PETA wants to ban warhammer furs on models

The Duke

of the Grim-Dark and The Lord of Lawful-Evil
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 23, 2015
London
I would have liked to have posted this in the "Briefing Room" but for some reason I don't have the ability to post a thread up there (most odd indeed....) can someone with the POWAH! move this for me please? (and maybe investigate / inform me why I cannae post!?)

-

So a friend posted this up on FB today:

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/bo...oup-peta-calls-for-warhammer-fur-clothing-ban

I think PETA might be missing the point that the year 40'000 is a "grim-dark" dystopian future dark-age full of superstition, barabrism etc... and (I think) is supposed to be fun and "fantastical"

Its a f**king cautionary tale for Darwin's sake!

What do you all reckon about it?, I haven't done a very thorough bit of checking, but could this be yet more post-fact fake news from the interwebs...?

- edit:

Nope, its official:

http://www.peta.org.uk/media/news-releases/peta-asks-games-workshop-ban-fur-warhammer-characters/

Last edited:
giphy-1.gif

There are no wolves on Fenris. So the pelts are bits of mutated people. Ewwwww...

PETA totally have a point. Fur wearing's one thing for medievally-derived fantasy barbarians, but for future soldiers it isn't necessary. However, if you pick apart any bit of the 40K universe OHHHHH BOYYY will you be pulling threads for ages... OK, so GeeDub's largely dropped the Nazi paraphenalia-wearing Orks, short people jokes, most of the suicide bombers... but get a load of the institutionalised misogyny and xenophobic hatred, constant violence, sporadic ableism, unending war, toxic masculinity up the wazoo, killing for religious reasons, lack of representation (starting to be addressed)... Seriously, take it all as a dark parody and it's a fun place to hang out, but the 40K universe at face value is soooo problematic.

P.S. Has anyone modelled a Trump rug on a Glottkin and painted it orange yet?

Last edited:
I kind of see the point in that, while it's obvious no animals were hurt in making a plastic Space Wolf model, there's a way in which they promote the image that real men kill animals and wear their skins.

It's not something I'd get worked up about, because it's clearly fictional and, whatever logic applies in-universe doesn't apply to buying a mink coat in our world. But PETA know this. They don't expect GW to change anything, but they're always doing things for publicity. I've seen this posted in several wargaming groups already, so I guess it's worked.

I kind of see the point in that, while it's obvious no animals were hurt in making a plastic Space Wolf model, there's a way in which they promote the image that real men kill animals and wear their skins.

It's not something I'd get worked up about, because it's clearly fictional and, whatever logic applies in-universe doesn't apply to buying a mink coat in our world. But PETA know this. They don't expect GW to change anything, but they're always doing things for publicity. I've seen this posted in several wargaming groups already, so I guess it's worked.

Agreed, this was my second thought, I guess it's okay if it starts debate & raises profile etc.... GW certainly won't be changing anything!

PETA have never really been known for a sensible rational and measured approach to their goals. I wonder if they are concerned about people having human skins on display or the head of an animal like but sentient creature? The GW worlds are certainly full of this sort of thing.

My poor Ratskins.

They need better writers for these.

it has no more place in 2017 than it would in the year 40,000

Needs to be swapped around. This implies having no place in 2017 is the conclusion, which we draw from the already-established fact that it's inappropriate in M41. Pretty sure this isn't what they meant, but thought the sentence structure would be a good way to say 'neither is ok'.

wearing the skins of dead animals doesn’t take any skill.

Much funnier because of the implication that articles of clothing should take skill to wear. The next Primarch from Forge World will be wearing only a hula hoop and an extremely tall, top-heavy hat.

In the same way that any organised religion has a top level group that counts the coffers and collection boxes of the believers, PETA is an organisation that feeds upon people's genuine love and affection toward animal kind.
I'm not saying that the people at the top don't care about animals, just as priesthoods will believe in their deities, it's just that they have a vested interest in main stream society viewing them to be the good guys and being on the side of right, to justify their existence as a corporate body!
I think gw probibly will respond to this, only because it will suit their own company image (I.e. We are the friendly, all inclusive, animal friendly games company of perpetual war and intolerance), but it will only be a token gesture.
I think fur wearing is synonymous with the medieval, grim dark imagery that sums up the brand and with enough scope in the background of the 40th millennium, gw can make up any gobbledygook to justify where the fur was sourced!
I mean, if the fur came from squigs, wookies or the beards of a thousand slain enemies, does their moral high ground still apply?
I personally feel ok about people wearing fur (I can elaborate if this upsets anyone). But what I loath entirely is any cruelty to actual animals and I think the leaders of PETA should put their resources to better use.

