Schattelgeist - developing a 40k roleplay setting

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
No need to apologise! I recall reading that daemon princes can mold their daemonworlds as they wish, so if the ruling prince were aligned to a single god the whole world would probably reflect that. Hence, I feel that an Undivided ruler (or a Malal-aligned one!) makes the most sense for divided worlds like Schattelgeist. Still, it's not like that's set in stone - I'm pretty sure a justification could be found for a single-deity prince ruling over a multi-deity world. I think in the end it'll come down to how many different princes I'll illustrate and which one I like the most.

Speaking of illustration... remember when I said I'd concentrate on the actual game instead of doing art for it? Turns out I was lying, but in my defense, when the Dark Prince blesses one with diabolical inspiration... well, who am I to say no? So, I began yet another illustration for a Slaaneshi character, this time a heavyset mortal pit fighter with gnarly claws and a nice shiny killvox modulator.

UYIBYvr.jpg

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Could he be the new prince in town? your adventurers are in a time of change on the world, slanesh is making a move for the throne and your heroes can join, help, hinder, or just try to stay alive in this time of poltical upheaval.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
you could tie it in with the moons as well. whenever a specific moon is dominant, the prince associated with it has more power (figuratively and literally). things would get more interesting as some moons ascend and others decline. and when two are equally dominant, open conflict is imminent. The Prince Undivided (or of Malal) might rule when all the moons are weak?

Maybe the moons have all been in decline for awhile, with only minor fluctuations. enough for prophecies and minor effects for followers, but nothing that could signal regime change.

it could also be possible that the waxing and waning of the moons physically affects the ruling Princes (a council of princes?) and their domains. the current ruling prince is physically bigger, has more magical chaos power to wield, and their portion of the hive swells and grows too. The spires get higher, the walls get stronger, their followers become more numerous. it could also work in reverse: if you attack and damage their domain, their moon can start to decline and the other moon(s) can begin to ascend.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I assure you she'll look more Slaaneshi once cleaned up and coloured. My sketchwork generally makes everything look more dirty than it'll be once finished. I also wanted to break away from the traditional Slaaneshi depiction of dainty, androgynous sex fiends and go for a more of a food-orgies-with-ritual-cannibalism style barbarian. Slaanesh is the god of gluttony among other pleasures, and I'm somewhat sad this rarely shows in official GW art or miniatures.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I always thought Nurgle wasn't "fat" demons, but bloated from rot and disease (Great Unclean Ones), or distended from starvation (plague bearers) because Nurgle covers famine as well (right?). So whatever the demons touch to eat rots away.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah, I figured Nurglites are more bloated from excess gases and liquids than generally fat. Then again, comfort eating seems like a Nurgle thing to do... assuming all that food stays down and doesn't get immediately vomited/diarhea'd/fall out through some random gaping hole. I also like to imagine Nurgle worshippers intentionally gorging on spoiled foodstuffs to contract more blessings from their patron, although that's probably going to have the opposite effect to gaining weight...

Biggle_Bear

Gang Champion
Nov 1, 2017
I assure you she'll look more Slaaneshi once cleaned up and coloured. My sketchwork generally makes everything look more dirty than it'll be once finished. I also wanted to break away from the traditional Slaaneshi depiction of dainty, androgynous sex fiends and go for a more of a food-orgies-with-ritual-cannibalism style barbarian. Slaanesh is the god of gluttony among other pleasures, and I'm somewhat sad this rarely shows in official GW art or miniatures.
That's cool. I love it when the overlooked concepts are explored.

Reactions: HorribleHedgehog

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I think there needs to be a holiday (Unholy Day) for the characters to explore. Something to do with food. Maybe a campaign event takes place during it and the holiday gets in the way or is somehow a centerpiece for the action.

Anyway, it would center around feasting. A day or week that could explore the difference between Powers. Slaanesh would be a food orgy in every sense. Nurgle followers would try to rot everything and gorge on the waste, Khorne would have bloody banquets of raw and bleeding meat, and Tzneetch would have grand samplings of magic-infused delicacies that would change as you ate them.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Oh yes, there'll be feasts and festivals. One I have in mind is Ascension Day feast (taking suggestions for a better name), when the tribes and warlords offer tribute to the ruling prince, as well as honor the gods as givers of immortality to their chosen. The feast will culminate in a series of contests pitting champions of different tribes and factions against each other, with the winner gaining the favour of the gods... well, if their performance pleased their patron, that is.

