Question about sights

Lord Gizmo

Juve
Dec 10, 2017
earth
Hello, i need the help of the yak!

Playing a rather literal opponent I was reading the rules for telescopic sight. It says something like about if you aim you it applied it's short range bonus. Does this mean they get the +1 for aiming and then the additional bonuses for being in short range. So in theory giving you a +3 with plasma guns for one action. Which is crazy!

Cheets

LG

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
No. When shooting at long range, you use the weapon's short range bonus (assuming it has one). When shooting at short range it doesn't do anything.

I don't have ye olde rules to hand, so I'm not sure what the exact RAW text is.

Ignore me, I misread your post.

Yes. If you aim at long range you get the bonus for aiming + the weapon's short range bonus if there is one.

Last edited:

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Sure, how do you think it should work?
GW3 said:
If a fighter attacks with this weapon after making an Aim action, the weapon's Short Range accuracy modifier is used even of the target is within the weapon's Long Range
Seems pretty clear to me. As long as you aim, the weapon si treated as if it were at short range. And since you aimed, you get the +1 to hit bonus that comes with that action. So, your scoped plasma gun gets +3 to hit after aiming at long range, just like it would get a +3 to hit after aiming at short range with or without the scope.

Note that (barring Overseer shenanigans) a fighter can't Aim, Shoot and Move during the same turn, so it's quite easy to negate this +3 to hit: stay out of line of sight.

Reactions: Aulenback and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Note that (barring Overseer shenanigans) a fighter can't Aim, Shoot and Move during the same turn, so it's quite easy to negate this +3 to hit: stay out of line of sight.

Or try to pin them, as they can't stand up, aim and shoot either (y) I caused no end of annoyance to my opponent doing this on Saturday with lasfire and scatter shot :D

Also remeber that you cannot manufacture a guaranteed hit - a 1 always fails. 2+ is the best to-hit roll you'll ever make. That +3 will be partially wasted quite often.

Last edited:

Lord Gizmo

Juve
Dec 10, 2017
earth
Yeah agreed but hitting on a +2 even though you are in hard cover is annoying especially if the best you can get is a +5/+6.

Thank you for the help guys