Plasticard size for Necromunda

JBoneDS

Ganger
Feb 25, 2013
Derby, UK
twitch.tv
Hi guys!

I'm looking at building some new Necromunda terrain pieces once I'm finished modelling my gang and thought plasticard would be the way to go. Quick question though... What thickness is correct for fitting into Necromunda bulkheads and where is the best place to buy for delivery to the UK?

I'm looking to buy quite a bit as my original terrain is in fair condition but I wouldn't mind retiring it before it disintegrates and making some stuff up that's even more detailed and more modular.

Mar 12, 2011
I've been buying mine locally. Find anywhere that sells model trains or RC hobby parts and you will find card.

To give a tip, the other name is polystyrene. Any plastics company should be able to help you, providing they know what you're talking about. Styrene sheets are sometimes also used by prop builds in vacuum forming. We're talking huge sheets here, but that might give you another way to track some down.

I did an experiment in recreating some of the card terrain with styrene, and it worked out pretty well. Not only is it easier to find than the original card terrain, you can cut out sections and add a huge amount of detail just by copying the card terrain designs.

Hope that helps.

djspurlz

Ganger
Nov 18, 2012
Cape Coral, Florida , USA
Here in the USA - I contacted a wholesale plastics supply company - from California.

I bought a bunch of 2 feet x 2 feet plastic card poly sheets ( black for mine ) ( I think 10-15 total ) for about $ 40.00 usa dollars. I cant rem. the exact thickness - but you could get pretty much any thickness you needed - they just made the stuff at their plant.

That was many years ago - maybe 2005 or so...

Last edited by a moderator:

JBoneDS

Ganger
Feb 25, 2013
Derby, UK
twitch.tv
Thanks for all the info guys... I've been on and ordered 10 A3 sheets of black styrene now so that will give me a good place to start.

Another quick question... How well does it hold paint? I'm assuming I will need to undercoat it as you would a miniature? Does it need any special treatment such as a coat of watered down PVA before painting?

simon

Gang Hero
Aug 23, 2012
Winchester
Nice. I might need some of this in the next year. My original card stuff is starting to really show it's age.