N18 [Poll] Which system do you use/prefer now?

Which Edition?

• Total voters

Commissariat

Ganger
Mar 9, 2017
Maine
Hey everybody!

The previous thread doesn't hold relevant data anymore due to the release of N18 a while back. Now that you all have had a while to try out the updated edition, where do you fall on this poll?

Feel free to comment on your choice as well, votes are public since this isn't anything to be secretive about!

Regards

(17 and 18 are separated out of curiosity on my part. I think of them as one game that was updated, but others may prefer the previous iteration.)

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

KA7777

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Necromunda: Underhive 18 (with house rules and clarifications to fill out the gaps in the rulebook and slightly improve balance).

Say what you will about the shitshow mess in the N17/N18 books, the rules are faaaaaaar better for fun, balanced and varied games than the classic rules ever were.

Reactions: Vonvilkee

Caledore

Ganger
Jun 2, 2015
Maryland, USA
N18. It has its issues but the good definitely outweighs the bad. The gangs have so much more flavor and personality than in the original rules...I always hated how the old gangs were so similar, with only skill tables really setting them apart. Now they actually feel very different.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I could quite happily play the original til the day I die!
I’d only just sort of got my head around the community edition when the new necro dropped, and after a few games of N18 here and there, I can say with conviction that it’s just not the game for me. With respect to those who do really like it, it just doesn’t feel the same.
Even when getting beaten in the old rules, it was exciting, it felt as tho everything was on the line for your gang! A territory loss was a step closer to ruin and a juve with a knife could stab his way to a better life!

Maybe it is just me, but I enjoy the path of perpetual torment!
Something that I just don’t get from parading a troop of, suited and booted, chemed up paramilitaries.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
for what this old grognard’s opinion is worth, i prefer ORB. but that is also because it’s the only version i’ve ever played. i seriously can’t remember the year of the last game i played....

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've not voted, because I haven't played Necromunda in years. If someone suddenly wanted to play with me, and asked me which version, I'd go with NCE but to fair that's because I already know that and haven't tried N17/18.

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I prefer the rules from the newest edition but still think the original campaign produced more satisfying results. One thing I also appreciate about the new editions is the way the writers have tried to bridge the gap between Confrontation and the original game.

Reactions: Paupoi

Darnok

Juve
Jul 17, 2019
Berlin
Having only ever played the N18 version, I have no opinion on the older rulesets*. I am pretty happy with the game in its current form though, and would not change a lot.

* ... I got into the hobby when Gorkamorka was released, so technically I was around when Oldcromunda was big in town. At that time I had no interest in it though - by now I am happy for a few old White Dwarfs with classic battle reports and scenarios, just for fun.

reough

Ganger
Mar 19, 2015
I prefer N18 over the classic game for the alternate activations, plus it's nice to support all the new models and attention the game is getting. I'm not a huge fan of the power creep towards special weapons and weird heavies - but you can curtail that by playing with sensible people and keeping campaigns snappy.

Reactions: Paupoi and Ml2sjw

Glyn

Heckin Provost
Nov 27, 2017
London, UK
Alternate, individaual activations is the best thing to happen to GW skirmish games in recent memory.
The campaign system is lack luster, but only because they have streamlined it. And the decision to move Overwatch from an action to a skill was great (though honestly, I would have just deleted it).

Reactions: Paupoi

Fold

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
NCE. My opinion is shaped almost entirely by the various comments and reviews on this site, plus a singular game of N17 when it first came out that instantly failed to impress (mostly due to the morale rules). Bottom line though is what @CaptainDangerous said, I like my Necromunda down and dirty, so no amount of superior rules will ever overcome the background creep of the new editions for me.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
NCE. As mentioned above by a few people, it has a far better, gritty and desperate feel to it. Something N18 lacks with its instantly advanced fighters (better stats, powerful weaponry and armour plating) being available at gang creation - I think those should be what your best fighters evolve into, not what's available off the peg.

Gangers inexplicably being background mooks and and a dire campaign system doesn't help.

The game is fun enough, but I can't escape the feeling that it's just Necromunda Lite.

It's been a while since I played N18 and I find I don't miss it.

KA7777

Gang Champion
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Some of what you guys say you like is actually far more prevalent in Newcromunda; it's a much bloodthirstier game than ever before.

Stuff like multiple spec/heavy weapon activations, geared combat champions going 12" to stomp someone, weapons with massive damage values and armour modifiers, etc.

Old Necromunda was two gangs overwatching each other until a heavy stubber took someone out. ;)

May as well clarify that your objection is 100% aesthetic! I like the capable-looking new gangers. Back in the day I played Van Saar, and it was basically my tech-soldiers versus a bunch of regular guys off the street (like, the literal street outside my irl house).

Reactions: Caledore

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Old Necromunda was two gangs overwatching each other until a heavy stubber took someone out. ;)

If we're generalising then New Necromunda is two tooled up 40k kill teams setting up on a table then the person with the best playing card winning ;)

The problems with N18 can be solved - extra rules about tactics cards, replacing the campaign system, and a heavy-duty FAQ are all within the realms of possibility. So much effort.

Last edited:

Darnok

Juve
Jul 17, 2019
Berlin
I haven't played older editions of Necromunda, so have no basis for comparisons. Could people who like the NCE describe in a bit more detail what they mean with "grittier"?

To me the current ruleset feels excellent for what it is supposed to achieve: a dynamic skrimish between two groups of individuals. It does that really well in my opinion. Tactic cards need house rules, and I can see where the complaints concerning the Dominion campaign system come from. It does not feel very involved to me, and the Trading Post has much too easy access to things that should be very hard to come by. On the other hand, that is easy enough to change with house rules too, and does not feel like "so much effort" - definitely less than tinkering with basic game rules.

Glyn

Heckin Provost
Nov 27, 2017
London, UK
I would use the word "Granular" in place of "Gritty".

By which I mean: There were more systems, especially post game. Lots of thingss that effected your income such as feeding your gang. A much deeper trading post. A more interesting Injury system (Hand injury in N17/18 was split up into several hand injuries, such as missing fingers).

I miss some of these systems, and have ported a few into my own house campaign packs. But I don't miss the incredible ammount of admin that the old system had. Less is more sometimes, ya know?