ORB Punktaku's Parade Of Peoples (old minis)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So, as the second half of "punktaku" comes from "otaku", I guess it can be assumed I like stuff associated with Japan. Like Samurai. Or in this case, Space Samurai. I picked up a bunch of Warzone's Mishima troops to use in 40k, and had to figure out how to actually use them (but never did). I think I remember the plan, and I know I wrote it down. Somewhere. Maybe its tucked into my copy of the second edition Compendium...

The Warlord (space marine commander)
The Champion (emperor's champion)
Honor Guard (space marines)

Dreadnaught (conversion)
the original right arm had a teeny tiny barrel, so I slipped it off and added a spare heavy weapon

Shadow Walker (librarian)

Ninja (imperial assassin)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The troops. I have 3 squads of samurai (space marines). The green ones (Jade Dragons) were the first group I picked up. I don't remember if the Bushido guys were out yet (I think their sculpts are better), but I'm pretty sure the Jade Dragons were supposed to be the command squad originally.
Named Hero
Squad Leader

Squad Champion

The full squad

Other Samurai squads (tactical marines)

Ashigaru Squads (imperial guard with space marine leaders)

Reactions: Mutant Modifier

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Crimson Devils (space marine scouts)
Crimson Devil leader

Hantaro (Terminators)
Leader
Squad

Tiger Dragons (I thought they were demon slayers, so I was thinking Grey Knights, but I'm thinking now that maybe they're supposed to be assault marines)
Leader
Squad

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Crimson Devils (space marine scouts)
Crimson Devil leader

Hatamoto (Terminators)
Leader
Squad

Tiger Dragons (I thought they were demon slayers, so I was thinking Grey Knights, but I'm thinking now that maybe they're supposed to be assault marines)
Leader
Squad

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Nice! I picked up the old Mishima "bike" model, back in the day. I have still vague intentions of putting either an ork or a Harlequin in as pilot, but it is far down the back-burner of percolating ideas.
tg9641__47566__14899.1349802590.1280.1280.jpg

Whenever I rummage through my old minis [and the ubiquitous "bulky starfish" pose], I am struck by just how far sculpting and production have come. Now almost everything can look like it is a Goodwin or Klocke sculpt.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The second edition sculpts were much better than the original (I have some of both for the Etois Mortant) and the new Prodos line looks better than those. Unfortunately I've only seen them online. And I think they're resin.

The only thing I really dislike about the Mishima above are the ridiculous shoulder pads on the samurai troops. those things are massive.

Reactions: Aulenback

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
すごい!

I also like Japanese stuff. Cool models.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Arigato! (no Nipponga keyboard for me. yet.)
I've been really tempted by the Urban Mammoth Triads and the Infinity Yu King as well, but alas.,,

Edit: alas because I'm too broke, and they're Chinese not Japanese. I don't think anyone makes Yakuza models (but I'd use them that way)

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i debated on whether or not to include these guys at all as some could find them offensive, but they are bad guys and i thought they came out pretty well. anyway, i’m pretty sure most of the offensive imagery avoided the camera lense.

So long ago, i was selling off games i never played. a lot of the “extra” minis i kept for potential conversions (like a few of the gangs on here, obviously based on imperial guard or mordheim humans) and i almost sold these guys with Gorkamorka. but then i noticed their suspenders and got an idea.

Da Boneheadz (an Ork supremicist gang) they all have red suspenders and steel-shod boots.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
More Boneheadz. These are the shooters with the ranged weapons. i guess most would be autoguns or bolters.

while there are two heavies with hvy stubber, there are no other special or heavy weapons in the gang. i guess i could’ve tried to make some from scratch...

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I do not-see the problem...
Jokes aside, that's pretty clean paint and a decent set of boyz.

Sobek

Gang Champion
Jul 22, 2018
Germany
Sumpcroc don’t like cults worshipping small, strangely souped-up man-god (be that Gork or Mork) - he is ancient god himself! Worship him, he brings water and fertility! You‘ll want water, believe me. Euro Heatwave II incoming. :cool:

On a more serious note: These are the real-world-references I tend to tip-toe walk around. Not easy to not have them look out of place or offend people and though in 40k lore of future history there will also have been those events (and I doubt I would like to live in what the Imperium of mankind has become - if I had a choice). But in general it’s gould be avoided to include such references too clearly (the Warhammer Fantasy if old was full of real world references) and this one is particularly difficult. Here in Germany you could be sued for showing pictures of something you painted showing hakenkreuze. That said, ever saw a Skaven banner in red and white with black skaven runes? These real world historical cross references can work if they are subtle.

But other than the symbols (which I personally would avoid for various reasons) the bald heads white shirts red suspenders scheme works fine for da boyz!

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, other than the one on the helmet, the rest are green on black, which is easy enough to cover up. I just don't have any more Oily Gray, so the whole helmet will need a redo or something. I think maybe younger me kinda understood it wasn't the best idea and considered the need for a future cover up. Its not like Orks can claim cultural ties to the symbol (like some Native American tribes, Hindus, or Samurai), or that I should have used it even if they did... The other stuff is enough.

Sobek

Gang Champion
Jul 22, 2018
Germany
My aversion has to do with me growing up in (western) Germany where such symbolism is against the law and constitution. I know that in other countries this is less problematic.

But yeah, that was why I mentioned this skaven unit I had seen once with black/red/white colour scheme: These are crazy conquer-the-world maniacs, using slaves as meat shields, operating experimental weaponry, rockets, and warpstone / toxic stuff. Orks are to me more like Football Hooligans looking for a fight anytime anywhere.

Maybe you might want to try some small Orkish runes or clan symbols instead? Such markings are really nice details, but in this case they are a tad too much and too real, I think. If you just replaced the swastika/hakenkreuz symbols with orkish symbols the reference to skinhead neo-neo-of the future-nazi-brawlers is still strong enough but probably more, like, tailored to 40k lore?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, true. I think I still have some Ork codexes somewhere. Maybe there's a "power" or "strength" symbol I can paint on in the same green. I doubt I'll ever use them in a game, but then again I'd be less squeamish about taking pics of them.

Sobek

Gang Champion
Jul 22, 2018
Germany
You don‘t have to change anything because I‘m having issues with it, but I think york glyphs would fit better because they‘re from the same universe. Real world references are tough to integrate to not look out of place.