NCE Rules questions

Flibbertigibbet

Jul 17, 2021
Hi there, I am getting back into Necromunda after many years now that my children are old enough to understand most of the rules, however on reading them again I feel there are a couple of points that didn't come up first time around.

I am using N95 and Outlanders, and over the years have managed to accumulate several gangs or good proxies to give us a bit of variety, I don't have any real painting skills or the time and space to do much modifying.

I am happy to make up house rules if it makes the game more fun, but I like to stick to the official rules where I can, and just want to see if anyone else either knows the answers or has an opinion on the questions below.

1) A model can draw one close combat weapon when starting a HtH round... if the model already holds just one HtH weapon or pistol (and nothing heavier) does this mean they can draw their knife and get a second attack dice?

2) What is the point in the boxed Cawdor leader holding an Autopistol and Chainsword, with a Boltgun strapped to his back. RaW to me is that he gets no additional dice (carrying a basic weapon) but if he wins HtH has to divide his attacks between a S4 and S3 weapon. Am I missing something? Can he holster the pistol and just use the Chainsword for no combat disadvantage and potentially harder hitting?

3) What is the general consensus on two-handed weapons on a model holding a basic or special weapon? They need one hand to hold the other weapon, but for example the Arch-Zealot is written as having a flamer and a massive sword, can he (or any other similarly equipped model) not actually use his sword?

4) If a model is down and can crawl 2", and wants to descend a ladder that is 3" can he do this at all, stop part way, or does he fall the last inch and take an S1 hit?

5) Odd and specific question... would a hot-shot power pack on a one-in-a-million Las weapon create an Ammo roll, or be exempt as per the base weapon. Yes, I know it is two (random) rare trades when I could just choose a Boltgun or Shotgun if I roll a 1/1M basic weapon, but I have a custom Van Saar gang (based on Kabalites) with 4 lasguns and a laspistol (splinter weapons really but I and my children think they look pretty effective), and was thinking about longer term variety without chopping the models up...

I imagine as I get back into playing I will think of more questions, but any advice or opinions will be most appreciated.

Reactions: Stoof
Hi there, I am getting back into Necromunda after many years now that my children are old enough to understand most of the rules, however on reading them again I feel there are a couple of points that didn't come up first time around.

I am using N95 and Outlanders, and over the years have managed to accumulate several gangs or good proxies to give us a bit of variety, I don't have any real painting skills or the time and space to do much modifying.

I am happy to make up house rules if it makes the game more fun, but I like to stick to the official rules where I can, and just want to see if anyone else either knows the answers or has an opinion on the questions below.

1) A model can draw one close combat weapon when starting a HtH round... if the model already holds just one HtH weapon or pistol (and nothing heavier) does this mean they can draw their knife and get a second attack dice?

2) What is the point in the boxed Cawdor leader holding an Autopistol and Chainsword, with a Boltgun strapped to his back. RaW to me is that he gets no additional dice (carrying a basic weapon) but if he wins HtH has to divide his attacks between a S4 and S3 weapon. Am I missing something? Can he holster the pistol and just use the Chainsword for no combat disadvantage and potentially harder hitting?

3) What is the general consensus on two-handed weapons on a model holding a basic or special weapon? They need one hand to hold the other weapon, but for example the Arch-Zealot is written as having a flamer and a massive sword, can he (or any other similarly equipped model) not actually use his sword?

4) If a model is down and can crawl 2", and wants to descend a ladder that is 3" can he do this at all, stop part way, or does he fall the last inch and take an S1 hit?

5) Odd and specific question... would a hot-shot power pack on a one-in-a-million Las weapon create an Ammo roll, or be exempt as per the base weapon. Yes, I know it is two (random) rare trades when I could just choose a Boltgun or Shotgun if I roll a 1/1M basic weapon, but I have a custom Van Saar gang (based on Kabalites) with 4 lasguns and a laspistol (splinter weapons really but I and my children think they look pretty effective), and was thinking about longer term variety without chopping the models up...

I imagine as I get back into playing I will think of more questions, but any advice or opinions will be most appreciated.
Hello and welcome. What you are describing is my favorite iteration of the game so I will try to help you. I fully expect others will correct me if I get any details wrong.

1. Yes, assuming the model does not carry a basic, special, or heavy weapon. If they do they don't get the extra die.

2. This is simply a case of the sculptors and writers not communicating enough during development. It creates a grey area, you either ignore the extra weapons or allow them for that model with the caveat that it may affect game balance. I've often used that same model and just ignored the bolter so he could get the extra attack die from question one.

3. I'm guessing this is a similar answer to question 2, though I could be wrong.

4. We never allowed downed models to use ladders, but this may have been a houserule. It's suggested in the rulebook or the faq that models shouldn't stop partway on a ladder for simplicity, so that may have been how we came to that conclusion.

5. I'm less sure on this one, but I would think the "One in a Million" would trump the Hot Hot rule about ammo rolls. There may be some debate about putting a Hot Shot on a One in a Million Las, but I can't see a reason to deny it.

The Un-official Faq written by the designers way back when is a great resource for these kinds of questions and can be downloaded from the vault here. https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/un-official-necromunda-faq.2228/

I am using N95 and Outlanders... I like to stick to the official rules where I can,

FYI, you've tagged this post 'NCE' which is the unofficial Community Edition. It sounds like you actually want the original rulebook (ORB).

Just to be clear, the answers below are based on (what I consider) common sense, rather than referencing particular rules. It's been a long time since I played by the original rules...

Yes, you can use your free knife as an additional hand weapon, assuming you have another (pistol or hand weapon).

It's not an optimal loadout, certainly not for close combat. He would be able to use the autopistol for shooting, if in close range (+2) or the bolter was out of ammo, so it's not completely useless. But yes, he'd be better off using only the chainsword in close combat. I don't know of anything stopping him from doing so.

Not entirely sure. I think this was one area where there were subtle changes, either between different games (e.g. Necro and GorkaMorka) or between editions (e.g. ORB, LRB, and NCE). My recollection is that ORB said you couldn't use your second hand at all, whereas some later edition allowed you to use a second weapon but simply didn't get the extra attack dice.

I don't recall the rules saying anything. If you allow him to use a ladder at all, then I'd suggest allowing him to stop halfway (or two-thirds of the way). The reality is that movement is continuous.

5) Odd and specific question... would a hot-shot power pack on a one-in-a-million Las weapon create an Ammo roll, or be exempt as per the base weapon.

I'd go with no ammo rolls. After all, you could simply have had a bolter to begin with. Someone might worry that this lowers your gang rating (assuming it does), but I don't think it's enough to worry about.

Reactions: Stoof