Rules suggestions - Bottle tests

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Leadership stat being used by non-leader is a suspension of disbelief, but a needed one, like death and trauma. If every fighter that goes OOA on the battlefield simply dies like they should instead of shrugging off a bolter round to the face with a humiliated trauma, then the campaign would be unplayable. Same here - if only Leader can make bottle checks (then champs, then gangers) then LD would remain a very situational advance for gangers.

Edit: This does not mean that I would be against a solution for this, but so far I haven't thought of one that is easy to implement

Last edited:
Reactions: TopsyKretts

Ledward

Ganger
Jun 6, 2017
Belgium
It wouldn't make much difference in the start of a campaign as leaders have the highest LD in all gangs.
It somehow doesn't make sense to me that a low ganger decides when enough has been enough for the entire gang, that's where hierarchy comes into place. Sure Bob the ganger could inspire other members but should they even listen?
The usefulness of LD is still minor, for as long as someone else on the board has more than you.
If as a middleground, we could take (some) champions out of the who's LD we need to take for the bottle test by tying it to the gang hierarchy rule.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I'm sure you can see the other side of that, having fighters with worthless high Ld. Then you'd motivate gaming the system, either suiciding the leader (costly) to allow using the higher Ld of a second in command. Or try to bait a juve into dying close to the leader, so the leader hopefully becomes broken? Or keep a juve high above the leader, and suicide jump it down next to the leader once a bottle test is imminent.

Ledward

Ganger
Jun 6, 2017
Belgium
Game wise I fully agree.
I'll let the decision be in the player's hands.
I'll make sure to keep my own leader at highest LD then ;)... Now, where are my gold plated gun?

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I think someone other than the leader having a higher leadership is almost a complete non-issue.

Perhaps the leader is better at organising the gang behind the scenes. Making sure people know their place and can work and live together.
Whereas she knows that one of her champions is much better at actually inspiring the crew on the front lines.

If we are doing leadership tests, just stating use the highest is by far the simplist way of doing things that's never going to cause issues.

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I think someone other than the leader having a higher leadership is almost a complete non-issue.

Perhaps the leader is better at organising the gang behind the scenes. Making sure people know their place and can work and live together.
Whereas she knows that one of her champions is much better at actually inspiring the crew on the front lines.

If we are doing leadership tests, just stating use the highest is by far the simplist way of doing things that's never going to cause issues.
I like that flavor explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Al_Weeks

Ledward

Ganger
Jun 6, 2017
Belgium
Indeed it does. Sorry for the rambling, but now we thought it through ;)
Should pets and familiars be counted as models for the bottle tests?

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Indeed it does. Sorry for the rambling, but now we thought it through ;)
Should pets and familiars be counted as models for the bottle tests?
I'd say no, otherwise they become a detrimental. They indirectly influence bottle by being a potential nerve test for their owner.

Edit:
Spotted an Escher player 😄

Al_Weeks

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Dec 22, 2014
Bristol
All good suggestions. Nothing really to add from me. I like the idea of using Leadeship for the initial bottle roll, then cool for for
Individual fighters to stick around as now.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Spenetrator

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Apr 2, 2018
York, UK

I read this and thought of literally every episode of Sharpe... Officers come up with the plans, Sharpe & Harper get the boys over the line.
Nothing to add here really, I agree with the process we've got taking shape. :)

Reactions: Al_Weeks