Playtester Central

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
@Al_Weeks well, no progress on getting you an early alpha it seems. But if you'd like to take the suggestions document and trial the more popular/contentious ideas you're certainly welcome to, I personally think it would be good to have some idea of what works and what doesn't.

We're just hearing up for the proposal stage now so reticence on extra writing work is understandable, I know its not the answer we hoped for but perhaps it will be enough for you and your team.

Al_Weeks

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
@Al_Weeks well, no progress on getting you an early alpha it seems. But if you'd like to take the suggestions document and trial the more popular/contentious ideas you're certainly welcome to, I personally think it would be good to have some idea of what works and what doesn't.

We're just hearing up for the proposal stage now so reticence on extra writing work is understandable, I know its not the answer we hoped for but perhaps it will be enough for you and your team.

I wasn't expecting to have an alpha ruleset for a good while.

I'm about to launch a new campaign with my local group so I will ask them to trial out some ideas in games at their own discretion

Al_Weeks

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
I would ask that if anyone else decides to trial anything from the suggestions document, that they share any feedback here.

• Love
Reactions: Orngog

Al_Weeks

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
I'll see if we can get such a document knocked up for you guys.

Right I've figured out the confusion now.

When I talked about an Alpha ruleset, this is what I was expecting to come out of the next phase (which will take some time). This would be internally playtested document, shared amongst the team members (and trialled with our various groups).

This will then be modified based on feedback (possibly through a number of cycle) to produce a Beta ruleset, which will go out to wider, beta testing.

Apologies, my previous post was about the direction we should take in producing an alpha ruleset (conservative or not) and then following the process, not a request to.have something 'quick and dirty' right now.

That doesn't mean individuals can't take suggestions from the suggestions doc and playtest as they see fit.

Summary

Suggestions doc (done)

Alpha Rules (in progress, I don't expect these for sometime,there is a lot of work to be done).

Alpha ('internal') playtest.

Update Rules and continue playtest (*a number of cycles*)

Beta ruleset

Beta ('public') playtest.

Update Rules and continue playtest (*maybe just 1 or 2 cycles*)

YCE rules V1.0

Hope that helps clarify what I was talking about in the context of the whole project.

Obviously the above roadmap is just an idea, but with all this confusion, I think we should produce one that we all agree on.

Then make it shareable (perhaps have a pinned 'project management docs' thread?

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
That is an excellent idea, we are getting a little spread out now. I'll get on it, like a tam o' shanter (plus points if you get the reference).

On the subject of when to test, I was responding to the question by @TopsyKretts- I believe the earlier we get this underway, the better.

As it is, we should be looking at the first section of Alpha being fixed (if not finalised) in a week or two- of course, you guys will be the first to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al_Weeks

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Hi folks!

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, work has slowed down massively on the alpha document due to changes in how the workload is being handled. That said, we are very close to being finished with general principles so it would be great if we could get you guys to test that section on the new year.

As such, @Al_Weeks will soon be getting you all together to go through the new ruleset and perhaps give you all some guidance as to the method for getting through this. Whether that will be testing individual rules, playing with the new general principles as a whole or something else entirely I don't know, but I'm sure you're in capable hands and I really look forward to this next exciting phase of the project!

Al_Weeks

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
@thanejaw @Icedman @JawRippa @Defectivevoid @TopsyKretts I trust you all are still willing to pitch in here?
Once I have the full general principles document we can launch our discussion here.

We should probably (with the lack of ability to play games in many countries) look at prioritising those changes that actually need to be play tested (rather than changes which are for clarity for example).

• Love
Reactions: Orngog

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Right then folks!

We should have the general principles ironed out by Tuesday at the latest, I would expect the document to be with you by the end of the week.

I'm going to put out another call for playtesters, watch this space for movement...

Edit: this comment did not age well.

Last edited:
  • Love

Commissariat

Ganger
Mar 9, 2017
Maine
For playtesting purposes, on the topic of Tabletop Simulator, we have a couple resources available to us for communication and coordination and that is the Yaktribe Discord as well as my own server dedicated to playing Necromunda on Tabletop Simulator. We have a bunch of players who frequently play online, and a couple folks dedicated to scanning the Necromunda models into the Steam Workshop, so that could be a pool of players to tap into for playtesting if a call to action goes out!

KA7777

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
For playtesting purposes, on the topic of Tabletop Simulator, we have a couple resources available to us for communication and coordination and that is the Yaktribe Discord as well as my own server dedicated to playing Necromunda on Tabletop Simulator. We have a bunch of players who frequently play online, and a couple folks dedicated to scanning the Necromunda models into the Steam Workshop, so that could be a pool of players to tap into for playtesting if a call to action goes out!
Oooh, do you have a link to your TTS Discord?

I tried to get into TTS Necromunda earlier in quarantine, but the only group I found was using a lot of haphazard homebrew. I'm sort of interested in getting involved with the model scanning, too (I can't do the Blender parts, but I think I can get set up for the "take hundreds of pictures of a model" part, and I happen to have a lot of converted, not-out-of-the-box versions of the new models that could help expand the WYSIWYG options available to players).

Commissariat

Ganger
Mar 9, 2017
Maine
Oooh, do you have a link to your TTS Discord?

I tried to get into TTS Necromunda earlier in quarantine, but the only group I found was using a lot of haphazard homebrew. I'm sort of interested in getting involved with the model scanning, too (I can't do the Blender parts, but I think I can get set up for the "take hundreds of pictures of a model" part, and I happen to have a lot of converted, not-out-of-the-box versions of the new models that could help expand the WYSIWYG options available to players).

Yeah, I've got it hidden away in my signature, here it is! https://discord.gg/QNT9UKN Our current campaign has been going on for about a week and a half and has some house rules to get rid or tone down some over the top tactics cards and territories, clarify or establish rulings, and some other house rules to try and discourage munchkin-ing. Kind of hard not to house rule contemporary munda, aha - I guess that is why we're here!

KA7777

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Awesome, thanks. I poked around and noticed that the Arbitrator of the campaign I briefly joined is also in your group. :LOL:

But I also looked at some of the house rules in there, and they all seem great, very similar to the ones I use in my IRL campaigns. No crazy redesigns of the fundamentals (for example, the rule that cause me to nope out of the other group was that they thought you were supposed to declare both your actions simultaneously, as opposed to announcing + resolving one, then announcing + resolving the other)