N18 Questions about ambush...

rippounet

Ganger
Apr 29, 2016
Paris
I have a few questions about Ambush... But generally speaking I'm interested in any feedback you may have after playing the scenario...

Basic question: the "D3 fighters can be activated" for the attacker before the defender gets an activation... Can they be group activations? RAW would suggest a no, but RAI a yes. How do you play it?
How does the tactics card "group tactics" come in? Since the attacker can choose their cards it could allow for one extra activation, assuming at least 2 was rolled on the original D3...

And speaking of Tactics: cool checks can be a problem so "A good day" (for goliaths) or "Solidarity" (for orlocks) seems to be a must-choose.

GrimDiceRolls

May 5, 2018
Savannah, GA 31401, USA
We play it as fighters activating, so if you do a group activation you are still activating that number of fighters in the group (3 including leader, 2 including champion). Example: If your D3 was a 2, leader wouldn't be able to group activate.

Fireborn

Juve
Sep 9, 2019
Festus
they can only activate that many fighters before the defender activates their first fighter.
OR
they can activate that many more fighters before the defender activates their first fighter.

would have been nice.

but I agree as it stands. I would side with only D3, but its not concise on what it is asking the player to do.

thou if I play the scenario out a dozen times, I would probably just see if my play group wants to change it.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
The problem with it precluding activations, is that can essentially need what the attacker is capable of.
Normally with a leader you can activate 3 fighters at least.

Although if each activation can cause additional groups you have the issue of the attacker activating 7+ fighters before the defender even picks up a tape measure, that's crap, but also kinda the whole point of the scenario.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
given that the fighters can end up only being able to make one action you can get away with allowing group activations, though from experience I can tell you that it should be avoided if possible as it can give the attacker a serious advantage.

This is doubled down if a gang is built around stacking commanding presence and cult icons and can group activate 5 fighters, or if a canny player activates 2 normal activations then follows with a leader group activation.

rippounet

Ganger
Apr 29, 2016
Paris
Although if each activation can cause additional groups you have the issue of the attacker activating 7+ fighters before the defender even picks up a tape measure, that's crap, but also kinda the whole point of the scenario.
Yeah that's what bothers me about RAW vs RAI here.
RAW gives us D3 activations before the defender plays so it ends up not being that great of an advantage for an attacker (in fact it can easily be a nerf since even leaders and champions can be denied group activations). In which case there are other scenarios where the attacker could get better advantages.
RAI would be D3 activations including group activations, but then that would be a huge advantage. I tend to lean toward RAI because in previous versions Ambush gave the attacker a huge advantage AND it makes no sense to me for the scenario to nerf the attacker.

Neither really satisfies me though, and the fact that this would have to be discussed beforehand makes me want to avoid the scenario altogether.