Quick and Dirty Xenos Rules for Necromunda

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
Played my first Necromunda game in years the other day. Not one of the 3 players were using a single "real" Necromunda figure. I fielded a gang of "Squat" Orlocks. My buddy had his "Las-Rats", again Orlocks, but mutants cobbled together out of various Skaven bits and at the last minute we added a third player, who plopped down a hastily written up Goliath gang....made up of his 40K Orks..... We tweaked the Gunfight scenario a bit and had a good and proper Good, Bad and Ugly duel complete with Ennio Morricone playing the the background. The last man standing was one of the Orks, armed only with two big brutal cleavers! Stupid us, we brought guns to a KNIFE fight.......
Anyhow, it got me to thinking that while it is fun to use "alien" figs in Necromunda just for a bit of extra flavor and as an opportunity to tell a unique back story, it is a little bland when they are "just" human when all is said and done as far as the rules go. Might it be possible to incorporate Xenos, with a minimum of rules changes? Necromunda is already a very detailed and diverse rules set and setting, maybe just add one more little twist to make those "Counts-As-Goliath" Orks justa bit more Orky?
This is my first draft attempt to do so. It's still a rough, not play-tested in anyway and nothing is set in stone at this point. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Goobahfish

Ganger
Jan 22, 2015
Hmmm...

There are two basic problems with 'xenos in Necromunda' that if you can circumnavigate then shouldn't be.

First: Fluff. It is kind of difficult for there to be Orks or Eldar in a dome without 'all hell breaking loose'. The fluff would sort of imply a full-scale invasion, inquisition and purge.

Second: Mechanics. Necromunda is balanced around a very specific size of gang, model mortality, equipment variety and income mechanism. Spyrers are about as elite as it gets, so anything which is more 'elite' than Spyrers can't really justify many models and becomes mechanically untenable. Moreover the resourcing mechanisms either require a huge overhaul (i.e. Gorkamorka Teef) or are largely ignored (Spyrer style). For instance, it is often argued in Ork rules that Orks should ignore pinning which basically breaks Necromunda there and then.

Usually, I would recommend making 'mutant'/outlander gang rules instead that emulate some of the desired attributes of the xeno but without full-on rolling into the fluff and special rules associated with that race. I.e. Orks are sort of outlaw goliaths with perhaps a few extra orky rules rather than starting from 40K Orks and adapting them to Necromunda.

If you come up with anything, I would be happy to read.

Reactions: trollmeat

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
equally you could check out I-munda rules in vault, they are quite different I nset ups but have many xenos races and weapons.... could be good starting point or just something else to use as a resource

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/quick-and-dirty-rules-for-xenos-gangs.627/

Oops. Forgot to tag a link to the document.

Thanks for the comments. I do share Goobahfish's concerns about rules balance. The Community edition is a testament to the care and effort the Necromunda community has taken to insure that the game is balanced and fair. It is with some trepidation that I pry the top off that can of millisaurs and start mucking around. I'm just testing the waters at this point to see how much can be gotten away with, like Goobahfish suggested "I.e. Orks are sort of outlaw goliaths with perhaps a few extra orky rules." Just brainstorming on the details of those rules at this point. The NCE is such a well written and carefully balanced rules set, I feel more confident trying to tweak and supplement them a bit, than trying to learn a whole different set of game rules. For example, GONU is fantastic, but still very beta version and 300+ pages if I remember.

And as for fluff. I love the background story and setting of "pure" Necromundaf , don't get me wrong. I'm coming at this project from the point of view of Necromunda as a rules set for skirmishy warfare in the backwaters of the 40K universe, not as a specific campaign setting. Maybe it's a different Hiveworld? Maybe at some time in the 10000 years of Imperial rule, there was a rebel Governor who gave special dispensation to Xenos, who then worked their way down to the Underhive? Or in the aftermath of one of those full scale invasions, portions of the planet fell under Xenos control? I think there is room for a bit of creative interpretation. It's a big Hive after all.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Easiest one for orks to be there is its a hive on amageddon... Kroot are mercs, will crop up any where... elder... well they have portals and like to raid for their own reasons... They are the easy ones to work in... stealers are there, but in such low numvers they haven't got a ful lcult infiltration thing going yet as to call the hive mind... Tau are a bit harder as most hives are important enough to not be frontier worlds where they might send water caste diplomats to negotiate but could try that reasoning...Crons.. I honestly have no idea about their current fluff but I nthe old style, they are sleeping out in the wastes underground and only rarely wake up (so as not to wipe world out).... Who have I missed?

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
Orks are not that hard to implement in Necromunda, though. But I'd advice against too many special rules/equipment until you've tested them with basic stats in a campaign.

The Unknown Warriors ruleset is a good start for creating your own balanced gang. Then if you add a benefit after creating the gang, make sure there is something negative to go with it, to balance the scale.

An easy way to balance is cost of course. Get the costs right, and you'll be halfway to something playable.

One problem I see right away is that Orks are melee beasts. This is not so bad, because usually, they can't hit a barn door at point blank range with a firearm. But they all have really high toughness. Anything with toughness 5 in an early game of necro is pretty much bulletproof. Not much fun for the opponent.

If we take a look at their stats, they are:
orks.jpg

A basic human juve has: 4 2 2 3 3 1 3 1 6 = a total of 25 stat points.

The Ork boy has 4 more total points. The armor save can be ignored, as models don't start with gear in necro.

