N18 Potentially a New Player with a Couple of Questions

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
Hiya,

So with the latest boxset now available for preorder, it's boosted my temptation to get into this system. I have been so so very close to picking up the Underhive box previously. I have a few questions before I take any sort of plunge though. In addition to answering any of the questions, I'd also really appreciate you to give me your thoughts on the system. What you like, what you don't like.

1. Will campaigns work with just 2 players?

2. How does the system self balance to prevent hard snowballing?

3. The cards seem unavailable other than in the core sets. Are these a requirement? Are the online pdf ones enough to play? Are there alternatives out there?

4. Forgeworld do weapon sets for some of the factions, is it recommended to pick these up before building a starting crew, or are the weapons more for down the line to upgrade characters after a game or two?

5. What do the Book of Peril and Book of Judgement add? (I believe Judgement just adds rules for Enforcers?

6. What exactly is the book of ruin coming out? Is it separate to the contents of the new boxset?

Of course, I apologise for any questions that you feel are easily answered with a quick google. I promise that I have tried and I've either not understood the info or completely missed it. Thanks for taking your time to read through these and hopefully you're able to help me out!

Reactions: Stubram

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
1. The one in the new box is stated as if it works on just two players. Otherwise Necromunda is a game which you should feel free to customise so that you and your gaming group are all satisfied. Here's an example of a campaign from old necromunda with just two players: https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/the-warlords.5975/

2. It doesn't. The game isn't really meant to be balanced. So if you want to balance it you either have to house rule it or make sure that the players focus on fair play, fluff and narrative.

3. Cards contribute extra topping, but only works in a way that doesn't break the game if you do a bit of house ruling (like sharing the same deck and only draw cards randomly). Tactic cards tends to go out of stock and still hasn't had reprint.

4. It depends on what you want to do and which gang you want to play, but generally I would advice at least buy one of them.

5. They add extra flavour and rules. Book of judgement also has rules for enforcers in campaigns and imo the best campaign format so far (not having seen the upcoming one about to be released this week).

6. It should add things not included in the box book. What these differences is I have no sure idea. We'll probably start seeing this as soon as someone's got a hand on their pre order.

The cards seem unavailable other than in the core sets. Are these a requirement? Are the online pdf ones enough to play? Are there alternatives out there?
You can find printable PDF in the Vault
Forgeworld do weapon sets for some of the factions, is it recommended to pick these up before building a starting crew, or are the weapons more for down the line to upgrade characters after a game or two?
The opposite. Do some matches with proxy miniatures so you can understand your favourite weapons/playstyle, then mount and buy weapons

There are no stupid questions, but only stupid answers :). This community is very happy to help new players entering this great game. Personally I think is gorgeous, I'm running a campaign with other 5 players and we're having tons of fun.

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
1. The one in the new box is stated as if it works on just two players. Otherwise Necromunda is a game which you should feel free to customise so that you and your gaming group are all satisfied. Here's an example of a campaign from old necromunda with just two players: https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/the-warlords.5975/

2. It doesn't. The game isn't really meant to be balanced. So if you want to balance it you either have to house rule it or make sure that the players focus on fair play, fluff and narrative.

3. Cards contribute extra topping, but only works in a way that doesn't break the game if you do a bit of house ruling (like sharing the same deck and only draw cards randomly). Tactic cards tends to go out of stock and still hasn't had reprint.

4. It depends on what you want to do and which gang you want to play, but generally I would advice at least buy one of them.

5. They add extra flavour and rules. Book of judgement also has rules for enforcers in campaigns and imo the best campaign format so far (not having seen the upcoming one about to be released this week).

6. It should add things not included in the box book. What these differences is I have no sure idea. We'll probably start seeing this as soon as someone's got a hand on their pre order.
Thanks for your rapid response! Sadly I don't think anyone in my gaming group is particularly interested in picking up a new system (we play a LOT of different systems) but I know I can convince one or two to join me. Thanks for the link too, will give that a good read. I always enjoy a written batrep/ campaign rep!

You can find printable PDF in the Vault

The opposite. Do some matches with proxy miniatures so you can understand your favourite weapons/playstyle, then mount and buy weapons

There are no stupid questions, but only stupid answers :). This community is very happy to help new players entering this great game. Personally I think is gorgeous, I'm running a campaign with other 5 players and we're having tons of fun.
Glad to hear the community is welcoming! I'll defo give everything some good thought before hard gluing. The Vault looks to be a great resource. I'm also just reading through the Community Edition of Necromunda. Looks like a lot of work has gone into it!

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Congrats on pulling the trigger!

I guess you're committed, now, but I still want to answer your questions to give you a slightly different perspective on what's already been mentioned.

Hiya,

So with the latest boxset now available for preorder, it's boosted my temptation to get into this system. I have been so so very close to picking up the Underhive box previously. I have a few questions before I take any sort of plunge though. In addition to answering any of the questions, I'd also really appreciate you to give me your thoughts on the system. What you like, what you don't like.