Before the main contest, there will be a preliminary melee open to the bottom rung of society - even slaves - the winner of which will be allowed to take part in the contest proper. This is done to show that the gods can uplift even the most wretched of souls, as long as their deeds please the powers of chaos sufficiently.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Another minor update. I got the vox looking acceptable and fiddled with the contrast a bit. Also more gore. I feel hesitant tackling any of the actually important stuff for the fear of ruining it all...

QpLzE15.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I finally got around to cleaning up the sketchwork a bit. Also added some details, note the straps holding the chest armour in place. I figured that in true S&M Slaaneshi fashion the armour pieces could have spikes on the inside - running blood will follow.

ci3PNcS.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I've been a little RL busy, but now I'm free with little else than hobby stuff to do for the summer. I've figured I'd try to use this opportunity to actually work on the rules aspect of this thing - shocker, I know.

First I thought I'd revamp EotE's critical injuries chart. Said chart is very forgiving and it takes quite some doing to render a character dead or permanently disadvantaged - fine for the comparatively lighthearted SW universe, but not so much for the unrelenting grimdarkness of 40k. I want my players to fear for their characters' safety when they make those rolls! Some injuries can also inflict insanity points to represent the trauma of combat.

For context: Critical injuries are inflicted when characters cross their wound threshold (ie. run out of HP) and when they are hit with a critical hit. The roll itself is a D100 roll with the number of existing critical injuries multiplied by ten added to the result (example: a character with two existing critical injuries would roll D100 and add 20 to the result). Critical injuries can be healed outside of combat with a medicine check, the difficulty of which depends on the severity of the injury (Note that injuries that have temporary effects still count towards the total of injuries until they are healed - a character who suffers the result "a head ringer", for example, still has the injury even after the encounter has been finished and the immediate effects have ended). Without further blathering, my grimdarked injury chart:

CRITICAL INJURY RESULT

01-05 - Severity: Easy - Close call: The target suffers 3 strain.

06-10 - Severity: Easy - Sudden Jolt: The target drops whatever they're holding (both hands).

11-15 - Severity: Easy - Stunned: The target is staggered until the end of his next turn.

16-20 - Severity: Easy - Head Ringer: The target increases the difficulty of all Intellect and Cunning checks by one until the end of the encounter.

21-25 - Severity: Easy - Agonizing Wound: The target increases the difficulty of all Brawn and Agility checks by one until the end of the encounter.

26-30 - Severity: Easy - Shellshocked: The target suffers 1d6 insanity points.

31-35 - Severity: Average - Scattered Senses: The target removes all Boost dice from skill checks until this Critical Injury is healed.

36-40 - Severity: Average - Overpowered: The target leaves himself open, and the attacker may immediately attempt another free attack against them, using the exact same dice pool as the original attack.

41-45 - Severity: Average - Compromised: Increase difficulty of all skill checks by one until the end of the encounter.

46-50 - Severity: Average - At the Brink: The target suffers 1 strain each time he performs an action until the end of the encounter.

51-55 - Severity: Average - Crippled: One of the target's limbs (selected by the GM) is crippled until healed or replaced. Increase difficulty of all checks that require use of that limb by one.

56-60 - Severity: Average - Traumatized: The target suffers 2d6 insanity points.

61-65 - Severity: Average - Shameful reaction: The target loses one Godly favour point.

66-70 - Severity: Hard - Bleeding Out: Every round, the target suffers 1 wound and 1 strain at the beginning of his turn. For every five wounds he suffers beyond his wound threshold, he suffers one additional Critical Injury. Roll on the chart, suffering the injury (if he suffers this result a second time due to this, roll again).

71-75 - Severity: Hard - Blinded in one eye: The target loses an eye. Upgrade the difficulty of all Ranged, Gunnery, Perception, and Vigilance skill checks once. This effect stays until the eye is replaced with a bionic eye or an appropriate mutation or is regenerated. If the target is reduced to zero functioning eyes, this injury is upgraded to 116-120 - Blinded.

76-80 - Severity: Hard - Horrific Injury: Randomly roll 1 d 10 to determine one of the target's characteristics— 1 -3 for Brawn. 4-6 for Agility, 7 for Intellect, 8 for Cunning, 9 for Presence, 10 for Willpower. Until this Critical Injury is healed, treat that characteristic as one point lower.

81-85 - Severity: Hard - Temporarily Lame: Until this Critical Injury is healed, the target cannot perform more than one maneuver during his turn.

86-90 - Severity: Hard - Knocked Senseless: The target is staggered for the remainder of the encounter. In addition, they suffer 1d3 insanity points.

