N18 question from a new campaign arbitrator

White_Lotus

Jul 25, 2020
Greetings fellow hive scum!

Me and three of my friends have started to on all of our first necromunda campaign and are really stoked. We bought the Dark Uprising box, Gangs of the Underhive and two gangs (Van Saar and Goliaths). All in all, I feel the campaign is pretty well explained in the book but I just had one question (for now 😅).

What is a good amount of encounters per campaign week per player? Since we are with 4 player I thought we could for example have two battles per player every campaign week with the losers of the first two games facing of against each other and the winners just so. would this be a good idea or would this break the campaign and is it better to stick with 1 battle per player per week?

SoothSayer

Juve
Jul 21, 2018
Lisle, IL, USA
It depends on your group. My buddy and I play 2-3 games a session. But when I play with my niece we generally just do one. And same for my nephew. As the arbiter though, have to make sure they dont fall to far behind. This can be done with having a second gang for those who play more or making sure you give house favors or more lucrative missions to the others. For example, if my buddy and I played twice in a tlweek were about 6 games ahead of the other two. So we setup a caravan heist or spook harvest for them to fight some NPCs and shame loads of credits and they are on par again

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
We play as much as we want, but then we don't have any arbitrator to stop us from playing. We also ditched the official campaigns a long time ago.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I’ve run a few and have found that limiting each gang to making one challenge each campaign week has worked for me.

This usually means that every player makes and receives a challenge each campaign week (so 2 games each campaign week) and that they each get to pick a territory to fight over each campaign week.

It also has the added benefit that if someone doesn’t turn up or if someone is able to play more games that they can accept more than one challenge and fill in the gap of the missing player.

White_Lotus

Jul 25, 2020
I’ve run a few and have found that limiting each gang to making one challenge each campaign week has worked for me.
Ooh, i like that better than my idea. that way the guys have more say in their games and will probably keep gaps between winners and losers smaller. In combination with SoothSayer's advice that will probably lead to an exciting campaign. Thanks for the advice.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
It works for me.

I’d also add that while it is worthwhile considering how you intend order the challenges each round (I usually go lowest gang rating or wealth to highest) don’t get too hung up on it as people will get out of order.

For the first half it will work ok but when you get to the second half of the campaign it becomes easier to start letting people pick their opponents without too much interference. Just let people choose who they will fight over and what territory they fight over by who turns up to play.