Rules Suggestions- Term Glossary

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Well we're just looking for suggestions at the moment, issues to discuss later.

On the subject of terms, though, from another thread...

It has already been said but the Round/Phase/Turn/Activation/Action terminology needs to be clearly defined and consistently used throughout the rules.

My current understanding is that:

A game is made from:
  • The Pre-battle sequence
  • A succession of Rounds
  • The Post-battle sequence
A Round is made from:
  • The Priority phase
  • The Action phase
  • The End phase
The Action phase is made from:
  • A succession of player's Turns
A player's turn is made from:
  • One or several fighter's Activations (one in the usual case, several with Group Activation)
A fighter's Activation is made from:
  • One or several Actions (or zero)
Or, to put it another way:
  • Game
    • Pre-battle sequence
    • Rounds
      • Priority phase
      • Action phase
        • Player's Turns
          • Fighter's Activation(s)
            • Action(s)
      • End phase
    • Post-battle sequence

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
If when it does get its own thread, apparently someone can use 1A to shoot and the a 2nd Action to Move away. I wasn’t aware of this. I assumed that Shooting ended your models Activation.
If a model can shoot and then move, then it could feasibly just stand there and use 2A to rapid fire/shoot twice

= the simple/basic/double thing is confusing, but so too could the 1A/2A thing, and each Action would still need clarifiers.

Shoot -> Move has always been legal under the N17+ rulesets.
The change for Activation points would be mainly a cosmetic one, to make things clearer (for instance, some players are not aware that performing two different Basic actions during the same activation is legal).

I agree that it'll eventually warrant a dedicated discussion thread when we reach pass 2.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
That's a good example of why I'd like to get rid of Basic/Simple/Double. Fight should be Fight, regardless of whether you can do it twice during your activation or not.
Another example is that a fighter with Fast Shoot (turns Shoot (Basic) into Shoot (Simple)) can't make use of Overwatch, because it only works with Shoot (Basic)...

If we don't want Overwatch to work with Unwieldy weapons, then we can just spell it out, no need to restrict it to Shoot (Basic).
Now you got me convinced. Didn't care much for this change originally.

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I feel that Global special rules for fighter kinda belong here instead of its own thread. Instead of repeating "When this goliath leader passes a Cool test when fleeing, every friendly fighter within 12" autopass" for every leader, just have Leading by Example (X"). We are not trying to bloat the book to sell more paper like GW writers do :sneaky: . Same with group activation rule. Perhaps we'll have more global rules when we get to juves, prospects and such.

Reactions: Thorgor and Ledward

Jayward

Ganger
Aug 4, 2020
Yeah, Leading by Example (Technically part of Gang Hierarchy in the new books) and Group Activation are prime examples.

Things that are also consistent enough to be global rules in the new books would be Tools of the Trade, Fast Learner, Hot Headed, and Gang Fighter (X).

Reactions: JawRippa

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I feel that Global special rules for fighter kinda belong here instead of its own thread. Instead of repeating "When this goliath leader passes a Cool test when fleeing, every friendly fighter within 12" autopass" for every leader, just have Leading by Example (X"). We are not trying to bloat the book to sell more paper like GW writers do :sneaky: . Same with group activation rule. Perhaps we'll have more global rules when we get to juves, prospects and such.
That's already the case. I don't reprint to fill pages like GW does. All fighters share the same universal rules (depending on class), be it Goliath leader or Chaos leader. Any exceptions are specifically stated under each individual fighter. For example, Stimmer does NOT have Group Activation.

1601466968650.png

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Oops, I should update that table after Escher book, because it looks like the new champions will have group activations and stimmer is an exception to this rule!