91-95 - Severity: Hard - Mentally scarred: The target suffers 2d6 + 3 insanity points.

96-100 - Severity: Hard - Disgraceful reaction: The target loses all of their godly favour points.

101-105 - Severity: Daunting - Arterial spray: Every round, the target suffers 3 wound and 3 strain at the beginning of his turn. For every five wounds he suffers beyond his wound threshold, he suffers one additional Critical Injury. Roll on the chart, suffering the injury (if he suffers this result a second time due to this, roll again).

106-110 - Severity: Daunting - Maimed: One of the target's limbs (selected by the GM) is permanently lost. The target cannot perform actions that would require the use of that limb. All other actions gain a setback die. This effect stays until the limb is replaced with a bionic limb or an appropriate mutation or is regenerated.

111-115 - Severity: Daunting - Gruesome Injury: Randomly roll 1 d 10 to determine one of the target's characteristics— 1 -3 for Brawn. 4-6 for Agility, 7 for Intellect, 8 for Cunning, 9 for Presence, 10 for Willpower. That characteristic is permanently reduced by one, to a minimum of one.

116-120 - Severity: Daunting - Blinded: The target can no longer see. Upgrade the difficulty of all checks twice. Upgrade the difficulty of Ranged, Gunnery, Perception and Vigilance checks three times. If the target later gains a bionic eye, gains an eye through mutation, or regenerates an eye, this injury is downgraded to 71-75 - Blinded in one eye

121-125 - Severity: Daunting - Multiple injuries:
The target must roll 3 times on this chart and apply all results. These rolls are subject to modifiers from existing injuries, but not this one (ie. if the target had two crtitical injuries prior to rolling this injury, they would roll on this chart three times and add 20 to the result of every roll).

126-130 - Severity: Daunting - Shattered mind: The target suffers 2d6 + 6 insanity points and reduces their Willpower score by one, to a minimum of one.

131-135 - Severity: Daunting - Broken body: The target's Wound Threshold is permanently reduced by one third (rounding fractions up). For example, if the target had a WT of 14 when they rolled this injury, their wound threshold would be reduced to 10.

136-140 - Severity: Daunting - The End is Nigh: The target will die after their next turn or at the end of the encounter, whichever comes first. However, they can ignore the effects of all non-permanent injuries until then, and act even if they have crossed their wound threshold.

141+ Death

... And there you have it. As you can see, most of the really nasty, permanent-barring-bionics-or-chaos-buggery results are reserved for rolls over 100, so your character won't be crippled for life on the first injury roll, but it should be nasty enough that people really don't want to be rolling on it any more than necessary. Anyway, what do you think? Too tame, too nasty?

Last edited:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Depends how brutal combat is meant to be and how easy it is to heal up afterwards. If it's easy enough to heal, this guys will go forever as they are unlikely to enter combat too hurt, so need to get 4 or more crit injuries before death can even occur, let alone be likely. That said, I'm not sure how long their hp last in combat either.

I like the chat though in terms of variety of injuries

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Healing attempts are capped at one per in-game week for each critical injury, so injuries piling up is a real possibility when the party can't just spend weeks or months to heal up.

As for the difficulty of healing, a skilled medic with the appropriate equiptment can handle Easy and Average healing checks easily enough, but the prospects start getting dicey at Hard and above. However, one thing to keep in mind: HP recovery on healing is minimal, even for a good medic, thus it's very likely that characters enter combat already hurt.

One thing that will certainly have a huge effect on the brutality of combat is equipment, so I'll have to start working on some weapon and armour stats to get a proper idea of how long characters will last in combat.

Changing the subject, I spent the last night thinking about the currency of Schattelgeist. Credits feel too sci-fi for a setting where the majority of people are barbarians who worship magic emotion gods. Hence, the people of Schattelgeist trade in runic tokens, the size and material of which determines their worth. The basic tokens, commonly called runes or marks, are made of bone and and are about the size of a coin; then there are biscuit-sized wooden runes, which are worth ten bone runes a piece, and adamantium tokens, which are yeat larger and worth 100 bone runes.

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Still working on the pitfighter... I decided to try some Blanchesque sketchy linework, though obviously it's nowhere near comparable to the work of the maestro himself. Still feel like I need to scruff it up a lot. Also need to work on the blood, and finally do something about the corpse (I admit I've been avoiding that thing like the plague) at her feet and the gimp in the background. Digital art brings out the worst in my perfectionist habits, I'm afraid.

DlRFL7k.jpg