Drag to reposition cover

Rise of the Warlords

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Hello all

Some of the old and smelly amongst you may remember me and @Domino from our long-running necromunda NCE campaign called Return of the Warlords.

We wrapped up chapter 2 on that for a while in order to focus on 40k, however it will all be linked eventually.

This thread is to post up our thoughts/reports etc for a new campaign that we’ve been planning for some time now, and if you thought the necromunda campaign was involved...

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Intro from @Domino -

Lord Ilya Aspen Connaught: Rogue Trader
Excerpt from personal records.

Alledged source: Aeldari Pathfinder 'Doom Walker' (Disambiguation: No record of name other than this generic reference).

It has always been the belief on the Craftworld of Anaris Shelwe (Song of the Dawnlight) that the smith god, Vaul, still resides in a hidden place away from all, for is it not known that Khaine chained the crippled god to his anvil.
'What proof!' I hear you cry. Is it not known that that our technology, though a shadow of bygone years, is still superior to that of any other race and that this would not be so if 'She Who Thirsts' had devoured him during the dark time of the fall
Khaine, in his wisdom, has provided no clue as to where he left Vaul, but this has not daunted us in our search and our Rangers have indicated a system that may provide a clue.
Currently it is in the hands of the Mon Kiegh, so we have sent a small force ahead to scout the worlds whilst we prepare.
The seals on the web way are lifted.
Let none come between us and our goal.
Our time has come!

Elaniel Anarun: High Seer of Craftworld Anaris Shelwe addressing the council.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Intro from Stubram -

The Wolves of the Harour Stjornandi came to Providence.
A dead planet, scoured by a war already millennia old before the Imperium even discovered it. A place of scarred ruins, twisted sky scrapers, and deserts of billowing grey ash. A place of desolation and whispers. Once a thriving hub of power and commerce, now home to scavengers and carrion, (both human and otherwise), who had long picked over the bones of this world.
Though their past stood them apart from the local inhabitants, the Wolves were ultimately no different. Providence had one last secret to surrender, one it would be reluctant to relinquish.
They would tear that secret from the world, and cast the ashes of those who opposed them to the uncaring desert.

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
@Stubram and I have played the first game of our new Narrative campaign over two Thursday evenings, and was it a close run thing.
I claimed what I describe as a Phyrric Victory as the fates ended the game with 1 point in my favour with two of my Aeldari Rangers still standing.
Once I review the video footage I will post a report on the game, said footage will become available once I learn to edit it, along with my Custom Characters for the campaign and initial 1000pt list.

For the moment though, here is a little snippet to set the tone and motivations of Anaris Shelwe:

They say our gods are dead!
But Khain shattered himself and resides still in our halls.

But Cegoragh tricked she who thirsts and wanders the secret ways still.

But Isha is said to be a prisoner of the diseased one.

But none know where Khain hid Vaul.

But new gods are said to be rising and standing with us against the foe.

An interlopers wish.

Farseer Barleath Asurdor addressing Craftworld Anaris Shelwe in front of a Rogue Trader delegation to make the point that the Aeldari Gods are rising and not dead as the younger races believe.

Domino

Ganger
Jul 16, 2014
Wyke Road, Weymouth, Dorset
This is my list that kicked off the new 8th Edition 40K narrative campaign that @Stubram and I played recently:

Command Point Total - 9
Battle Forged - 3
Battalion - 5
Vanguard - 1
Battalion
HQ

Farseer
Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Rune Armour 4++, Ghost Helm
Powers – Smite, Executioner, Fortune
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Ghost Helm, Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer [115pts]

Farseer
Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Rune Armour 4++, Ghost Helm
Powers – Smite, Guide, Doom
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Ghost Helm, Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer [115pts]

Spirit Seer
Spirit Staff, Blazing Star of Vaul*, Rune Armour 4++
Powers – Smite, Jinx/Protect
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Spirit Mark [65pts]

* Remnant of Glory

Troops

6*Dire Avengers
Avenger Shuriken, Plasma Grenade
Defence Tactics, Ancient Doom, Battle Focus
Exarch, Twin Avenger Catapults
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Battle Fortune 4++, Defence Tactics – 5+ Overwatch [80pts]

5*Rangers
Long Rifle, Shuriken Pistol, Cameleoline Cloak
Appear unbidden, Ancient Doom, Battle Focus [60pts]

5*Rangers
Long Rifle, Shuriken Pistol, Cameleoline Cloak
Appear unbidden, Ancient Doom, Battle Focus [60pts]

5*Warp Spiders
Death Spinner, Warp Jump Generator
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Warp Strike, Iron Resolve, Flicker Jump
Warp Spider Exarch
Twin Death Spinner, Warp Jump Generator
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Warp Strike, Iron Resolve, Flicker Jump [102pts]

