Schattelgeist - developing a 40k roleplay setting

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
One thing that will certainly have a huge effect on the brutality of combat is equipment, so I'll have to start working on some weapon and armour stats to get a proper idea of how long characters will last in combat.
Speaking of which, I wrote up some stats for basic weapons. This is not an exhaustive list and will probably be expanded in the future.

Quick lowdown on what the stats mean:

Damage: Self-explanatory, though it should be noted that the amount of success symbols rolled during the attack is added to this score, so weapons can greatly exceed their damage value in the hands of a skilled user.
Critical: How many advantage symbols need to be rolled to score a critical hit.
Range: Maximum range band at which the weapon can be used. There are five range bands: Engaged (close combat), Short (a few meters, across a small room), Medium (several dozen meters), Long (within shouting distance), Extreme (barely visible).
Encumbrance: The weight of the weapon and assorted items (magazines, quivers, etc.).
HP (Hard points): How many weapon mods can be applied to the weapon. Some mods require more than one hard point.
Price: The standard market price of a weapon. (R) means the weapon is restricted and is always treated as a black market item for the purposes of determining availability. For context, all players start with 500 runes, but can increase that amount by up to 3500 by taking on more Obligation, which is basically a mechanic to make life difficult for the PCs.
Rarity: How easily the weapon can be found in a given market. This score is subject to modifiers based on the players current location.
Special: any special rules or qualities. Farther down this post I've explained some of the special rules used in this list of weapons.

Pistols & other light ranged weapons (governing skill: Ranged - light)

Javelin - Damage: 5 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 2 HP: 0 Price: 25 runes Rarity: 1 Special: Limited 1*. Used javelins can be recovered after combat, unless the PCs fled the scene or otherwise can't access the thrown javelins.

Holdout stub gun - Damage: 6 Critical: 4 Range: short Encumbrance: 1 HP: 1 Price: 250 runes Rarity: 4 Special: add 1 setback die when trying to locate this weapon on a person

Stub Gun - Damage: 7 Critical: 4 Range: medium Encumbrance: 1 HP: 3 Price: 400 runes Rarity: 3 Special: -

Autopistol - Damage: 6 Critical: 4 Range: medium Encumbrance: 1 HP: 3 Price: 450 runes Rarity: 4 Special: Autofire**

Laspistol - Damage:
7 Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 1 HP: 3 Price: 550 runes Rarity: 4 Special: this weapon can never suffer a Major malfuction - all malfunctions are either Minor or Moderate

Hand Cannon - Damage: 9 Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 2 HP: 2 Price: 800 runes Rarity: 5 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo

Hellpistol - Damage: 8 Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 3 HP: 3 Price: (R) 900 runes Rarity: 6 Special: Autofire**, Pierce 2***

Bolt pistol - Damage: 11 Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 2 HP: 2 Price: (R) 1000 runes Rarity: 6 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo. This weapon can never suffer a Minor malfunction - all malfunctions are either Major or Moderate. Vicious 2****.

Basic weapons (governing skill: Ranged - heavy)

Bow - Damage: 5 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 3 HP: 0 Price: 200 runes Rarity: 1 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo.

Crossbow - Damage: 7 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 5 HP: 1 Price: 400 runes Rarity: 3 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo.

Sawn-off shotgun - Damage: 10 Critical: 4 Range: medium Encumbrance: 3 HP: 2 Price: 800 runes Rarity: 4 Special: Inaccurate*****. Can fire buckshot instead of standard slug. Switching shot costs one manouever. Buckshot is damage 6, Blast 1******, and ignores any modifiers for the target being in cover, and is otherwise identical to slug. Can be used one-handed, in which case it uses the Ranged - Light skill and gains Cumbersome 4*******.

Autogun - Damage: 7 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 4 HP: 4 Price: 800 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Autofire**

Lasgun - Damage: 9 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 4 HP: 4 Price: 900 runes Rarity: 2 Special: this weapon can never suffer a Major malfuction - all malfunctions are either Minor or Moderate

Shotgun - Damage: 11 Critical: 4 Range: medium Encumbrance: 4 HP: 3 Price: 950 runes Rarity: 4 Special: Can fire buckshot instead of standard slug. Switching shot costs one manouever. Buckshot is damage 6, Blast 1******, and ignores any modifiers for the target being in cover, and is otherwise identical to slug.

