N18 Reference materials for look of Hive Dwellers?

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Wondering if anyone has come across art, conversions, or even written descriptions that would shed some light on the typical appearance of a non-gangster Hive dweller.

I want to build some conversions of my own to use in various scenarios, but it's kind of tough to decide where to start. I'm leaning towards using Warhammer Fantasy Empire models as a base (or Free People or wtf they're called in AoS) but am slighly worried that they'll look too low tech.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
The art I can think of almost all focuses on the fighters. There is more variety in old confrontation-era stuff, but that tends to be of merchants, guilders and the like rather than general population.

Of the few crowd-scenes I can recall, the general populace is decidedly low-tech - Empire models might fit in quite well, as will priest-style models - the hooded cassock is the year-on-year fashion staple that just keeps on giving.

It's also entirely possible one section of hive would have a different fashion to another section - partially dependent on which house is in control of it I would think, so you could really get away with almost anything.

You might get some inspiration from this old DakkaDakka article about civillian life in 40K.

Reactions: Aulenback and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
th?id=OIP.rvNDUS15_qIGicvcHH7ofQHaFi&w=274&h=205&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

th?id=OIP.idH5EAOO8nGC37e4Xw8XZQHaHp&w=185&h=185&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

these tankers and crew are probably a good starter for looks, not armoured, wearing menials/boiler suits (I imagine factory workers would be similarly attired).

Reactions: Stoof

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Watch Blame! on Netflix. there’s a few scenes in the villages that could reflect downhive or even hive proper attire.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Watch Gangs of New York. Apart from it being an amazing film it’s pretty much how I imagine the Gang system working in Necromunda.

Structurewise I’ve always seen the Hive as a cross between Blade Runner and a Wild West town. Run down modern, and fairly lawless.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
The Kal Jerico and Redeemer comics included occasional civvies, in the lower hives. Lots of jumpsuits and jackets, or shirt-and-trousers and jackets, for the most part. Black and white comics, though, so no suggestion of colours there. Some capelets and hoods, so somewhere in between Orlock and Cawdor?

Edit: Hunting up some images, if can. But Scabbs can stand as an example. Shirt-and-trousers, sleeveless long jacket, boots. New Scabbs gets stranger, with a torn Cawdor tunic with epaulettes, a billed cap, and replacing a boot with a shoe. In the original Necromunda setting, most civilians will also be armed, at least nominally, as GW included in the Adeptus Arbites fluff the idea that being unarmed was illegal under a suicide law [lifted from Judge Dredd and 2000AD, really].

Edit again: Also a good spot to search in addition to Jerico comics, will be Klovis comics.
bd6c31_6199308.jpg

While the Scavvy on the left is... well... a Scavvy and a mutant, the heretics in the middle and on the right might be viewed as more 'typical' in their wardrobe. One wears a sleeveless long coat and a scarf, the other a sleeveless shirt and trousers. Both wear boots.

Last edited:
Reactions: DArquebus

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Some Hivers in general crowd scenes in various Kal Jerico comics:

bigc1.jpg

Which is to say, various people that Karl Kopinski knows.

Enforcer+Onslaught.png

Civvies in the Underhive, according to the Kal Jerico comics, look generally like gangers, but less extremely so.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Or basically any of the old Dredd comics (seeing as Mega City One was the inspiration for Confrontation)

Reactions: Aulenback