonus for rolling a double as well as a negative. IMO It would be better to just change it to Wastes that give 0 or 5 credits but allow you to give it to the opposition if you lose a territory.

Slag Furnace also looks like an under performer in that it is worse than every other territory except the Refuse Drift with no upside. I get that it is the equivalent of the NCE Slag territory but it would be nice to have it do something or be worth d6x5 for a bit of variety and allow it to out perform other territories that earn D6x10 on more than a roll of a 1.

NCE often had the issue that if you rolled bad starting territories then you couldn't really do anything to fix it. If you changed the above two territories I think that it would even out the territory table a bit better and reduce the number of gangs that start with a dud set of territories that don't produce income.

John Compton

Juve
Honored Tribesman
May 21, 2018
Seattle, WA, USA
Looks like a solid enough perpetual rule set based on a quick read through.

Good work with reworking the territories to make them more even with a bit of flavour. Looks like you borrowed from the NCE rule set for a few of those, though it would be great to see some more variety.

Refuse Drift should probably 2d6 x 5 or 10 credits instead of just 2d6 as it makes badly rounded credit quantities which don't exist elsewhere in N17. I understand tat you may want to just make some territories bad. The NCE territory it was based on (Chem Pit) used to give a bonus for rolling a double as well as a negative. IMO It would be better to just change it to Wastes that give 0 or 5 credits but allow you to give it to the opposition if you lose a territory.

Slag Furnace also looks like an under performer in that it is worse than every other territory except the Refuse Drift with no upside. I get that it is the equivalent of the NCE Slag territory but it would be nice to have it do something or be worth d6x5 for a bit of variety and allow it to out perform other territories that earn D6x10 on more than a roll of a 1.
Thanks for the feedback! I love the wastes concept you proposed here and I definitely going to apply that one.

Reactions: Shaughnn

John Compton

Juve
Honored Tribesman
May 21, 2018
Seattle, WA, USA
It’s actually what the current N17 rule for the wastes is. I think NCE also has something similar in the Outlanders territory chart.
Took those suggestions and gave a little bump to the Old Ruins at the same time. Went with Wastes as you suggested, and improved the refuse drift with greater risk/reward calculus.

I actually wanted to make sure all the territories on this chart were in the dominion rules, as they would be in the Yaktribe Underhive tools system and could easily be tracked and recorded, even if the rules themselves are changed.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuFd-VhquFwzz10mW9RYSjNXlKYy

Dertrend

Juve
Jan 27, 2014
New Westminster BC
The Space Needle background is a nice touch (y)

Im a member of a big group just over your northern border in Vancouver. We have generally stuck with dominion with all the bells and whistles but I can see why you would want to cut out sub-plots and limit territory effects to have less extreme games. Do you still allow players to choose their own tactics cards?

It could be fun to do a cross border arbitrator scenario away game sometime :)

John Compton

Juve
Honored Tribesman
May 21, 2018
Seattle, WA, USA
The Space Needle background is a nice touch (y)

Im a member of a big group just over your northern border in Vancouver. We have generally stuck with dominion with all the bells and whistles but I can see why you would want to cut out sub-plots and limit territory effects to have less extreme games. Do you still allow players to choose their own tactics cards?

It could be fun to do a cross border arbitrator scenario away game sometime :)
Haha, I bet we could totally make that work! Maybe split the difference and run something in Bellingham.

Still let people choose cards, but everyone is making a deck of 20 so even random draws are pretty good.

Reactions: Shaughnn

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
When it comes to cards, I much prefer the "draw x + 3, keep x" replacement for custom selection. I'm more in favour of keeping Sub-Plots as optional, not excluding it or making it mandatory.

I made a similar attempt at everlasting campaign and including some of the best parts of earlier versions (underdog bonus, income tax). Also with custom territories:

Refuse Drift should probably 2d6 x 5 or 10 credits instead of just 2d6 as it makes badly rounded credit quantities which don't exist elsewhere in N17.
I can agree any multiples of d6 credits give badly rounded quantities, unfortunately N18 does not maintain a consistency in this matter. Check out the reward for loot caskets: d6 credits!

Last edited: