Drag to reposition cover

ORB Project Log: Pit Slave Gang; Bile's Halloween; and Brotherhood Miners

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Just a little thread to [slowly] document the build-up of a pit slave gang from parts to "finished" [as far as a 'Munda gang can ever be actually finished].

Considerations: A deliberate effort to make use of some older models and bitz boxing, rather than acquiring new parts. Kitbashing a gang from spares.

As much as any gang, Pit Slaves do need to be built to match load-out, however [though lots of mechanical bits can be overlooked until later, core weaponry needs to match]. Intended load-out then is as follows:

Chief: claw and hammer and hand weapon of some sort [pistol, say].
Techno: flamer as special weapon, possibly hand flamer to match ["welding dremel"].
Fighters: a more-or-less even mix of claws and hammers.

Hammers are incredibly useful just being in a combat, and claws are lovely in giving the throw in addition to any actual hits, whether for getting a free pin-and-minor-hit on someone nearby, or pitching the extra tough victims off the platform for falling damage.

Here's a look at the core parts:

Chaos Champion 021912 from the Realms of Chaos set.
2cb5dbf4e166628565c36672e33952fe.jpg

A few of the not-so-old servitors:
dscn1227.jpg

A few of the really-rather-old servitors:
servitor%2Bgroup%2Bsmall.jpg

Including this guy with the wrench:
Orange%2BStar%2BLine%2BServitors%2B1.jpg

And of course the techno from the Necromunda Pit Slave gang:
Citadel-Warhammer-40K-Oop-Necromunda-Pit-Slave-Techno.jpg

So those are the "opening gambit" parts.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
So looking at the original, the model being used for the Pit Slave gang chief is not, you might notice, equipped with claw and hammer. At all. The very first effort, then, requires some moderate conversion. The parts used are distinctly Epic - that is to say the claw which replaces the [shaved down] arm of Master comes from an Epic-scale ork vehicle, and the pile-driver piston that replaces Blaster's left arm comes from an Epic scale Imperial Titan.

Initially the positioning of the piston arm pointed upward, to better show off the ornate 'eagle head' hammer, but while re-positioning for a permanent join I decided I liked better the look when it was positioned downward, better showing off the machinery of the "elbow."

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
looking good! i like the idea of bits box bashing especially. i looked in your gallery and agree with the pointing down look. i imagine it’ll be easier to pack them up this way too

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Should be so.

I'm discovering that a lot of the "bionics" stuff in my bits box is very much ork rather than human [which should do fine overall], though I DO have one old, old space marine in particular, who might suit despite the powered armour suit. It's "Captain Dozier" here:

wd099p49rt101smsx-02.jpg

Thanks to scale creep, he's not all that big [current space marines are far larger, regardless 'primaris' or otherwise], and aside from the legs, the armour is surprisingly minimal [one shoulder pad, mostly], so he may be work-able. And that 'power fist' arm is really very much a bionic claw arm. Changing out the space marine backpack could go a long way to changing his visual profile enough to make him fit well, and gives another opportunity to use an older model....

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Minor update in the gallery, with a full suite of "parts and asembly" shots for the various starting members of the gang.

Bitz box had plenty of options for claw armed slaves, but had to start to cobble together the hammer arms for slaves. Parts found for slug pistol and flamer conversions. Found Captain Dozier, but holding off (a) due to gang numbers [likely to not add in a fourth claw slave before a fourth hammer slave], and (b) due to not wanting to actually convert him [so waiting for addition of a slave with claw and chainsword].

https://yaktribe.games/community/media/albums/project-log-pit-slave-gang.1552/

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Not a lot of modeling work on this crew over the past couple of weeks - toy soldiers time has been a bit sparse with the advent of Craft Show Season, and what time I have had has been spent focused on some Kharadron models, so shiny and chrome. But I have started to settle on some names and characters for the various gang members, and the gang itself. Posting it here, in part as an aid to memory for later.

Miners’ and Labourers’ Union of Treacle Mine Seven

An uprising overthrew the guilders' overseers and survivors escaped down-hive and Sump-ward. Rallying around the most intelligent and charismatic of their number, the sentient among them guided the escaped slaves in their journey across the edges of the Underhive, seeking the Ash Wastes and "truth, justice, and freedom." Whether any of those things exist to be found is yet to be seen.