Section [597pts]

Vanguard
HQ

Custom Hero: Autarch Path Finder – Calbaer Morgath
Ranger Long Rifle*, Shuriken Pistol, Dire Sword, Force Shield 4++, Plasma Grenade D6 S4 AP-1 D1[0]
Targeting Augury (Enemy units do not gain cover from units shooting within 6” of this character); Infiltrator (May set up in ambush and reveal at end of any move phase); Camouflage (+2 to cover saves); Deadly Marksman (+1 to damage profile of ranged weapons); Hard to Kill (1,2 or 3 fails to wound against this character, even if the 'S' is greater than the 'T'); *Auto Loader on Long Rifle (Increases 'A' to Heavy 2)
Path of Command - Re-roll hit rolls of 1 for units within 6”, Command Point refund on 6+, Ancient Doom, Battle Focus [75pts]

Fast

9*Striking Scorpions
Shuriken Pistol, Scorpion Chainsaw
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Masters of Stealth, Shadow Strike, Mandiblasters
Striking Scorpion Exarch
Shuriken Pistol, Biting Blade
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Masters of Stealth, Shadow Strike, Mandiblasters, Sustained Attack [114pts]

6*Howling Banshees
Shuriken Pistol, Power Sword
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Acrobatic, Banshee Mask
Howling Banshee Exarch, Executioner
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Acrobatic, Banshee Mask, War Shout [94pts]

4*Fire Dragons
Fusion Gun, Melta Bomb
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Assured Destruction
Fire Dragon Exarch
Dragon Breath Flamer, Melta Bomb
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Assured Destruction, Crack Shot [120pts]

Section [403pts]

Army Total - 1000

The idea of this list is that it is a scout/recon in force, but is limited in unit availability due to gate access. This will become clear once the Narrative and Battle Report is posted.

Reactions: Stubram

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Well here's my guys. The Harour Stjornandi warband of Aelfwine The Blade that Cuts.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [63 PL, 8CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Gametype: Narrative

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +

Wolf Guard Battle Leader [4 PL, 80pts]: 07: Artificer Weapon, 1) Hero (4), 34: Stealth Assault, 42: Stealthy, 63: Reactive Tactics, Frost axe, Is a Custom Character, Storm shield, Warlord

Wolf Priest [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt pistol, The Wulfen Stone

+ Troops +

Blood Claws [7 PL, 87pts]
. 5x Blood Claw
. Blood Claw Pack Leader: Power fist

Blood Claws [7 PL, 87pts]
. 5x Blood Claw
. Blood Claw Pack Leader: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 106pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 5x Intercessor
. Intercessor Pack Leader: Power sword

+ Elites +

Wulfen Dreadnought [8 PL, 149pts]
. Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield: Fenrisian great axe
. . Blizzard Shield: Heavy flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Fenrisian Wolves [2 PL, 40pts]
. 5x Fenrisian Wolf

Swiftclaws [4 PL, 79pts]
. Swiftclaw: Chainsword
. . Bike: Twin boltgun
. Swiftclaw: Flamer
. Swiftclaw Pack Leader: Power sword

Wolf Scout Bikers [5 PL, 99pts]
. 2x Wolf Scout Biker: 2x Twin boltgun
. Wolf Scout Biker Pack Leader: Bolt pistol, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [3 PL, 72pts]
. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

Long Fangs [8 PL, 126pts]
. Long Fang: Heavy bolter
. Long Fang: Heavy bolter
. Long Fang: Plasma cannon
. Long Fang: Missile launcher
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Chainsword
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol

++ Total: [63 PL, 8CP, 1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Reactions: Domino

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
BATTLE 1 - Cloak and Shadows, 1000pts Wolves vs Aeldari. Wolf Perspective
The storm was immense. A wall of grit and rock and chemicals nearly a mile high descended on the warband without warning, plunging them into a whirling dervish of debris and dust. The howling wind and scouring sands left even their enhanced physiologies struggling to compensate, and they were forced to seek shelter in the tumbledown ruins and eroded structures of the dead culture that came before.
Cursing, High Priest Beorl rallied his charges and led them into the courtyard of what appeared to be a large residence. The Blood Claws boasted and complained, keen to pit themselves against the elements and push on with the mission. Beorl’s wolves, five in total, were less enthused to reenter the roil, and several were showing light injury where the grit had scoured away exposed fur and skin. They slunk and snapped at each other, keeping a healthy distance from the Blood Claws.
Their humors were unsurprising. The relic known as the Anima Reus that Beorl carried worried away at the psyche, heightening aggression and pulling at their sanity. It made for potent boost in battle, but left those who experienced it feeling hollow and listless.
Cowering was not to his liking, and he attempted to raise the leader of this warband.