Long-las - Damage: 10 Critical: 2 Range: extreme Encumbrance: 6 HP: 4 Price: 1250 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Accurate******** at ranges Long and Extreme, Inaccurate***** at short range.

Assault shotgun - Damage: 10 Critical: 4 Range: medium Encumbrance: 5 HP: 3 Price: 1400 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Autofire, Cumbersome 3*******. Can fire buckshot instead of standard slug. Switching shot costs one manouever. Buckshot is damage 6, Blast 1******, and ignores any modifiers for the target being in cover, and is otherwise identical to slug.

Hellgun - Damage: 10 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 7 HP: 4 Price: (R) 1750 runes Rarity: 6 Special: Autofire**, Pierce 3***

Boltgun - Damage: 14 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 5 HP: 3 Price: (R) 2000 runes Rarity: 6 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo. This weapon can never suffer a Minor malfunction - all malfunctions are either Major or Moderate. Vicious 3****, Cumbersome 3*******.

Special rule explanations:

* Limited: The weapon has a limited supply of ammunition that has to be replenished after being used.
** Autofire: The weapon can be fired on full auto, which makes the attack roll more difficult but makes additional hits possible.
*** Pierce: The weapon ignores a point of Soak for every rank of Pierce.
**** Vicious: When the weapon causes a Critical Injury, the rank of Vicious x10 is added to the Critical Injury roll (example: a boltgun with Vicious 3 would add +30 to Critical Injury rolls).
***** Inaccurate: Adds a Setback die to all attack rolls.
****** Blast: Has a change of damaging all characters that are engaged with the target for amount of damage equal to Blast ranks + amount of success symbols (for example, if a character fires at an enemy surrounded by three others and succeeds by 3, if blast activates (dependant on rolling two advantage symbols), the three surrounding enemies suffer 4 damage each.
******* Cumbersome: Requires the wielding character to have Brawn rating equal or higher than Cumbersome rank, or the difficulty of the attack roll is upgraded.
******** Accurate: Adds a Boost die to all attack rolls.

Whew. Never using apostrophes again.

Obviously still need to make up some stats for melee, special and heavy weapons, and all the other gear, of course. But I think that's a good start. I realise it's difficult to comment on rules for systems you're not familiar with, but feedback is still welcome - do you spot any glaring oversights or omissions? What other weapons do you think I should include in the game?

Edit: decided to do some melee weapons too while I'm at it.

Brawling weapons (governing skill: Brawl)

Bladed gauntlet - Damage: 2 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 1 HP: 0 Price: 100 runes Rarity: 1 Special: -

Servo claw - Damage: 12 Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 6 HP: 0 Price: 800 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Concussive 1**, Inaccurate, Cumbersome 3, Knockdown***. Equipping and unequipping a servo claw requires an action, instead of a manouever. While a servo claw is equipped, the wearer cannot perform any actions that would require two hands.

Power fist - Damage: 18 Critical: 2 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 6 HP: 0 Price: (R) 2500 runes Rarity: 8 Special: Breach 1*, Vicious 5, Concussive 1**, Inaccurate, Cumbersome 4, Knockdown***. Equipping and unequipping a power fist requires an action, instead of a manouever. While a power fist is equipped, the wearer cannot perform any actions that would require two hands.

Chainfist - Damage: 18 Critical: 2 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 7 HP: 0 Price: (R) 3000 runes Rarity: 8 Special: Breach 2*, Vicious 5, Concussive 1**, Inaccurate, Cumbersome 4, Knockdown***. Equipping and unequipping a chainfist requires an action, instead of a manouever. While a chainfist is equipped, the wearer cannot perform any actions that would require two hands.

Lightning claw - Damage: 11 Critical: 2 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 6 HP: 0 Price: (R) 2100 runes Rarity: 8 Special: Pierce 7, Vicious 6, Cumbersome 4. Equipping and unequipping a lighning claw uses 2 manouevers instead of one. While a lighning claw is equipped, the wearer cannot perform any actions that would require two hands.

