N18 Pitch Black vs. blast weapons

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
When the Pitch Black rule is in effect, targets outside of 3" can only be selected if they have the Revealed condition.
The Revealed condition is only ever applied to fighters.
Blast weapons target points on the tabletop or a model, and do not target fighters.

Is it correct to read this combination of rules as heavily nerfing all blast weapons under the Pitch Black effect? They would only ever be able to target points within 3" of the firing model, since it is impossible for any point on the table to become Revealed. I feel like a lot of blast weapons are on the OP side, so I don't mind nerfs to them, although this feels like something that most gamers would house rule (even if they did it unconsciously).

Interestingly, template weapons do not seem to be affected, since they don't target anything, and are simply placed when fired.

And, somewhat unrelated, it's kind of weird that grenades don't have the Silent rule. Sure, they go boom wherever they land, but the person throwing them generally wouldn't be generating and noise or light.

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
When the Pitch Black rule is in effect, targets outside of 3" can only be selected if they have the Revealed condition.
The Revealed condition is only ever applied to fighters.
Blast weapons target points on the tabletop or a model, and do not target fighters...
You mention it yourself: grenades and blast weapons can always target a model directly (at which point normal target priority and cover modifiers apply), so if you can see a revealed enemy you can shoot him/her with a blast weapon as any other gun.

Anyway, even if we were to ignore the above mentioned point, if the shooter has Photo-goggles he/she can see up to 12'' away instead of the normal 3'', so they could pick a point on the ground within 12'' and possibly hit enemies with the blast even if they are not revealed or within 12'' of the shooter themselves.

Furthermore the Book of perils adds to the trading post Phosfor rounds for Autoguns, Shotguns and Combat shotguns in addition to Flare grenades (handeheld and for launchers I think), which are specifically made to reveal enemies hit and illuminate the area of the 'flare blast' (admittedly the shooter with flare rounds needs to see in the dark or target a revealed target, unless they are using the Combat shotgun Flare template ammo).

A cute combo would be having a fighter with Combat shotgun, Phosfor rounds and a Gunshroud on the gun to fire Revealing templates at will without revealing him/herself to the enemy:)

Reactions: spafe

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I haven't got my book to check, but I thought the pitch black rules also say that you're unable to shoot a target with the hidden condition.

That is to say the rules weren't written with blasts in mind, and so don't actually address the point.

Petitioner's City

Gang Champion
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
In my campaign we're trying an automatic scatter rule for shooting into pitch dark and smoke conditions - the template automatically scatters, with the player using the highest of two d6 rolls. Hopefully will make it less reliable but still fluffy use of blast in the dark.