A ganger has three advances over a normal juve. Which means they kind of have one too many. Yet, the Orks have no juves. That is a disadvantage in itself. You could argue that they use Gretchin as juves, but Gretchin don't grow into full blown Orks when they reach an experience level. That's a problem I'd skip, by just not including them.

As juves who grow into gangers will have one extra advance, I don't see a problem with a juveless gang having four advances on their gangers. Make them cost 60c. (A heavy also has four advances).

Now as to what you'd use for Heavies and Leader..

A necromunda Leader has 32 stat points.. If you continue to add to the statistics above, you'll end up with: 4 4 2 4 4 1 2 2 9

It's not exactly a warboss, but I doubt one would be stranded on his own anyway. I feel the extra strength is a good way to go, as strength makes right for Orks. more than Ld does. As it's now balanced out stat wise, 120c is a good starting cost. :)

As for the heavy, I'd personally just go with the above Ork boy profile, and add 10 credits cost for the extra advance. (The ability to use heavy and special weapons) 70c. Which type of Ork heavy it becomes will be determined by future skills and loadouts. Inventor -> Mekboy, Medic -> Painboy, Give him a rocketlauncher ->Tankbusta, Flamer -> Burna Boy, etc.

They will still have BS of 2 so will take some time before they can hit something without a template. :p

Skills:
Give them Ferocity as their Fundamental skill. Muscle as their Major Core skill. Techno as their Minor Core skill, and Agility as their Periferal skill.

House Equipment (if you use this kind of thing):

Hand to Hand Weapons
Club Free
Pistols
Autopistol 15
Laspistol 15
Stub Gun 10
Bolt Pistol 20
Boltgun 35
Basic Weapons
Autogun 20
Lasgun 25
Shotgun 20
Special Weapons
Flamer 40
Heavy Weapons
Heavy Stubber 120
Missile Launcher 185
Leader Only
Chainsword 25

It would be a really melee focused gang, but since you start with all the melee stats people would want for their cqc beasts, it will hurt a lot when you get there. The inability to roll on Agility table is another drawback, which might be too limiting, but I felt it fits the fluff. It might also be required, as these orks all start with such a high toughness. You don't want them darting over the table, 15 inches at a time.

This was all thought up and put on 'paper' in about 30 minutes, so I may have made some mistakes. I mostly wanted to show how I myself go about it when I create gangs of my own. :)

Makes that 45, since I completely botched some calculations on the first post. Hope I didn't do something equally foolish this second time around. :p

Reactions: Ringlord3 and spafe

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
No mention of Orks in da 'Ive?? Lads, check the vault. Half your work is already done for you. There are rules for various factions that have been hashed out, play tested, and balanced as close as balancing these sorts of things can be already in the vault. I'd throw in links but I'm on lunch at work on my phone. @Gorkamunda and @jimjimjimmyjim are two members you need ask advice from, they've done a LOT of work on the subject.

Reactions: Gorkamunda

Gorkamunda

Adeptus Ineptus
Gorkamorka Warboss
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 11, 2012
Galdhøpiggen, Norway
To be fair, the Orks in da 'Ive ruleset is probably not what you'd consider "quick and easy". Furthermore - they're based on a 2nd ed statline (which I know for a fact many people don't necessarily agree with), as well as leaning more towards the weird and wacky nature of older ork fluff.

That being said, a lot of work has gone into them by members of this community, and - based on the number of downloads it has - the rules have probably seen a fair deal of action.

There's basically three approaches to this, a) the real easy one (Orks counts-as Goliath), b) adding some special rules to them and c) going all in (which is what Orks in da 'Ive is trying to do). Personally, I would go with the first or the last - at least for Orks. But that's probably just because I'm fairly green-skinned :)

Reactions: Jaws

jimjimjimmyjim

Gang Hero
Apr 2, 2013
flemington, Victoria
Regarding fluff as an issue it really shouldn't be, as the NCE rules strip away the fluff, so it shouldn't be considered a burden on anyone any longer.

Rules wise, its always quite simple to create an otherwise balanced method of building a list that isn't over powered

Reactions: spafe

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
No mention of Orks in da 'Ive?? Lads, check the vault. Half your work is already done for you. There are rules for various factions that have been hashed out, play tested, and balanced as close as balancing these sorts of things can be already in the vault. I'd throw in links but I'm on lunch at work on my phone. @Gorkamunda and @jimjimjimmyjim are two members you need ask advice from, they've done a LOT of work on the subject.
Yes, I know of these, and they are great rules for veteran campaigns. But the OP was asking how to create quick and easy rules for xenos in general. Not only Orks. With a minimum of rule changes. And for this; the Unknown warriors is a very good starting point.

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
I agree @Jaws that using The Unknown Warriors is an excellent approach to customizing rules to fit xenos species. The post I had made was a bit rushed and thumbed on a phone's touch screen, so Orks in da 'Ive was more meant to be an example of how big the drawing pool in the Vault really is. @Kon-rad, I think making quick rules for xenos is a great idea; I really enjoy putting various supplements of fan-rules together. It's fun! I had meant more that you should not overlook the amount of material to pull from within the Vault here: there are two different sets of Eldar rules, two different sets of Ratling rules, two different sets of Ork rules (as well as a set @jimjimjimmyjim wrote... couldn't find them though), rules for Ogryns, Tau, Chaos (minions, not Power Armour mind you...), Tyranid Genestealers, Skaven, and even the Imperial Guard/ Astra Militarum. I think that from these you could gain a quick sense of what sort of directions have seemed workable for the other authors and allow you to tread through the process more quickly. I agree that it takes a talented imagination to give a feasible back story to why these species would be present, but it is doable.