1. Will campaigns work with just 2 players?

2. How does the system self balance to prevent hard snowballing?

3. The cards seem unavailable other than in the core sets. Are these a requirement? Are the online pdf ones enough to play? Are there alternatives out there?

4. Forgeworld do weapon sets for some of the factions, is it recommended to pick these up before building a starting crew, or are the weapons more for down the line to upgrade characters after a game or two?

5. What do the Book of Peril and Book of Judgement add? (I believe Judgement just adds rules for Enforcers?

6. What exactly is the book of ruin coming out? Is it separate to the contents of the new boxset?

Of course, I apologise for any questions that you feel are easily answered with a quick google. I promise that I have tried and I've either not understood the info or completely missed it. Thanks for taking your time to read through these and hopefully you're able to help me out!
1. It will work, but you'll lose a lot of the elements that make a campaign worth playing. With only two players the temptation to tailor your gang to your single opponent will be overwhelming, and your gangs might end up becoming mirrors of each other. Also, if one player snowballs in power level there won't be anywhere for the other player to hide, which could suddenly stop the campaign from being fun.

2. There are a lot of missions that limit the number of models per side, or have win conditions beyond total destruction, and these are good for evening the playing field between gangs of differing strength levels. The problem is that standard mission table still favours a scenario that lets both players use their whole gang in a pitched battle. It's worth compiling a list of ALL the available scenarios and figuring out a way to randomize among them evenly.

3. Several of the PDF cards compare in strength level to the best of the purchaseable cards, so you can get by with those. You can also access a fan-made compilation of all the extant cards, like someone mentioned above.

4. Depends on how much you want to invest. You can also convert your own loadouts using weapons from the 40K ranges, or even just proxy loadouts. I wouldn't order any FW until you're sure what kind of loadouts you enjoy using.

5. The most important thing in them (IMO) is additional items for purchase in the Trading Post/Black Market. Judgement has more & better stuff than Peril, in this regard.

Reactions: bchatzis

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
Congrats on pulling the trigger!

I guess you're committed, now, but I still want to answer your questions to give you a slightly different perspective on what's already been mentioned.

1. It will work, but you'll lose a lot of the elements that make a campaign worth playing. With only two players the temptation to tailor your gang to your single opponent will be overwhelming, and your gangs might end up becoming mirrors of each other. Also, if one player snowballs in power level there won't be anywhere for the other player to hide, which could suddenly stop the campaign from being fun.

2. There are a lot of missions that limit the number of models per side, or have win conditions beyond total destruction, and these are good for evening the playing field between gangs of differing strength levels. The problem is that standard mission table still favours a scenario that lets both players use their whole gang in a pitched battle. It's worth compiling a list of ALL the available scenarios and figuring out a way to randomize among them evenly.

3. Several of the PDF cards compare in strength level to the best of the purchaseable cards, so you can get by with those. You can also access a fan-made compilation of all the extant cards, like someone mentioned above.

4. Depends on how much you want to invest. You can also convert your own loadouts using weapons from the 40K ranges, or even just proxy loadouts. I wouldn't order any FW until you're sure what kind of loadouts you enjoy using.

5. The most important thing in them (IMO) is additional items for purchase in the Trading Post/Black Market. Judgement has more & better stuff than Peril, in this regard.
Thank you for your respnse. Despite having pulled the trigger, I'm definitely keen for people to still weigh in. Hopefully I will convince a couple of others to join in. I know one of them has said a couple of times he likes the Cawdor models. Will just have to play on that a bit more ;)

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
The game is meant to be balanced! It had good balance in older editions (income tax, underdog XP, giant killer bonus). Problem is new authors didn't care or wasn't able to balance it, so they just capped campaigns at 7 weeks, hoping it wouldn't spiral too bad out of control in such a short time. I got all 204 tactics cards updated with YAQ rulings in a very printable document. Print, scissor and sleeve with magic cards. Much much better than official GW sizes. And no, you don't need cards, but they can add flavor. Document also includes all 387 cards of many different types.

For 2 players, I suggest you bring 2 or more gangs each and mix up for variation.

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
One thing I did for a 3-person campaign I arbitrated was add several "NPC" gangs.

Each player had their personal gang, and then there were 3 additional gangs that belonged to no one and could be controlled by whoever wanted to play the badguy on a given night.

Each of them started with control of 3x territories. They weren't able to issue their own challenges, but players were allowed to challenge them whenever they wanted to attempt to secure one of those territories (however, each NPC started at 1500 credits to our 1000 credits, so it took some time -- or guts -- to go after them).

They were extra scary because whoever was piloting them could stubbornly go HAM, without the fear of compromising the gang's longterm future in a losing effort.

