Schattelgeist - developing a 40k roleplay setting

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I like the idea of the spire having a name of its own. Vigilath is a little too close to ''vigilant'' and I want to maintain a sense of otherness with the placenames, so I think I'll go with Ovligath for the hive in general and Mournagard for the spire.

Anyway, I've had a few ideas which I'll write down here. First, a piece of equipment. I'm thinking rare-ish midgame thing, not something you can start with - anyway:

Killvox system

These small and innocuous-looking voice modulator devices can be used to infuse the bearer's voice with a malevolent arcane energy.

A character with a killvox system can make a special ranged attack using either their Coerce or Charm in place of a Ranged skill. The profile of the attack depends on the skill used - Coerce deals physical damage (imagine ruptured eardrums, mushed organs, fracturing bones...), while Charm deals stun damage and with a critical hit can momentarily mind-control an enemy. Obviously an ideal fit for a more socially inclined class, but no restrictions on usage, so you can totally have a berserker who occasionally screams an enemy to death instead of chopping them to bits.

This leads nicely into the next idea: a potential talent for the Siren class, which basically makes them count as having a killvox system at all times (and if they have the actual kit on top of that, an upgrade to the voice attack roll). Ideally this would be obtainable earlier than the item itself to give the Siren a bit of a perk.

Now, as you've noticed, I'm painting the Siren as a vocal-based class instead of a general artist type. This is mostly because I figured I should try to keep things relatively simple if I've ever to have a hope of finishing this thing. However, I'm thinking I could split the talent tree into roughly two paths, with performative talents (singing, dancing, etc.) talents on the other path and item-crafting talents on the other. In the end it'll probably come down to how much rules wrangling I'm willing to engage in...

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
No new rules ideas to give you, but here's a rough sketch of a Slaaneshi daemon prince/princess/non-person of authority. Possibly NSFW, depending on how your bosses and coworkers feel about crotch mouths with big lolling tongues.

3qSEqVr.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
It's been a busy week again, but I've managed get a little work done on the prince. He/she/they/it have gotten a more natural pose, a swanky crown of horns and a halberd, as well as a little bit of healthy colour to their skin.

vONh5Xx.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Yet more progress on the prince. The head-tongues have progressed beyond the rough sketching stage; I might fine-tune the colour yet. I also decided that the crotch tongue wasn't suggestive enough, so I gave them a crotch-mounted poison stinger to compensate. No sense in half-measures when illustrating the followers of Slaanesh, amirite?

4WJFBiM.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Progress is slow, but it's there. On another forum it was pointed out that the skull face was really khornate, so I tried to take it into a more slaaneshi direction. The jaw-tubes look like s***, I'll have to do something about them.

br9GS3l.jpg

Edit: I decided I'd rather keep working on this instead of sleeping or any of that other mortal nonsense. Added more tubes to the jaw area, which improved it somewhat, and added a bunch of mole rat nipples. I've also decided they'll be called "Mor-Morgorath Nachthax the Narcomatriarch". Taking suggestions for additional titles!

QlHniA2.jpg

Edit2: More progress, but nothing to warrant a new post. Mostly been working on the details as I mentally prepare for the boring stuff ahead, ie. finishing the limbs, skin and making the background look not as crap. After those are done, it's time for fine-tuning and then I'll be able to call this finished - hopefully in time for the weekend, when I've got an art sale.

JVpgKGs.jpg

Edit3: Worked a bit on the background. Still not happy with it, but at least it no longer makes my eyes bleed. Tomorrow I'll try to finish those pesky limbs and maybe even get this whole thing wrapped up.

s3geugU.jpg

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I finally finished the prince last night. Now that I've got my life back - this thing has eaten away majority of my free time - maybe I can concentrate on actually working on the game again...

c9mXsM6.jpg

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
eww... more like “gory”. :eek:

i’d suggest having that as a “true form” like they do business/rule in something more toned down, but when they get excited their “nice” flesh suit explodes off revealing this form.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
Nah! He is intended to be end game, and I get the feeling that the setting makes no misgivings that they are ruled over by a nightmarish monster.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I originally intended this to be just a flavour piece ("work hard and someday your character can look like this!"), but now I've spent so much time on it, I kind of want to have them as an NPC. Maybe the planet could be split between multiple princes in a nominal alliance/truce.

Although I can see daemons, particularly Slaaneshi and Tzeentchian ones, using glamours to hide their true appearance when needed, I don't think they'd feel the need to do it on their home turf. They are the standard to which chaos worshippers aspire to, if anything, pretending to be human would only hurt their standing amongst the nobility of the planet.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
valid points on the glamour, i retract my suggestion!

hmm... based on earlier fluff, i thought the planet itself was a wild, untamed place (chaotic) while the city was the realm of the princes’s and divided by Powers?

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Yep, the hive is a 'civilised' truce zone of sorts, while the rest of the planet consists of invariably inhospitable wastes. I'm still thinking about how I can incorporate multiple princes into the game without making them seem too common.

Maybe the Slaaneshi prince could be the current prince's predecessor as the ruler of the planet? When the current prince usurped them, they were hacked into five pieces, and the pieces were scattered on the moons and placed under seal, with the Narcomatriarch's head being kept as a trophy/slash advisor by the Undivided prince. If the players managed to gather the Matriarch's broken body, they could restore their power and capitalise on the resulting power struggle.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I've seen the models pop up in my Instagram feed (I like the axe guy with a piggybacking daemonette), but nothing beyond that. I'm quite lazy at following official GW channels these days... Anything interesting I should be aware of in there?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, I miss understood the purpose of the slaaneshi prince. I was thinking that that was a new angle, a slanesh prince in the position that requires impartial between the different parties. I was imagining slanesh having special favour in the prince's court and the other 3 powers being jealous and looking to replace it with their own candidates.