Basic melee weapons (governing skill: Melee)

Combat knife - Damage: 1 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 1 HP: 0 Price: 25 runes Rarity: 1 Special: -

Dagger - Damage: 1 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 1 HP: 0 Price: 100 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Pierce 2

Sword - Damage: 2 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 2 HP: 2 Price: 200 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Defensive 1****

Spear - Damage: 2 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 3 HP: 2 Price: 150 runes Rarity: 1 Special: Pierce 2

Axe - Damage: 3 + Brawn Critical: 4 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 2 HP: 2 Price: 200 runes Rarity: 1 Special: Vicious 1

Mace - Damage: 3 + Brawn Critical: 4 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 3 HP: 2 Price: 200 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Disorient 1*****, Cumbersome 2

Greatsword - Damage: 6 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 5 HP: 2 Price: 300 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Defensive 1****, Vicious 1, Cumbersome 3, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, the Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 5.

Greataxe - Damage: 8 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 6 HP: 2 Price: 300 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Vicious 2, Cumbersome 3, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 5.

Glaive - Damage: 5 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 5 HP: 2 Price: 300 runes Rarity: 2 Special: Pierce 1, Vicious 1, Cumbersome 2, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 4.

Warhammer - Damage: 10 + Brawn Critical: 4 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 10 HP: 2 Price: 400 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Disorient 3*****, Inaccurate, Knockdown***, Cumbersome 3, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 6.

Addendum: All of the above melee weapons can also be found as power weapons. Power weapons add the following modifications to a weapon's profile: 4 damage, 1 Encumbrance, 4 Rarity, Special: Pierce 5, Vicious 1. A power weapon's price is four times the original weapon's price + 400 runes. Power weapons are always Restricted for purposes of determining availability. For example, a power dagger would have the following profile:

Power dagger - Damage: 5 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 2 HP: 0 Price: (R)800 runes Rarity: 6 Special: Pierce 7, Vicious 1

Chain weapons (governing skill: Melee)

Chainsword - Damage: 4 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 3 HP: 2 Price: 700 runes Rarity: 4 Special: Defensive 1****, Vicious 1, Cumbersome 2

Chainaxe - Damage: 6 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 4 HP: 2 Price: 900 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Cumbersome 3, Vicious 2

Chainglaive - Damage: 7 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 6 HP: 2 Price: 1200 runes Rarity: 6 Special: Pierce 2, Vicious 2, Cumbersome 3, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 5.

Eviscerator - Damage: 8 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 7 HP: 2 Price: 1500 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Defensive 1****, Vicious 3, Cumbersome 3, Two-handed - if wielded in one hand, the Cumbersome rating is upgraded to 5.

Other melee weapons (governing skill: Melee)

Shock maul - Damage: 6 Critical: 4 Range: engaged Encumbrance: 3 HP: 2 Price: 400 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Disorient 3*****, Stun damage*******, Cumbersome 2, Pierce 3

Shock whip - Damage: 5 Critical: 3 Range: short Encumbrance: 2 HP: 0 Price: 350 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Stun damage*******, Pierce 3

So, the special rules I've yet to explain:

* Breach: Ignores one point of vehicle's Armour or 10 points of Soak for every point of Breach.
** Concussive: Can stagger enemies for 1 round per point of Concussive. Staggered actions cannot perform actions (like attacking) but can perform manouevers (like moving or switching weapons).
*** Knockdown: Can knock targets prone. Prone targets are more difficult to hit with ranged weapons but easier to hit in melee.
**** Defensive: Adds the rank of Defensive to the target's defense score in close combat.
***** Disorient: Can disorient targets for 1 round per Disorient score. Disoriented targets add a Setback die to all checks they have to make.
****** Stun damage: Deals damage to Strain instead of Wounds, ie. it knocks people unconscious.

That's all I can think of right now - I could do with more low- and midrange brawling weapons. Ideas?

Edit2: How's the Orlock servo claw statted compared to, say, a power fist? I figure something like that could make for a good midrange brawling weapon.

Edit3: Added shock whip to other melee weapons.

