Rebel grots as Skaven?

La'ayiv

Ganger
Apr 7, 2021
I'm thinking of making a rebel grots mob using Skaven models, because they have a few guns but mostly primitive weapons, I have a lot of them and because I just want to make something using Skaven anyways. The main problem would be vehicles, but I can work that out. What do you think?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Seeing as how two ships are stranded in GorkaMorka, and the crew of the human ship have degenerated into Muties and Diggas, why couldn’t the vermin infesting the ships evolve instead? That gives you “Skaven” and would allow them access to technology from the human ship.

Reactions: La'ayiv

La'ayiv

Ganger
Apr 7, 2021
Ok, quick update
I've mostly finished the actual skaven.
I'm also working on some "generic" special character rules like the hired guns in Necromunda, and one of them is a skaven. I'm going with Punkatu's theory, having mutated rodents which escaped from the Eternal Vigilance then migrated across the desert to the Volcanoes and became skaven.

Reactions: Punktaku

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Skaven could easily work either as rebel grots or diggaz. If you're not set on grots, the latter might make the vehicle problem easier.

La'ayiv

Ganger
Apr 7, 2021
No, some kind of space marine tank thing cut half open and made of cheap metal. I have no budget to buy new stuff.

La'ayiv

Ganger
Apr 7, 2021
by the way, I said the space marine tank was made of cheap metal, but I actually mean it was Painted to look like it was made of cheap metal. Big difference.

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Maybe they were on the Hulk. Rats that had infested the original ships. Then spent millennia floating about the warp with no gellar fields. Daemons weren't to interested in devouring or possessing them etc. So they were able to mutate by the fickle powers of warp energy.
A space Hulk is big enough to conceal such things so when the orcs turned up they wouldn't notice it was occupied.
Or maybe they thought they killed 'em off.

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
If you're finding Angelis limiting (canonically dead to a microbial level before the arrival of the humans and the hulk) you can always set things on another, similar planet. A "Gorkamorka World", as @Depiff terms them:
Gorkamorka Worlds

Many will be familiar with the tale of Angelis. Orks have space hulk. Orks crash Space Hulk. Orks build society on destroyed planet. Orks scavenge for scrap for the Mekboyz. Mekboyz build giant technological effigy to Mork/Gork to get them rescued. Orks disagree whether it’s Mork or Gork. Civil war ensues. It’s a tale as old at time.

Angelis is a desolate and harsh environment. At least it is now, after the Orks ploughed into it. It should come as no surprise that all their scavenging is to provide scrap to the mekboyz so they can build their Gorkamorka. It is such a massive feat of greenskin engineering that nobody is quite sure how it will work. Perhaps a beacon or rocketship? Maybe a tellyporta? Who knows? The meks certainly don’t.

Angelis however is not the only planet where this has happened. Orks, if you would be believe it, crash space hulks all the time. The range of planets they crash into vary significantly, from desert wastelands to ice moons, from ocean worlds to lava pits. I for one am curious that Orks tend to crash into planets where one geographic typography is dominant. Although it’s not hard to imagine the curious flyboyz trying to a closer look.
Orks have a very primal drive so it should come as no surprise to you that once faced with similar crashed space hulk scenarios that they behave in the same way. Orks crash Space Hulk. Orks build society on destroyed planet. Orks scavenge for scrap for the Mekboyz. Mekboyz build giant technological effigy to Mork/Gork to get them rescued. Orks disagree whether it’s Mork or Gork. Civil war ensues. It’s a tale as old at time. And repeats itself all over the galaxy.

I’m unsure if this predictable behaviour is their primal survival instinct or just in the space hulk’s inflight magazine and safety manual. In either case, the combination of the specific events and mechanical effigy is known as Gorkamorka, thus if we see Orks in that situation on a planet, the planet is known as a Gorkamorka world.

While Angelis is the most notorious, due to some of the other factions and races that joined the fight, there may be some others that might sound familiar, such as Da Deff Islands. Da Deff Islands is a Gorkamorka World where their space hulk crashed into an ocean world, where nearly the entire surface of the planet is covered in water. While their vehicles may change, exchanging a wheel for a rudder, their mission stays the same – to gather scrap for the Meks to finish Gorkamorka. You’ll find this behaviour everywhere that Orks are marooned.

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
If you're finding Angelis limiting (canonically dead to a microbial level before the arrival of the humans and the hulk) you can always set things on another, similar planet. A "Gorkamorka World", as @Depiff terms them:
It's rather bizarre how GW painted themselves into a corner with the setup of Gorkamorka. Really weird and probably something they were kicking themselves for as soon as the books went to print!

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
They did do a thing that occasionally Necromunda gangs would be teleported there.
They published a fan's rules for it - that doesn't exactly make it canonical.

Is this true? Where did things like the sand gulpers come from?
There's a report at the back of Da Uvver Book that's reprinted in the 3rd edition Necron codex - the planet was suspiciously dead and yet giving off energy readings:
bIBeORy.jpg

As for the sand gulpers - either the hulk or perhaps they're not actually organic! A quick glance at the scenario and I don't actually see anything that explicitly states anything. In real terms they probably just didn't think about it when they wrote it, admittedly. The setup for Angelis is needlessly restrictive.

I like to think that maybe they look a bit like this...

Reactions: Ben_S