Reactions: JawRippa

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
The game is meant to be balanced! It had good balance in older editions (income tax, underdog XP, giant killer bonus). Problem is new authors didn't care or wasn't able to balance it, so they just capped campaigns at 7 weeks, hoping it wouldn't spiral too bad out of control in such a short time. I got all 204 tactics cards updated with YAQ rulings in a very printable document. Print, scissor and sleeve with magic cards. Much much better than official GW sizes. And no, you don't need cards, but they can add flavor. Document also includes all 387 cards of many different types.

For 2 players, I suggest you bring 2 or more gangs each and mix up for variation.
Will checkout the tactics cards in the files. Might be a bit expensive to print off almost 400 cards though :p

Two gangs each could be a good idea. Would you need to houserule anything or just treat each gang as a different person?

One thing I did for a 3-person campaign I arbitrated was add several "NPC" gangs.

Each player had their personal gang, and then there were 3 additional gangs that belonged to no one and could be controlled by whoever wanted to play the badguy on a given night.

Each of them started with control of 3x territories. They weren't able to issue their own challenges, but players were allowed to challenge them whenever they wanted to attempt to secure one of those territories (however, each NPC started at 1500 credits to our 1000 credits, so it took some time -- or guts -- to go after them).

They were extra scary because whoever was piloting them could stubbornly go HAM, without the fear of compromising the gang's longterm future in a losing effort.

That sounds really cool tbh. I definitely see the scary side of it. When did you guys first challenge the npc gangs?

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
That sounds really cool tbh. I definitely see the scary side of it. When did you guys first challenge the npc gangs?
lol, we all demonstrated varying levels of trepidation.

I don't think my gang challenged an NPC until my rating was around ~1700. However, our Delaque player went after an NPC (who had randomly drawn one of the nicer Delaque-advantaged territories) quite early, when he was still rated several hundred points lower than the territory-holder.

Some of it depends on which gangs are involved. For example, it's really hard to make a scary Cawdor gang "out of the box" (ie. using their house list, prior to them getting Trading Post access after a campaign begins). So our Cawdor NPC wasn't particularly threatening after our personal gangs started to develop. On the other hand, our Orlock NPC was a BAMF, and the Van Saar NPC was so intimidating I don't think anyone actually got around to challenging them.

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
lol, we all demonstrated varying levels of trepidation.

I don't think my gang challenged an NPC until my rating was around ~1700. However, our Delaque player went after an NPC (who had randomly drawn one of the nicer Delaque-advantaged territories) quite early, when he was still rated several hundred points lower than the territory-holder.

Some of it depends on which gangs are involved. For example, it's really hard to make a scary Cawdor gang "out of the box" (ie. using their house list, prior to them getting Trading Post access after a campaign begins). So our Cawdor NPC wasn't particularly threatening after our personal gangs started to develop. On the other hand, our Orlock NPC was a BAMF, and the Van Saar NPC was so intimidating I don't think anyone actually got around to challenging them.
That sounds really cool tbh. I'll have to chat with my group and see if I can convince others before sorting out these NPC gangs :)

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Yeah, make sure you have some player commitment before doing anything above and beyond.

It sounds like you'll be the most invested in the game among your group, at least at the beginning, so you're probably on the hook for arbitrator duties (and providing extra NPC gangs can be a pretty expensive house rule to enact!).

One of the things I love about this version of Necromunda is that even one-off games develop a great sense of narrative. The granularity of the rules and model-by-model activation generates some really cool in-game storylines. Like, the expensive heavy weapon dude who misses every shot and then falls off a building, the generic ganger who suddenly snipes an enemy leader, the greedy juve who tries to open a cache and triggers an explosion, the pet that saves its master in melee combat, etc. You can have a lot of fun even if you're playing outside of a campaign.

bchatzis

Nov 12, 2019
Yeah, make sure you have some player commitment before doing anything above and beyond.

It sounds like you'll be the most invested in the game among your group, at least at the beginning, so you're probably on the hook for arbitrator duties (and providing extra NPC gangs can be a pretty expensive house rule to enact!).

One of the things I love about this version of Necromunda is that even one-off games develop a great sense of narrative. The granularity of the rules and model-by-model activation generates some really cool in-game storylines. Like, the expensive heavy weapon dude who misses every shot and then falls off a building, the generic ganger who suddenly snipes an enemy leader, the greedy juve who tries to open a cache and triggers an explosion, the pet that saves its master in melee combat, etc. You can have a lot of fun even if you're playing outside of a campaign.
I'll definitely be the most invested. The other chap who is 100% going to get involved has described himself as my 'enabler' so that I wouldn't feel guilty buying the new starter. I'm tempted to pick up the old starter too as it seems a good deal to get a couple of gangs that I love the look of, and some extra bits of terrain, templates, dice etc.

I'll have to send out a few messages letting people know that we're going in on it and anyone is welcome to join. Hopefully we can get 4 people and I'll leave NPC gangs for now.

It's just tough being super excited about something and not having people around with that same enthusiasm. Oh well!

Reactions: Stubram