Walker
Chief: Claw, Hammer, Stub Gun

Dealgood
Techno: Flamer, Hand Flamer

Outcrier
Crow
Collector

Slaves: Claw, Stub Gun

Clunk
Jedediah
Meat

Slaves: Hammer, Stub Gun

Now, that is only 850 credits so far, which makes another couple of slaves quite likely.

Last edited:

Draconic

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
Not a lot of modeling work on this crew over the past couple of weeks - toy soldiers time has been a bit sparse with the advent of Craft Show Season, and what time I have had has been spent focused on some Kharadron models, so shiny and chrome. But I have started to settle on some names and characters for the various gang members, and the gang itself. Posting it here, in part as an aid to memory for later.

Miners’ and Labourers’ Union of Treacle Mine Seven

An uprising overthrew the guilders' overseers and survivors escaped down-hive and Sump-ward. Rallying around the most intelligent and charismatic of their number, the sentient among them guided the escaped slaves in their journey across the edges of the Underhive, seeking the Ash Wastes and "truth, justice, and freedom." Whether any of those things exist to be found is yet to be seen.

Walker
Chief: Claw, Hammer, Stub Gun

Dealgood
Techno: Flamer, Hand Flamer

Outcrier
Crow
Collector

Slaves: Claw, Stub Gun

Clunk
Jedediah
Meat

Slaves: Hammer, Stub Gun

Now, that is only 850 credits so far, which makes another couple of slaves quite likely.
I get those name references and i dig it! :D What rules are you playing them in? Im using an Avatar of Dr Dealgood in my campaign as a game show host type hunger games/running man campaign.

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And starting to splash on some base colours. Using a yellow-orange for the jumpsuits, which will be suitably grungy with dirt and oil, to tie the colours into the "Genestealer Cult Mining Suits" standard that has seemingly become the official look for miners on Necromunda, with N17. Metallics will be a mix of oiled steel and old copper [hoping to have the bionics look well kept and in good repair, with the clothes and even skin far less so]. The skin tones are a wide range [like humans, I suppose] but all of them with a bit of grey mixed in.

Assembly lining, some very preliminary colours.

It is interesting to look at how dynamism in sculpting has changed over the years - partly due to fashion, and partly due to mold capabilities. The oldest models here are basically simply standing upright "between sessions" as it were, the next ones are striding forward in preparation of coming action. These days, multi-part plastic kits trend toward showing characters in the midst of close combat.

The feel here then tends more toward "implacable advance" than "headlong rush into combat."

A terrible image with a terrible flash, but it shows one of the "piston wrecking hammers" finally completely built, at about 11:30 around the image, another of my old servitors making it into the gang at around 12:10 around the image, a simple flamer conversion under way at 3:00 around the image, and what will likely eventually be a hired gun Wyrd, at around 1:15 around the image.

The Techno will end up with a bit more gear belted and hanging, thanks to a few spare gewgaws from the Kharadron kits [drills, wrenches].

For basing, I am thinking a rust-red ash drift [with bits of salvage here and there], to easily accommodate pulling them into Ash Wastes/Gorkamorka as well, inspired a bit by the Tor Megiddo stuff I get to see on this here internet:
http://convertorum.blogspot.com/2017/10/tor-megiddo.html

A darker rust colour should be able to work with the yellow-orange-and-steel colours, hopefully. We'll see.

Edit: And for others looking to read the [ORB] Pit Slaves rules, they are here on the vault at
https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/pit-slaves.783/

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A brief Seasonal Detour!

Joys of the season to you! That is to say, here in North America, it is just about Hallowe'en, so here's a brief glance through a Kill Team / Shadow War: Armageddon team of Chaos Marines suitable for the season. The theme? Fabius Bile's "New Men" as envisaged through Universal Movie Monsters. It was/is an outgrowth of a Fabius Bile themed Lost and Damned army, back in the day, featuring lots of beastmen and gibbering hordes of little modified animals, of a Doctor Moreau's Army. This unit, however, brought a bit of colour(s) to the horde.

I bring you... Kill Team For SCIENCE!!

Bile himself.

Dracula.

Frankie's monster.

Wolf man.

Zombie.

Fish man from the Black Lagoon.

