N18 Pre Measure

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
N17 hanged on to the old way of no pre-measure. It has been explicitly denying pre-measure in every Rulebook since then.

Reactions: Thorgor

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Officially it has no pre-measure BUT it came on a Zone Mortalis board sections with squares marked on them.

Mechanicus is 5” high. And so on. It’s pretty easy to guess on those tables.

Merton

Juve
Feb 6, 2018
NJ
It’s a neat little rule that I’ve always felt well-represents the uncertainty of the combatants and the overall setting.
...that is, until you play against someone who works in construction. Being a carpenter in real life should add like 200 points to their gang rating - those guys are insane with eyeballing measurements.

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
It’s a neat little rule that I’ve always felt well-represents the uncertainty of the combatants and the overall setting.
...that is, until you play against someone who works in construction. Being a carpenter in real life should add like 200 points to their gang rating - those guys are insane with eyeballing measurements.
So true! I've been playing games since the mid nineties so I'm experienced enough to have really good eyeball measurements without having known size markings on the board. To reduce difficulty of entry I've started to to allow pre measuring especially for charges.

There is no reason to disallow pre measure and have random charge lengths. Pick a mechanic sillies! I'm fine with my opponents being able to avoid the gotchas I could engineer by being 24.25 inches away when they aim then try to shoot. Wasn't fun.

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
I too can eyeball distances very accurately. Generally, plus or minus 3 or 4 inches out to about 9 or 12 inches, give or take. And, within half a foot beyond that out to a couple of feet, or so. Now, when it comes to actually measuring, I'm never off by more than 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Maybe a bit more after a few beers.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

JawRippa

Gang Champion
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Actually I keep having a silly incident. Enemy fighter could be just outside of Long range of a short ranged weapon (krumper,sawn-off, etc) while being out of cover. Meanwhile there is other target who clearly is in range, but in cover.

I want to shoot target in cover, since shooting someone outside of a Long range will be a 100% miss, however I would be wrong skipping Cool Checks in case target out of cover actually happens to be in range...

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Actually I keep having a silly incident. Enemy fighter could be just outside of Long range of a short ranged weapon (krumper,sawn-off, etc) while being out of cover. Meanwhile there is other target who clearly is in range, but in cover.

I want to shoot target in cover, since shooting someone outside of a Long range will be a 100% miss, however I would be wrong skipping Cool Checks in case target out of cover actually happens to be in range...
You wouldn't need a cool check since the fighter in cover is closer, therefore is the one you *should* be targeting anyway.
You need to take a cool check to shoot someone who isn't closest, but can skip this if they're easier to hit, such as in this case.