..........and I totally sculpted a fur cloak on one of my competition entries :whistle:

A CHAOS Daemon from space wargame Warhammer 40,000 has shamefacedly yielded to PETA’s request to remove fur from its armour.

The immortal fiend, who entered our galaxy from the hell-realm of the Warp to murder and lay waste to the living, has issued a full apology following pressure from the animal rights group.

It continued: “Somehow, as I was ravening across the cosmos eviscerating and mutilating any sentient being I could, I lost sight of what was important.

“I’m a role model to children, and topping my eight bladed torture-instrument limbs which support the mountain of my putrescent, acid-weeping flesh with fur shoulder-pads is unacceptable.

“I can’t apologise enough for the hurt I’ve caused, and I’ve agreed to appear in PETA’s next ad campaign under the slogan ‘I’d rather be Lawful Good than wear fur.’”

A PETA spokesman said: “Living in the grim darkness of a far future where there is only war is no excuse for making poor moral choices.”

Forget all those books - this is how the Horus heresy started.....
PETA sent letters through the warp, claiming that both sides wanted to ban fur, in the hope that the ensuing chaos would engulf all involved - and leave PETA's agenda as the only viable option!
So the emperor locked himself away to try and create a synthetic alternative while Horus (in all his lunar wolf, cloak laden glory) went on the warpath!
It wasn't until they met face to face on Horus' battle barge that they both realised they had been played....at which point it was too late!......
PETAs plan almost worked.......but while a single space wolf still draws breath......their ill gotten gains will be for nought!

Publicity perhaps.

But good publicity? No way.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for PETA's cause, but this kind of demand just makes me stop listening to them. I don't think I've ever seen the phrase pick your battles be more appropriate.

In this case the boy has literally cried wolf!

Publicity perhaps.

But good publicity? No way.

I saw a comment on FB that pretty much summed it up by saying something along the lines of 'their aim is to raise publicity and they assume all publicity is good publicity'.

Maybe that strategy's wrong, but I don't think it's a case of picking the wrong battles here. I don't think the intention behind this letter was to stop GW sculpting fur on plastic Space Wolves. It was to raise publicity around the wearing of fur.

Of course this move may not go down so well with wargamers, since we're likely to get a bit defensive about our hobby, but it generates awareness through things like the Daily Mash parody. Consequently, I've seen other people talk about it on FB, which means they're thinking (on some level) about the ethics of wearing fur.

If the real concern was about wargaming, they would be better off targeting sable brushes.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous
A CHAOS Daemon from space wargame Warhammer 40,000 has shamefacedly yielded to PETA’s request to remove fur from its armour.

The immortal fiend, who entered our galaxy from the hell-realm of the Warp to murder and lay waste to the living, has issued a full apology following pressure from the animal rights group.

It continued: “Somehow, as I was ravening across the cosmos eviscerating and mutilating any sentient being I could, I lost sight of what was important.

“I’m a role model to children, and topping my eight bladed torture-instrument limbs which support the mountain of my putrescent, acid-weeping flesh with fur shoulder-pads is unacceptable.

“I can’t apologise enough for the hurt I’ve caused, and I’ve agreed to appear in PETA’s next ad campaign under the slogan ‘I’d rather be Lawful Good than wear fur.’”

A PETA spokesman said: “Living in the grim darkness of a far future where there is only war is no excuse for making poor moral choices.”

Love this!!!!

Reactions: CaptainDangerous
I wish. I don't even write as well as @CaptainDangerous. I just thought it was so cool it needed to stand alone for a moment, but it came from Daily Mash. I also like Matthew Ward's response:
https://mobile.twitter.com/thetowerofstars/status/826052983565799424
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
.....wait a minute....
......:cautious:......
I don't even write as well as CaptainDangerous
.........:eek:
What the hell is that supposed to mean!?!....

It's a good job we are best bronies nooker! :D:D:p