Rules Suggestions- Shooting

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Just a quick one: does anybody think we need to make any major adjustments to line of sight? There's been some discussion of moving to a hitbox system (based on model size) and I thought it would be good to get some idea of how popular a change this might be.

Personally I like the current classic system of actually having to target models rather than using abstractions, but what the community wants goes.

So please, speak up and tell us what you think!

Reactions: TopsyKretts

M4dCallum

Juve
Feb 17, 2014
Just a quick one: does anybody think we need to make any major adjustments to line of sight? There's been some discussion of moving to a hitbox system (based on model size) and I thought it would be good to get some idea of how popular a change this might be.

Personally I like the current classic system of actually having to target models rather than using abstractions, but what the community wants goes.

So please, speak up and tell us what you think!
This is one of the areas where the GW rules perform well.
They literally say “be gracious” and settle disputes with a dice roll.
When applied this has worked smoothly for every game I’ve played.
Maybe add a note to be generous to models with dynamic poses, and to immediately walk away from the table if they are obviously modelling for advantage.
(You can laugh about their ugly minis while doing something that is actually worth your time.)

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Yeah, this is my thought exactly. The system works as is and does not need to be complicated further.

However, alternative methods have been suggested, and as such there is now a new Proposal thread (the first of many!) with a poll. So please, let us know what you think.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
This is one of the areas where the GW rules perform well.
They literally say “be gracious” and settle disputes with a dice roll.
That's not a rule though, that's an absence of rule. It's basically the writers telling you to sort it out yourself.

Also, walking away from the table may not be a very attractive option when you just drove 1 hour just to get a game.

M4dCallum

Juve
Feb 17, 2014
That's not a rule though, that's an absence of rule. It's basically the writers telling you to sort it out yourself.

Also, walking away from the table may not be a very attractive option when you just drove 1 hour just to get a game.
They do tell you specifically how to sort it out yourself. “If your thoughts are anything other than - There’s no way that fighter has line of sight - we recommend allowing it” If not that’s what the dice roll is for.
It’s a simple system and it works well in practice.
As for your second point about the drive, it sounds like a sunk cost fallacy. If my opponent was so desperate to win they modelled their gang as hunchbacks with the arms folded in to abuse cover mechanics I’d still walk away, there’s no fun to be had from playing out that game.
I did say it should be an advisory note though, anyone else is welcome to play that game, but from experience your playgroup will improve if that sort of behaviour isn’t tolerated.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Part of the point is remove as much ambiguity as possible.
For example, I have a fighter modeled pointing a pistol - her hand sticks out quite a lot.
I consider that pose very dynamic and believe her hand shouldn't be a legitimate target. My opponent disagrees. That's a discussion which slows down the game and will likely leave one person feeling sour as they either get shot when they thought they were safe, or can't shoot when they thought they had a shot. Regardless, packing up and going home is a bit of a nuclear option for a minor disagreement.

I'm not worried about extreme cases, like a gang of crouching models, because Necromunda is played by reasonable people and that doesn't happen/is easy to resolve.
What I'm worried about is the "middle" cases that are on that fuzzy grey line defined by "reasonable interpretation", because reasonable people come just barely on either side of that line and that causes friction.

JayTee

Ganger
Jun 14, 2015
Part of the point is remove as much ambiguity as possible.
For example, I have a fighter modeled pointing a pistol - her hand sticks out quite a lot.
I consider that pose very dynamic and believe her hand shouldn't be a legitimate target. My opponent disagrees.
Interestingly pg19 in the Dark Uprising rulebook has an example of this exact situation, and is absolutely unambiguous that you do not have LoS on a fighter just because you can see a hand.