full.jpg

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Only a few dozen metres away, Aelfwine ‘The Blade that Cuts’ marshalled the remainder of the group, ignoring his impatient Priests hails for the moment. His hearth-guard, led by Garret Stormseye, surrounded their lord in the ruins of a fortification. His charges – initiates keen to prove themselves – hunkered down were they could nearby. Only the dreadnought Stithulf seemed unperturbed by the weather, lumbering forward in an unhurried stride. Their goal – a collection of structures and machinery, lay tantalisingly close.

full.jpg

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
As an astartes, the the conditions wouldn’t debilitate any of his men, and as a bearer of the legacy of Russ, Aelfwine could cope better than most; his senses attuned to the environment, but Aelfwine was cautious where his second was bellicose, and he was adept at trusting those senses. The goal was at hand, their purpose drawing near, and yet…
A howl cut through the wind, followed by several more. Beorl reported several of his wolves were down – single high calibre shots. At the same time, Aelfwine’s veterans, his ‘Long Fangs’, bringing up the rear reported contact. Then the skies lit up with gunfire.
Ealdred, commander of the group's heavy weapons, drew bead on the new arrivals. Angular, heavily armoured and armed troops had materialised in front of them. They appeared to shimmer and jump in the poor light – some kind of teleportation ability. He drew breath to release fire when his eyes caught sight of a shimmering cloud, moving fast against the wind. It was upon him before he could give the order, and he fell to the ground, dissected into small pieces.

full.jpg

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Aelfwine had sent his scouting elements ahead. Distorted by the distance and storm, they reported several groups of hostiles closing in on their long range sensors. The conditions which delayed them also prevented them from identifying their new foes. They did report, however, that they were moving at speed, and seemed focused of Beorl’s position.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Incensed at the the callous execution of their lupine companions, the young bloods under Beorl’s stewardship surged into the storm, eager to cross blades with their attackers. Their leader, Lef Hereward, flexed his powerfist in anticipation.
Through the dust and wind, he caught sight of a diaphanous figure, twirling and leaping, seeming not at all inhibited by the elements, but rather, it used them, bent them to its will. Impossibly fast, the figure was upon them, and it was not alone. A wall of noise hit the Blood Claws, stunning them into immobility. At the same time, a dozen or so figures leapt from the shadows, chainswords emitting a throaty roar, face masks spitting death.
Seeing his charges about to be overwhelmed, Beorl leapt into the fray, the power of the artifact he carried spiking his aggression further, with several of the creatures falling to his mace. Alas, it was to no avail, as he saw his wards cut down before him within seconds. He; powerless to save them.

Elsewhere, the dreadnought Stithulf caught movement. He unleashed his heavy flamer, and several creatures in the distance briefly lit up the gloom with their dying throes. Rounding a corner, he came across two figures who seemed to be coordinating efforts. With a metallic roar echoing from his war horns, he charged in, closely followed by Aelfwine. The foe were cut down in short order.
Stithulf then moved on to wipe out the enemy in their own lines, while Aelfwine surged towards the final enemy commander.

Reactions: Spudweiser

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
The battle seemed to be reaching an apex. The creatures harrying the Long Fangs continued to spray their heathen guns, but the tough armour of the veterans saved them. Seemly distracted, the creatures were flanked and torn apart by the eager blades of the Blood Claws of Egir Wraithsbane, until only the leader of the strange group remained.

Finally, fighting through the storm, the scouting elements arrived – the snipers taking the high ground - immediately wounding an archaic looking figure with a long rifle. The bikers appeared on the flanks, mowing down the final spell-caster and moving toward the remaining Rangers, spraying them with shotgun blasts –frail bodies fell from the rooftops they’d been cowering behind.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Aelfwine engaged the enemy commander, seeking to pay back the Harour blood spilled. Elsewhere, the enraged Astartes massacred all they touched, until only a few of the wretched enemy remained.
Beorl continued to punish his men’s killers, slaying yet more of the enemy. The swiftclaws of the infamous Blood Eagle swept in, keen to join their glory with the Priest. Heavily outnumbered, Beorl roared his battle fury at the enemy, fighting off many times his number. In the press of bodies, one creature stood out – clearly some kind of leader. Distracted by the combats, his guard was down, and the creature struck, the strange blade passing all Beorl’s wards and protections, felling him. The Anima Reus fell from his fingers, into the outstretched hands of the creature that brought him down. Upon its touch, the forces of Aelfwine recoiled in psychic backlash. The Blood Eagles froze, and were quickly cut down, allowing the creature to make off with its most precious prize.