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I've been thinking about how to bring the player characters together at the start of a campaign. What reason would a bunch of disciples of rival gods have for sticking together? I figured it'd be best to have some suggestions on hand in case the players have difficulty coming up with a reason to adventure together.

MISSION: The PCs have been assigned an important mission from some warlord or the other, and are honour-bound to see it to its conclusion.

TRIBE: The players all hail from the same Undivided waster tribe. The once-proud tribe has fallen on hard times and is threatened by enemies from within and without. The chieftain has decided to send their best and brightest on a desperate quest to save the tribe.

ESCAPE: The PCs are escaped slaves bound together by trial and hardship, looking to evade their pursuers and make something for themselves.

DEAL WITH THE DEVIL: The PCs have all made a pact they can't escape from, forced to do the bidding of their dark master lest their souls be forfeit.

PROPHECY: The PCs have been brought together by dream-visions of a great artefact that would see them achieve great favour with the chaos gods - on the stipulation that they work together to find it. What happens afterwards is anyone's guess...

MERCENARIES AND GLORY-SEEKERS: The PCs care little of the politics of the land and are united in their pursuit of fortune and personal glory.

Anything else you can think of?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
VENGEANCE: the pcs are members of small tribes (rivals and/or allies) that have been devastated by a larger force and have bound together to avenge their fallen.

SURVIVORS: an unnatural disaster has laid waste to their homelands, undoubtably caused by the power struggles in the Hive. The PC’s have to band together to survive.

Reactions: HorribleHedgehog

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
SHANGHAID: abducted as juvies to serve aboard an airship/starship/land ship, the PC’s subversively join rival powers to escape and return home (or maybe commandeer the vessel and become pirates?) Or maybe they did this already, and start out as pirates.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Ooh, great ideas! Vengeance in particular fits this RPG to a T.

The shanghai'd one is a bit tricky, as I've planned on keeping things planetbound at least to start with, to avoid overwhelming my (40k-newbie) gaming group with information. Then again, could be they've just spent all their time toiling in the guts of the vessel, largely oblivious to any going-ons outside the ship. Actually, a millennia-old, mile-wide, warp-infested starship would make for a great campaign setting... I'll have to give this some more consideration!

Edit: How about a hellish Dark Mechanicus manufactorum instead of a starship?

Edit2: Nah, doesn't really have the romance of a ancient, near-sentient spaceship to it. Now I really want to run a survival horror campaign set in the depths of an ancient chaos vessel...

Last edited:
Reactions: Punktaku

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
that’s the great thing about RPG’s. pick your setting!

The PC’s could spend their entire lives inside the ship (wherever it is) and not even know theirs an outside world until the get dumped into it (a bit like Gurren Laagen)

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I've hit a snag in regards to the pitfighter illustration - as I currently don't have access to my school's computers with their nice big monitors, I've discovered that my laptop and its paltry 8 gigs of RAM can't really handle large files in Photoshop. Really irks me to have to shelve a piece so close to completion, but I'll get back to it this autumn.

I wrote up some more weapon stats. Again, I realize this isn't of much use to folks unfamiliar with the EotE system, but I'm gonna dump it here anyway because I'm bad at organizing and it feels easier to just put everything here. Now, I could maybe provide a PDF of the EotE rulebook for anyone who PMs me, but obviously won't do so because that'd be breaking some law and I most definitely don't break no laws, no sir! So don't PM me about it if you're interested.

Special weapons (governing skill: Ranged - heavy)

Storm bolter - Damage: 14 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 8 HP: 3 Price: (R) 2500 runes Rarity: 6 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo. This weapon can never suffer a Minor malfunction - all malfunctions are either Major or Moderate. Vicious 3, Cumbersome 4, Autofire, Inaccurate

Flamer - Damage: 8 Critical: 3 Range: short Encumbrance: 6 HP: 2 Price: 1000 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Burn 3*, Blast 8

Meltagun - Damage: 22 Critical: 2 Range: short Encumbrance: 6 HP: 2 Price: (R) 3000 runes Rarity: 6 Special: Breach 3, Vicious 7

Plasma gun - Damage: 14 Critical: 2 Range: medium Encumbrance: 6 HP: 2 Price: (R) 2600 runes Rarity: 7 Special: Pierce 5, Vicious 4. Can be fired at maximum power setting instead of standard setting. When fired on maximum power it's Damage 17, Pierce 8, Vicious 6, Range: long, Slow-firing 1, and otherwise identical to standard setting. When fired on maximum power, the GM can use three Threat or one Despair result to inflict the attack on the wielder instead of the target.

