N18 Raise the alarm - Now what?

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
We came to the following house rule and quite like it...

Once the alarm is raised any sentry without a ready marker may take an initiative or willpower test to gain a ready marker. Then play as normal.

We wanted to go straight willpower as a test of how ready they were able to stay but standing out there can be so penalizing anyway we wanted everybody to a have a reasonable chance. If you want to put your 2+ initiative champ on sentry duty they might be the first causality...
Was this a conscious departure from RAW that says all sentries become Ready when alarm is raised (without any tests)?

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Low and behold the newer Dark Uprising basic rules return to the original wording. Sentires all get ready markers when the Alarm is raised, and play continues like a normal game. That DU book also says for calculating Bottle, it's "starting crew," not just the fighters who start on the board. The defender's starting crew is Sentires and Reinforcements. The Dark Uprising rulebook is updated, and a bit of a gem.
Did the N17 ruleboook include wording for sentries becoming Ready after alarm is raised? I have forgotten.

Where is the definition of starting crew = sentries & reinforcements? Does it include all reinforcements or only those who entered the battlefield?

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Did the N17 ruleboook include wording for sentries becoming Ready after alarm is raised? I have forgotten.

Where is the definition of starting crew = sentries & reinforcements? Does it include all reinforcements or only those who entered the battlefield?
N17 (underhive RB doesn't say all sentries become ready after alarm is raised). Actually Gobsmacked that it's not in N18 RB as that's how we've been playing it and makes it much more sense to me. Id go so far as to say it's the only thing that made it playable for us. Knowing that if you trigger the alarm the defender gets a full volley off to even the score before normal combat resumes adds to tension and balance.

Personally I would allow a sentry to check if they see either an attacker or a downed (SI or OOA) mate. Makes grouping people tactical and stops stupidity of not raising alarm after watching 3 gangmates collapse one after another. (Also ends sentry stage earlier returning to a more normal game). Though if you can pick em off one by one without noticing fair play.

That actually gives me a fresh idea on how to fix the scenario. In addition to above tweak on raising alarm need to replace the random sentry movement with a set of sentry actions: e.g. Guard, investigate, patrol; might add Distract action for attackers to force change of sentries facing. Both players need agency. Attacker needs to separate defenders to pick em off while defender needs to balance positioning to raise alarm whilst guarding each others back.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The official rules (RAW) say that when the alarm is raised, all sentries are readied.

Including spotting for seriously injured friendly fighters is a 'required' house rule in my opinion.