N18 Question About Weapons and Equipment Sets

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This version(s) of the game ain't an arms race. Fighters don't advance overmuch. And, don't really degrade all that much, either. And, this ain't 40K and all them other games y'all love, where what you bring is more important than how you play. Again, it's House Ruling to fix what ain't broke.

But it is an arms race - it's an arms race over ambots, armoured bodygloves, bolters, grenade launchers, plasma, suspensors and a limited selection of other more cheesy gear - it feels rare when a campaign doesn't see its best players capitalise on their credits to go for the best gear which they pick, and then everyone else follow suit. Modernmunda is an arms race where credits are cheap, rare items are findable without much effort, and hiring high-class fighters is easy too. Most of the eccentric stuff just isn't played, unfortunately, in general.

I'd say that somethings really are broke, and that a 40K attitude of listbuilding/equipping really does dominate games as much as how you play (or that they go hand in hand).

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Not 'round here, it don't. You could. We don't. It's a game of bottom feeders, living (and dying) in a sewer called the Underhive. The game's built-in limitations on listbuilding/equipping keep it thematic and fun. Assuming reasonable restraint with the Black Market and Genesmithing. Only one of us still plays 40K, and he don't come around so much. Our resident "capitalizes credits," rules exploiter grew tiresome and didn't get invited back after the Year of Gaming Dangerously.

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Not 'round here, it don't. You could. We don't. It's a game of bottom feeders, living (and dying) in a sewer called the Underhive. The game's built-in limitations on listbuilding/equipping keep it thematic and fun. Assuming reasonable restraint with the Black Market and Genesmithing. Only one of us still plays 40K, and he don't come around so much. Our resident "capitalizes credits," rules exploiter grew tiresome and didn't get invited back after the Year of Gaming Dangerously.
But that does require moderation - which many many gaming groups don't do. It's great the game is so open, that you can have leagues of WAAC gangs and you can have poverty chic limitations like you do. That's such a strength of the game, but I wish those mechanics were in-built options in the game.

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
We don't have a "No House Rules" house rule. And, our merry band has pretty much distilled down to folks who are pretty much like-minded. Yes, we have lost a few good men along the way. A significant issue that is internally restrictive is the veritable plethora of rulebooks (and I AIN'T complaining, I'm a survivor of the 17-year drought of official support). But, we got me, who buys everything. We got some who buy nothing (and a subset of them who don't use online books, either; primate book-borrowers). And, we got them that are selective hunters and gatherers. So, some HR's are deemed necessary to level the playing field. Like letting those using the older gang rules use the new House of "X" gang construction rules. But, when not everyone is on the same page (or, even owns the same page), an arms race just wont work for us.