Ripper gun - Damage: 10 Critical: 3 Range: medium Encumbrance: 8 HP: 2 Price: 1400 runes Rarity: 5 Special: Autofire, Cumbersome 4, Blast 3

Grenade launcher (frag) - Damage: 9 Critical: 4 Range: long Encumbrance: 7 HP: 2 Price: 1600 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Blast 8. Grenade launchers are assumed to have a supply of frag grenades as standard. Grenade launchers can also be used to fire any other sort of grenades, though these must be purchased separately. A grenade fired from grenade launcher retains its original profile, but its range becomes long.

*Burn: causes the target to suffer the weapon's base damage for a number of rounds equal to weapon's Burn rating.
**Slow-firing: After firing, a weapon with this trait has to be cooled down for amount of rounds equal to Slow-firing rating.

Heavy weapons (governing skill: Gunnery)

Heavy stubber - Damage: 12 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 10 HP: 3 Price: 1800 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Autofire, Cumbersome 4, Prepare 1*, Vicious 2

Heavy bolter - Damage: 17 Critical: 3 Range: long Encumbrance: 11 HP: 3 Price: (R) 3000 runes Rarity: 7 Special: GM can use three Threat or one Despair result on a ranged check made with this weapon to force it to run out of ammo. This weapon can never suffer a Minor malfunction - all malfunctions are either Major or Moderate. Autofire, Cumbersome 4, Prepare 1*, Vicious 5

Heavy flamer - Damage: 12 Critical: 2 Range: short Encumbrance: 9 HP: 2 Price: 1500 runes Rarity: 3 Special: Cumbersome 3, Burn 4, Blast 12, Prepare 1*, Vicious 3

Plasma cannon - Damage: 20 Critical: 2 Range: medium Encumbrance: 12 HP: 2 Price: (R) 4000 runes Rarity: 9 Special: Cumbersome 4, Pierce 8, Vicious 5, Blast 10, Prepare 1*, Slow-firing 1. Can be fired at maximum power setting instead of standard setting. When fired on maximum power it's Damage 24, Pierce 12, Vicious 8, Blast 16, Range: long, Slow-firing 2, and otherwise identical to standard setting. When fired on maximum power, the GM can use three Threat or one Despair result to inflict the attack on the wielder instead of the target.

Multi-melta - Damage: 30 Critical: 1 Range: short Encumbrance: 11 HP: 2 Price: (R) 3600 runes Rarity: 7 Special: Cumbersome 4, Breach 5, Vicious 10, Prepare 1*, Slow-firing 1

Lascannon - Damage: 18 Critical: 2 Range: extreme Encumbrance: 12 HP: 3 Price: 2600 runes Rarity: 4 Special: this weapon can never suffer a Major malfuction - all malfunctions are either Minor or Moderate. Breach 3, Vicious 4, Prepare 1*, Slow-firing 1.

*Prepare: A number of preparation manouevers equal to this weapon's Prepare rating are required before it can be fired.

Still a lot of weapons to stat, and grenades, and armor, and every other piece of equipment out there, but it's a good start. I do wonder if I've allowed some power creep to happen; These weapons are pretty devastating when compared to ones available in EotE. Then again, being hit with a multi-melta blast should be supremely ugly.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
things like multi melta and lascannons should probably be instakill unless you’re a tank or in terminator armor... but that’s always been a gut feeling about weapons like that

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
True, but it's difficult trying to balance things that should vaporise most of everything the PCs are likely to come across. Maybe some of the heftier guns ought to have the Slow-firing trait, which basically means they need to cool down for a set number of rounds between shots - better make those shots count when facing a horde.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Right-o, added Slow-firing 1 to plasma gun at maximum power, plasma cannon at base power, lascannon and multi-melta, and Slow-firing 2 to plasma cannon at maximum power. Hopefully that'll prevent them from being too overpowered. I also added servo claw to brawling weapons.

