N18 Regarding xenos tech - the illegal trading post

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
The purpose of this thread is to identify what is what and what looks best for it.
I've done what I could to bring everything together from official concepts or licensed stuff so here we go.
QDe8P7s.jpg

None fall into the pistol category so the razor pistol is a no-go obviously but I wanted to include it because it's the only officially named weapon for Rak Gol. They have some kind of cyber axe and chain sword arm but that's of no value to this conversation. At least the pistol gives me an idea where to begin.
The Necrotic Beamer is essentially any lich's staff so thats going to be nothing to do for anyone.
The only art for anything Demiurg is a rough sketch from Jes, one weird looking survey tool and either 2 or 3 ship designs.. so I'm open to any ideas.
The Xenarch Death-Arc is mentioned in some FFG game as a rifle sized thing but thats about it aside from an image of one weird piece of tech that looks like a Baroque Google Glass
And the Yu Vath are either some king of energy being or mish mash construct from what I can gather so I'm just thinking go Hellraiser with it

So, anyone got any answers and did I screw something up terribly here?

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Pretty sure the new book has a set of illegal xeno weapons, the ones on the picture were mentioned in the live stream.
Exactly right. I'm trying to put the gear to it's official model or art, provided such a thing actually exists.

Reactions: Paupoi

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
For some reaosn I have in my head that the death arc is a crystalline weapon. Not idea where that comes from.

Based on stats although it doesn't have the side arm trait i would have it down as the shruken pistol not the "rifle" but that's just me.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I don't know anything but Imperial tech so if the statline is more pistol than that's what I'll use. It is completely understandable that a human wouldn't know how to use an Eldar pistol properly.

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
It's more that it makes it a simpler modelling option aswell when you don't have to carve out a hand to fit/ have them single handing an assault rifle...

As I haven't down 40k since 3rd ed I have no clue on the current state of zenos weaponry

1 comments
Last edited:

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Well, this is me. So fiddly, tedious modeling is totally what I do but I think either would work because they're much closer in scale than bolters and las weapons.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
could the “razor pistol” be a Dark Eldar splinter pistol? or have the DE been retconned away from Splinter weapons?

any chance some of those weapons could be unique? the xerach death arc name makes me think of Maugham-Ra’s scythe-shuriken cannon combo.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
For some reaosn I have in my head that the death arc is a crystalline weapon. Not idea where that comes from.

Based on stats although it doesn't have the side arm trait i would have it down as the shruken pistol not the "rifle" but that's just me.
From the book: "A relic of the Xenarch strain of the Galactic Northern Rim, the Death-arc is a potent energy weapon. What makes it so effective is its cyclonic charge cells that generate prodigious amounts of energy, and even replenish the weapon's stores as it unleashes a storm of electrical death upon the wielder's enemies."

It is classed as a close combat weapon with melee, plentiful, rapid fire (2), shock, and versatile. So effectively it is a handheld device containing a perpetual energy source in the form of a never-ending storm, and it can fire chain lightning blasts at a short range (5").

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
My copy came today, and I was laughing like a lunatic the whole way through the new equipment/wargear section.

There were *SO* many players who hated the new ruleset for giving gangers Tactical Marine-tier equipment... I wonder how they feel now that a fighter can out-gear, like, a Chapter Master.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
An inquisitor would be green with envy ad everything a ganger with means can access now. You can ALMOST build a Spyrer out of whats available.

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
I like it personally, adding variety and chaos (with a small c) to the game and the setting for me it's better seen as parallel universe like blood bowl with the old-world on Warhammer. But hey also watch out for the can of worms....

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Yeah like it or not they have a specific campaign length in mind when they designed N18 and it was a short burn, splinter gangs and the like reset it whilst keeping some of your "characters" I still haven't played full campaigns as time factors mean I have mostly been skirmishing but I think then "aim" is an almost role play story arc where you one of your juves advances over several campaigns until they are leading their own gang. If this is possible I don't know but the grand scheme is a nice idea

Reactions: Vonvilkee
Jun 15, 2014
Almeria, Spain
Don't you think these weapons are totally out of setting?
Will be OK for a campaign based on off world exploration or in the Eye of selene, even as some exotic equiptment of a very special character
But for sale in the underhive?

Paupoi

Gang Champion
Jul 6, 2013
Barcelona, Sabadell
Sure it could be out of setting but in that case just ban xeno weapons. I think they look fun and will probably house rule that only one of each can exist at the same time so they stay weird and unique.

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
It depends on which view you have of the 40k universe. If you look at the Dan abnett books about the inquisition or gaunt's ghosts I terms of tech and aliens. They are creating something that matches rogue trader and these books. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but it adds lots of options.

Lots of people go on about the original fluff for necromunda but that was even more of a mess, the books range from high end cyberpunk to ash wastes westerns with lots in between.

For me Necromunda would really benefit from beifit with being its own setting as this would mean that people could stop comparing it to 40k.

I do however think a low tech wastes/fallen hive setting with limited weaponry risk of starvation etc would be a great project. ...

Reactions: kendoka and Paupoi
Jun 15, 2014
Almeria, Spain
I don't think inquisition or gaunt books are valid comparisons. Inquisitor are above all imperial restriction and deal with people who broke them, and gaunt ghost fought in wars involving chaos and xenos mercenaries, so of course will contact with tainted artifacts or technology from other races.

But Necromunda is a very regulated imperial setting where everything entering or exiting the planet is held very tight by authorities. Of course will be back market but is near impossible to involve xenos weapons other than a near legendary item bought in secret by collectors nobles. This is another nail in the coffin for how GW is treating the setting.

But I am an old grumpy player who wants balance and coherence, we are outdated.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I don't think inquisition or gaunt books are valid comparisons. Inquisitor are above all imperial restriction and deal with people who broke them, and gaunt ghost fought in wars involving chaos and xenos mercenaries, so of course will contact with tainted artifacts or technology from other races.

But Necromunda is a very regulated imperial setting where everything entering or exiting the planet is held very tight by authorities. Of course will be back market but is near impossible to involve xenos weapons other than a near legendary item bought in secret by collectors nobles. This is another nail in the coffin for how GW is treating the setting.

But I am an old grumpy player who wants balance and coherence, we are outdated.
I don’t know that Xenos weapons have ever been particularly hard to get on Necromunda. There was always an active Eldar and Xenos community in one of the smaller parts of the spire and the Spyrer tech always had Xenos implications to it.

The bigger issue with N18 is that rare weapons in general are just much easier to get than they used to be. If all this was in some sort of rare trade chart that you only rolled on once or twice after every game with a diminishing chance of this sort of tech it would be ok.

But that seems like a heretical idea to the current zeitgeist of wanting all the toys.

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Part of me wonders if the law and misrule campaign was initially going to be set on the eye of selene with smuggling etc all underway and hence the cold traders etc but they decided to junk the setting and keep everything else...

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Don't you think these weapons are totally out of setting?
Will be OK for a campaign based on off world exploration or in the Eye of selene, even as some exotic equiptment of a very special character
But for sale in the underhive?
For me all of the item names/descriptions are just "skins" --what I'm actually interested are the new statlines, effects and depth they bring to the game. I have no difficulty conceptualizing an Inferno Pistol as merely "really good hive pistol" instead of "nonsensical copy of the ultra rare pistol only Dante used to have".

I do wish they did a better job of unifying the campaign types or splitting up the content of every expansion into a la carte modules. Like, I want the Black Market and its items in my ongoing Dominion campaign, I don't want to have to learn a new campaign type and restart... time for more House Rules, I suppose...