N18 Resolving Melta trait after scatter regarding range

Jan 28, 2017
Scenario:

person a shooting a multi melta at short range(12 inches) at person B misses his attack and the template scatters 4 inches backwards away from person B. It now lands on person c and it now is no longer in the short range after the scatter. does the shot:

1. resolve at short range because it was fired at a short range target and scattered beyond... this would allow it to retain the melta trait.
2. lose the melta trait because it has "left the short range" and will be resolved at long range weapon char profile.

Jan 28, 2017
The shot would no longer be in 'short range' then right? I think this would be in line with both RAW and rule as intended.
so if that's the case, lets say the target is in short(12 inch) at 11.5 inches away and the scatter goes 1 inch behind hitting both targets B and C. B is the orig intended target and in short range and C is at long range. The blast is effectively both in long an short range, but centered at long range after being shot and measured in short. how would this resolve.

Jan 28, 2017
The shot would no longer be in 'short range' then right? I think this would be in line with both RAW and rule as intended.
also, in reference to RAW. when in the shooting sequence, you measure range at the second step.... how could a weapon be fired with short range modifiers and then switch to long range characteristics mid sequence. It stands to reason that when you fire a shot, it will resolve according the those same characteristics for the remainder of the sequence.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
so if that's the case, lets say the target is in short(12 inch) at 11.5 inches away and the scatter goes 1 inch behind hitting both targets B and C. B is the orig intended target and in short range and C is at long range. The blast is effectively both in long an short range, but centered at long range after being shot and measured in short. how would this resolve.
This one is obviously a bit shadier so might be worth writing in to ask. Personally I would judge it by the center of the blast since this is technically where the shot hits.

also, in reference to RAW. when in the shooting sequence, you measure range at the second step.... how could a weapon be fired with short range modifiers and then switch to long range characteristics mid sequence. It stands to reason that when you fire a shot, it will resolve according the those same characteristics for the remainder of the sequence.
Yes you measure the range to find out if an attack is using short range modifiers. I do however believe that there is nowhere mentioning that this would be an actual term or condition i.e. 'we have now measured the range and this is a "Short Range" attack' one could just as well argue that due to the scatter it will end up as being an attack within short range.

Anyway, without doubt the situation with the melta rule is a clearly meant as illustrating that it is more powerful the closer the target is when hit. The blast of the melta wouldn't irl be doing the same thing as a bouncing grenade wither but will probably rather have punched through the wall when scattering out of LOS (also mentioned as an alternative in the 'blast' rules if I'm not mistaken). So IMO option 2 would probably be the way to go and option 1 a sure way to become 'that guy' and lose friends.

Reactions: Ben_S and Thorgor

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
The fluff behind Melta seems to be that it loses its lethality the further it travels. With that in mind, I'd mesure the distance between the shooter and the affected fighter(s) (for non-Blast weapons) or between the shooter and the center of the Blast marker (for Blast weapons, measuring around walls as normal), regardless of the original range of the shoot.
Missing Alice at short range should not result into a stray shot that vaporises Bob at long range.

Jan 28, 2017
Makes sense, I suppose if it were meant to stay lethal at whatever range it ended up, it would have had an alternate firing mode that was short range only. thanks yall

Reactions: TabulaRasa

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
For the record, stray shots don't continue past the target fighter, so you'll never hit someone further away.
Unless you're talking about shooting into a melee at the very edge of range I guess.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
For the record, stray shots don't continue past the target fighter, so you'll never hit someone further away.
Unless you're talking about shooting into a melee at the very edge of range I guess.
We’re talking about scattered blasts, so it has nothing to do with either melee or stray shots.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Thorgor mentioned a stray shot hitting someone further away.
Although it's possible he meant stray shot in the colloquial sense, I just wanted to mention that last comment incase I wasn't.
My old group house ruled that stray shots continued to the maximum range of the weapon, and it certainly made the (already atrocious) stray shot rules even worse.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
Thorgor mentioned a stray shot hitting someone further away.
Although it's possible he meant stray shot in the colloquial sense, I just wanted to mention that last comment incase I wasn't.
My old group house ruled that stray shots continued to the maximum range of the weapon, and it certainly made the (already atrocious) stray shot rules even worse.
The context is for a scattering melta blast marker in the case of this specific thread.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Nah, he is absolutely correct, I was talking about Stray shots as the problem is not specific to Blast and scatter. You can have a similar problem with the Stray shot rule, or the Ricochet tactics card, or even (hypothetically) with Rapid fire if they ever make a rapid fire melta weapon. Anything that could cause you to hit something else than the original target really.
For stray shots, just take it in reverse then: you target Bob at long range, the shot misses and hits Alice who is hiding at short range. The Melta rule should apply to her.

Reactions: TabulaRasa