Rampage robot.

Mad scientisMWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Headless Invisible Horse(less)man.

Are you my Mummy?

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Maybe I didn't look close enough, no buzz saw? (Watch parts might work....)
Nope. No buzz saw. Built as a pit slave gang under the original rulebook and original pit slave gang rules, and running hammers and claws both thematically - a rebellion of mining servitors - and games-mechanically - hammers and claws have specific and useful effects. Hammers reduce any/all opponents' weapon skill, and claws get to throw an opponent in addition to striking hits from a combat they win. So pitching gangers off platforms to a fall, or else pitching gangers into other gangers for the pin, to follow up with another charge.
Saw these fellas on Fb! Awesome, i love minis like this that have their own individual flair
And almost none of them are real 'conversions' either, mostly just a choice of backpack here and there. The fish-man-from-the-black-lagoon was the only one with any real "conversion" involved. Just a matter of collecting specific and characterful sculpts on a theme.

Reactions: Draconic

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Nope. No buzz saw. Built as a pit slave gang under the original rulebook and original pit slave gang rules, and running hammers and claws both thematically - a rebellion of mining servitors - and games-mechanically - hammers and claws have specific and useful effects. Hammers reduce any/all opponents' weapon skill, and claws get to throw an opponent in addition to striking hits from a combat they win. So pitching gangers off platforms to a fall, or else pitching gangers into other gangers for the pin, to follow up with another charge.
The Outlanders supplement has quite an array of parts, I, not playing at the time, collected one of each weapon arm. There are some local guys and I that are starting a campaign, I am starting with Cawdor, pit slaves as we expand our knowledge of how to play could be a possibility.

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And the pit slaves gang available weapons list has [the same] lots of weapon arms likewise:

Each of the arms does something special in close combat - chainsword parries, hammer lowers opponent's weapon skill [both useful to win a round of combat], drill allowed you to make one really BIG hit if your ganger regularly wins combat by a lot, claw allows you to throw anyone you beat in close combat, and so on.

Drills would also be thematically appropriate for this gang, I think, but it's not particularly useful until the ganger is already a close combat monster.

Plus, I have the bits to model interesting piston-hammers and claws, and want to use them [ha!]. Likely will need to model up a drill-arm pit slave, mind, for my Kharadron Brotherhood Miners gang to hire as a pit slave hired gun. They are partial to the drill.

*Edit: Yes, the comment about the drill and saw being for already-close-combat-monster pit slaves leads to the awkward question of "can a pit slave change out a weapon later in the campaign?" And the answer is a solid "I dunno." The gang's techno means that implanting new bionics is a definite possibility, under the rules, but replacing a weapon arm is not explicitly included, whether through purchase or through capture. On the other hand, the pit slave hired gun comes with a number of advances, rolled before the weapon arm "kit" is chosen, so the drill arm can easily be viable there from the get-go.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Working on allowing these pit slaves to double-duty into a guilder gang as well (up to four of them, at any rate). Looking to see what sort of sculpts would suit a guilder (beyond the GORGEOUS one that was developed through discussion here on yaktribe - must get one of those yet), and noticed two from my collection:

The female witch hunter inquisitor with flamer has a suitably wealthy and untouched by combat look, though is heavily armoured (remove/replace the Inquisition symbol on the chest, switch the greaves to gaiters and trousers, and gauntlets to gloves, etc.):
Witch_Hunter_Inquisitor.gif

And the Vostroyan Captain, pointing with his cane has a “nouveau riche” possibility in the furs and coat and cane. (Paint the fur appropriate colours for NM - something gaudy - and replace either power sword at hip or cane in hand with flamer):

mspopen_image.php?file=2432a.jpg

In both cases remove purity seals, aquila/Inq symbols, increasing fabric content over metallic armour content, etc.
Not yet decided. Thoughts?

[Edit: Images of someone else's painted copies, thanks to google, rather than my own unpainted copies of each.]
[Edit again: for the second, a very little work could turn that skull-and-crossbones on his hat into the guilder skull-and-portcullis-and-ring guilders' badge of office.]

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I think I know the 2 you're talking about (no pics, just the placeholder
"IMG" shows up). I'd think the Vostroyan would be best, just with a head swap. those furry hats are a bit much for the underhive.