Aelfwine himself stumbled due to the Anima Reus’ effects,, allowing his adversary to bring him low. Only the timely intervention of the scout bikers, driving off the enemy warlord, saved Aelfwine’s life.
At the battle’s end, the enemy had been annihilated in their entirety, bar two Rangers who quickly dispersed. The field was in control of the Harour Stjornandi, but with their prized relic gone, and both war-leaders brought low, they were left to wonder if they had in fact lost, after all

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Well that was the fluffy bit. Massively biased towards me of course, and missed out loads of cool moments for the sake of the plot.

To summarise -. I gave up trying to grab objectives when Domino got a 6-2 lead on me, and tried to kill him to win.

Alas, he had 2 rangers left by end of turn 5, and needed to roll 3+ for the game to continue....he rolled a 2. A win to the pointy ears.

Games wise, I think it's fair to say that he deserved his win. Not only did he manage to pull a 'bait and switch' on me, stranding 1/3 of my army in no man's land for most of the game, he rolled, without exception, the worst dice I have ever seen in any game (and if you've been following our Necromunda campaign, you'll know that I'm no stranger to multiple snake eyes). His snipers couldn't wound anything, his psykers couldn't cast anything, he failed saving roll after saving roll, his Warp Spiders hardly moved (a succession on 1's and 2's over three turns meant that they were caught by my Blood Claws).

He even failed morale tests - something almost no one does in elite armies.

Despite that, he played like a champ, persevered, and pulled off a victory - even managing to take down two space wolf characters in combat - no mean feat!

Will look forward to the Domino perspective and follow up.

On to the post game narrative.

Reactions: Spudweiser

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
CHAPTER 1 AFTERMATH
The storm had finally retreated, taking the foe with it. Aelfwine picked his way over the battlefield, noting the corpses of the fallen. Their enemy had a name now -Aeldari.
He walked carefully – a wicked Aeldari blade had snuck between this chest plate and pauldrons, biting deep. If the scouts had not arrived when they did….
To fall to an eldar, and to have to be rescued, no less. He’d rather have died. The shame burned bright within. His usual taciturn and reserved demeanor threatened to crack. Aelfwine had a target for his ire, however, and sought him out now
Beorl 'Fate’s Master’ knelt over the body of Lef – the pack leader of the fallen Blood Claws. As he saw his battleleader, he made to rise, but had to be helped by one of the nearby hearth-guard. As he turned to face Aelfwine, the reason for his decrepitude became obvious. His ornate chest plate had been opened from sternum to waist. A narrow cut, but the volume of dried blood crusting his armour testified to it’s depth. More obvious was the stump of his right arm, ending at the elbow.

For all his pain, his face remained calm, and he faced his leader with unblinking eyes.

‘Huscarl’.

'Priest. Men are dead because of you. Our honour is lost, because of you'.

Beorl bristled. ‘Careful, Aelfwine, I’m not one of your band. I answer to the Antecedent'.

‘Here, in this place, you answer to me'. Aelfwine unlimbered his great axe. He had earned the title 'the Blade that Cuts' on the battlefield. His other, less favourable title was whispered amongst those that crossed him – The Headsman.

The Battleleader's hearth-guard gathered close. They wouldn’t interfere, but would stop others from doing so. They eyed the Blood Claws warily.

Aelfwine continued. ‘a sacred relic lost, and a tithe of new recruits butchered for your failings. You’ve humiliated yourself, and you’ve humiliated me. How will you redress this imbalance?’

The tension eased somewhat. Beorl was being given a second chance. His head would not be taken today, though the act of redemption would likely kill him.

Acknowledging his part in all this, Beorl spoke next.

'I will find the Anima Reus, I swear it. I will cut the heart of he who possesses it, and present it to the Antecedent'.

One of the scouts moved closer and handed the Aelfwine a device of clear xenos manufacture. It had been taken from one of the enemy commanders.

'You will accept your shame, and know you fight without honour until this deed is done'.

Aelfwine brandished the artefact, now revealed to be a gun of some wicked and archaic design.

'Since you fight without honour, you will use the enemies weapons against them. Study this. Unlock its secrets.’

He threw the device to Beorl.

‘Regain your honour, or die in the attempt.’

Last edited:

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Nice write up my dude, really makes it come to life. I look forward to seeing what @Domino comes up with!
That's what I love about these games. The dice make your characters do different things, so you have to adapt. I had it.in my head that Beorl was a wise but fierce old warrior. Turns out he's a prideful headstrong lunatic, who's now under a death sentence!