spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
So has anyone else found some great utility from the book of outcasts powers?

My recent game against goliaths had me basically stacking conditions on them to make them go away, as my mutated ogyrn and both spawn failed quite epically in pushing the goliaths back, all of them falling one by one to the muscle heads. The day however was won by my trust witch and (to an extent) my leader. The witch has Hallucinations, gifting insanity out freely, and a hand flamer, while my leader has a grenade launcher and flame blast (allowing him to make one of his weapons gain blaze). Between them they managed to get me the win, although both of us were broken and my leader had fled a turn before the final goliath zerker was convinced he could jump a gap and fell to his doom (I got to control him due to insanity, mwahaha).

At one point there were 4 goliaths still on the board (against a similar number of my fighters), and all of the goliaths were insane, with 2 of them also on fire. This stacking of conditions was the only way I could actually get rid of them, as even when my spawn charged a normal ganger he just got clubbed to death.

I was wondering if anyone has found any other really useful powers out there that just allow utility that would be otherwise missing.

Reactions: Psyan

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
So has anyone else found some great utility from the book of outcasts powers?
I've been scouring the chapter. A lot of almost great stuff. But, nothing to die for. So many restrictions that just come close; but no cigar. Yes, using Actions to inflict Insanity is pretty cool. Great story! But, Insanity is pretty random. So, fun, but not reliable. It's mostly all like that in the book. Or, just too situational (what is the obsession with super-short ranged powers?). Do I want Wyrd superpowers? Um, kinda. They didn't give the book away.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Yes, using Actions to inflict Insanity is pretty cool. Great story! But, Insanity is pretty random. So, fun, but not reliable.
I'm not sure I understand this view. Do you like blaze? rad? they only trigger on a 50/50 chance (yes, usually also linked to a slight damage profile but not usually a worth the price of the weapon without those traits by a long shot). Insanity gets you a good result 2/3 times, and makes pieces with it hard to plan for. it is also harder to get rid of than blaze (50/50 for blaze, 1/3 plus a successful WP test for insanity).

If you are in position, a 12" range is pretty good to be ignoring cover, LoS, height etc to be zapping 2 people with it a turn from a nice safe place, which is much harder to get into similar positions with a flamer template, or having to get LoS and deal with cover/rolling to hit etc if its a ranged blaze shot.

Personally I think insanity is just as brutal as blaze and web for its disruption/potential damage (gain control of a brute, it can smash its former friends, or put it on a broken model and watch them dissappear off the board). Web can be more brutal due to being applied in combat with coup de gra, but thats crazy deadly.

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Blah, blah, blah...facts. Now I have to change my Leader, so I can get the Insanity power. Happy now? But, you got to admit, watching a blazing opponent run wild is satisfying.

Actually, I went for the old reliable Genestealer Adept (leading Brood Brothers, er, Hive Scum). Because I'm a GSC guy from 40K Rogue Trader days. And, I like the old school Mind Control which does not have the LOS restriction. But, you didn't hear it from me, and I'll deny it.

Nice post setting me straight.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: spafe and Covenant
Sep 22, 2021
Escher have a chem they can purchase that makes their Nightshade Chemsynth give out insanity. I failed to injure you, which means I didn't pin you, well, you still have to pass this test or go insane. Oh you're insane? Bury your friend - Billie Eilish style. <3

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Why don’t they just go peacefully insane? Like, just sitting quietly watching pansies bloom like madness in the spring?

Reactions: spafe