Pre-Confrontation World War 2 Game?

Hansuke

Ganger
May 18, 2015
Houston, Texas
While re-reading the Confrontation background in White Dwarf 130, page 10, I noticed the following lines:

"Then about a year ago Bryan Ansell suggested that we revamp a game he had designed some time ago - originally to simulate World War 2 and contemporary combat but later extended into a futuristic setting. The idea was appealing as Bryan's game already had a detailed model-based combat system and rules for progressing characters. Taking this system and adapting it into the WH 40,OOO environment would give us a new game which would combine elements of role playing and skirmish wargaming."

My question is, What World War 2 and/or contemporary combat game is this section referring to?

Does anyone have any idea?

It may be one of these.

I have always figured that Laserburn was the primary source of data going into Confrontation, because it reads similar. I am thinking now that the so-called World War 2 rule set may not have been published since I cannot find mention of it on the net. Thanks for looking. Sometimes I get on a track and its hard to get off of it until I can find the prize.

Reactions: MusingWarboss
I always thought it was Laserburn.

He has currently published two free rulesets which somewhat remind me of Confrontation, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they come from the same lineage.

Those would be Street Violence and The Rules with no Name. Which is a Gang Skirmish and Wild West ruleset respectively.

Not sure I’ve ever heard about a WW2 version before. I believe Bryan can be contacted via his Foundry website and is often actually around at the Bring Out Your Lead (BOYL) wargaming event.

So you might be able to ask him direct if you wanted.

I guessing current GW don’t have the rights for many aspects of the 1st and 2nd edition 40k rules, otherwise lots of peeps would have cease and desists, so it makes sense.

While re-reading the Confrontation background in White Dwarf 130, page 10, I noticed the following lines:

"Then about a year ago Bryan Ansell suggested that we revamp a game he had designed some time ago - originally to simulate World War 2 and contemporary combat but later extended into a futuristic setting. The idea was appealing as Bryan's game already had a detailed model-based combat system and rules for progressing characters. Taking this system and adapting it into the WH 40,OOO environment would give us a new game which would combine elements of role playing and skirmish wargaming."

My question is, What World War 2 and/or contemporary combat game is this section referring to?

Does anyone have any idea?

I played a game back in the mid 80's called Recon? It was based on Vietnam, but the rules could be adapted to any combat.

Did a quick google and I didn't find references to Bryan Ansell, but coincidentally it did have a quote mentioning "contemporary" and White Dwarf...

Robert Neville reviewed The Revised RECON for White Dwarf #83 (1986), and stated that "Unluckily, some people may well realise that the sections on military hardware and equipment are probably the best in any contemporary roleplaying game. Luckily, I hope people have more sense than to touch this with a bargepole. Unluckily, I'm not so sure they have."[22]

Based on stuff I’ve heard recently on The Painting Phase podcast, I’m pretty sure that game they’re referring to is Laserburn.

I finally located my copy of RECON, but no indication that Bryan Ansell was involved. I read through it, because I haven't seen it in a long time. I don't have the advanced RECON though. I'm glad you mentioned this though. I haven't thought about that game is a very long time.

I also get the feeling that Confrontation was a repackage of Laserburn ideas. Maybe they wanted to update Laserburn and make it more conducive to using 28mm figures instead of 15mm. Laserburn came out around 1980 and Traveller was going strong and there were 15mm Traveller figures. At the time I don't think Striker had came out yet, Laserburn filled a need for combat in a sci-fi environment for 15mm. It was fun and gritty.

Maybe the WD entry was referring to Laserburn in a general way so as not to specifically mention Laserburn.

Maybe the WD entry was referring to Laserburn in a general way so as not to specifically mention Laserburn.
Seeing as GW didn’t own the rights to Laserburn they probably didn’t want to mention it by name as it was a competing product?

While Confrontation may have benefited from Laserburn rules, I still think the Confrontation Gang Creation rules are really fun and give each gang some personality.

Reactions: SAWAL2
While Confrontation may have benefited from Laserburn rules, I still think the Confrontation Gang Creation rules are really fun and give each gang some personality.
That’s the trick I think they missed in 1995 Necromunda. While I understand the desire to put set Houses in there to sell a range of miniatures - I do think an “Advanced” section where you could create your own Gang without having to follow one of the six preset paths would’ve been nice.

Heck, they could’ve made it part of the Outlanders expansion.

I very much agree. I have never been one to bend to convention. And with all the plastic multipart miniatures that GW sells, it's now much easier to convert minis to your own tastes. GW could add another "house" book to the mix if they wanted nowadays. Maybe "House of the Strange" or "Network of Mutts".

I finally located my copy of RECON, but no indication that Bryan Ansell was involved. I read through it, because I haven't seen it in a long time. I don't have the advanced RECON though. I'm glad you mentioned this though. I haven't thought about that game is a very long time.

I also get the feeling that Confrontation was a repackage of Laserburn ideas. Maybe they wanted to update Laserburn and make it more conducive to using 28mm figures instead of 15mm. Laserburn came out around 1980 and Traveller was going strong and there were 15mm Traveller figures. At the time I don't think Striker had came out yet, Laserburn filled a need for combat in a sci-fi environment for 15mm. It was fun and gritty.

No worries regarding Recon - Yes, it was a great game; Think the rule book we used had a brown/tan cover; Wish I still had it!

I very much agree. I have never been one to bend to convention. And with all the plastic multipart miniatures that GW sells, it's now much easier to convert minis to your own tastes. GW could add another "house" book to the mix if they wanted nowadays. Maybe "House of the Strange" or "Network of Mutts".
That was one of the really odd bits, when they promoted all these other hives on the surface of Necromunda and then basically said “but they all have the same Houses in”. I know I paraphrase heavily there but that was the gist of it. Such a huge facepalm moment.

That was their golden opportunity to make each Hive unique, even to the point that you could have inter-hive wars etc. which I’m sure would’ve been another three book series.

But no, they blew that. Closest we have are these weird side houses that can be allied to our main gangs.

Why not take House Griem or whatever and say, “yeah they’re the third biggest House from Hive Secundus and are practically a military training academy”?? That’s another Gang box and book right there!

🤷🏻‍♂️