N18 Sabotage scénario question

Hi guys.
I was the attacker. The defender failed his bottle test turn 5. Then his last fighter, seriously injured, went out of action, while I didn't succeeded in destroying the target, with 7 gangers on the table left.
So, he didn't do fleed voluntarily. But I didn't sabotaged. So he takes the money. But what about the territory ? Do I get to gain it, or does the defender gain the territory at stake ?
Thanks for your answers.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Rulebook p133 said:
The attacker wins if, at the end of the battle, they have destroyed the target and fewer than half of their crew have been taken Out of Action. If they have not destroyed the target, the defender wins. Otherwise, the battle ends in a draw.
Since you didn't destroy the target (and your opponent didn't voluntarily flee), the defender wins and consequently gets the territory at stake.

Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
As stated, RAW he wins.

I (and many others) believe this to be stupid. If there's no one to stop you sabotaging the target, what stops you?

The argument in favour of the current rules is that it forces playing the objective, thereby stopping the attacker playing the mission like a standoff.
Personally, I think that's silly because they're going to have to fight their way through the defender to get there, so it's very likely that the defender bottles before they get there, thereby preventing them from winning.
Which is bad for both players. Most people are decent folk, and they view running away to steal a victory from a gang that's obviously beaten them cheesy.

Reactions: BranBuccarcher