Now that I've got the rough layout of weapons (plasma pistol, missile launcher, hand flamer, autocannon and grenades and other explosives are the only obvious omission that spring to my mind right now), I thought I'd get cracking on armour. Quick lowdown on stats: Defense generates setback dice on enemy attack rolls, thus making the character harder to hit. Soak value is a flat reduction to damage. The rest is as with weapons, with one difference: the encumbrance rating of armours decreases by 3 when worn.

Note that characters have a base Soak value based on their Brawn rating; thus, a Brawn 6 Chaos space marine wearing a suit of Terminator armour would have a Soak value of 20. Better have those big guns handy if you ever run into one.

Primitive armour - Defense: 0 Soak value: 1 Price: 50 runes Encumbrance: 1 HP: 0 Rarity: 0 Special: -

Flak armour - Defense: 0 Soak value: 2 Price: 300 runes Encumbrance: 4 HP: 0 Rarity: 1 Special: Flak armour counts as having a soak value of 4 against any hits caused by Blast weapon quality. Note that this does not apply to the character hit with a Blast weapon; only the characters engaged with the target of the attack itself.

Mesh armour - Defense: 0 Soak value: 3 Price: 500 runes Encumbrance: 3 HP: 0 Rarity: 4 Special: -

Carapace armour - Defense: 0 Soak value: 4 Price: 1000 runes Encumbrance: 7 HP: 3 Rarity: 4 Special: While wearing Carapace armour, the character suffers 1 setback die to all Stealth and Coordination skill checks.

Reinforced carapace armour - Defense:
0 Soak value: 5 Price: 1200 runes Encumbrance: 9 HP: 3 Rarity: 5 Special: While wearing Reinforced carapace armour, the character suffers 2 setback dice to all Stealth and Coordination skill checks, and 1 setback die to all Athletics skill checks.

Power armour - Defense:
0 Soak value: 9 Price: (R) 3000 runes Encumbrance: 10 HP: 3 Rarity: 8 Special: While wearing Power armour, the character's Brawn rating counts as being one point higher when rolling skill checks. In addition, a character wearing power armour always adds 2 setback dice to all Stealth rolls.

Astartes power armour - Defense: 0 Soak value: 10 Price: (R) 10000 runes Encumbrance: 12 HP: 4 Rarity: 10 Special: While wearing Astartes power armour, the character's Brawn rating counts as being one point higher for purposes of skill checks. An Astartes power armour can only be worn by space marines.

Terminator armour - Defense: 1 Soak value: 14 Price: (R) 30000 runes Encumbrance: 20 HP: 4 Rarity: 10 Special: While wearing Terminator Armour, the character's Brawn rating counts as being two points higher and their Agility counts as being two points lower for purposes of skill checks. Terminator armour can only be worn by space marines.

If you're wondering why I've been stingy with Defense scores, it's because I figured that's best saved for refractor fields and storm shields and other energy-field generating bits that will be found as miscellaneous equipment or armor mods.

Any ideas for specialized armour suits I should include, or possible armour modifications?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
can’t have a Demon world without demon armor! maybe have a version for each type, and it can grow/evolve as the PC’s gain power? in the old fluff, it’s just armor that a demon moves into and bonds to the wearers flesh. so, say, a PC has mesh, then gets gifted with Demon armor. now they have demonic mesh. it would suck to be stuck with that forever, so maybe as the PC’s level up, the demonic mesh could evolve and harden into demonic carapace.

maybe some sort of runic or spirit armor for magic users? especially if they follow Tzneetch. Sigil Armor?

1 comments

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
add-ons could include jump packs (havoc suits?) or wings (demon armor), weapon systems, life support, tactical trackers, defensive seals, auras, demonic gifts (collar of khorne), blades and spikes, etc.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Yes! Daemonically possessed armour will be a thing, probably as a special armour mod that can be crafted by the Heretek at higher levels and doesn't require hardpoints to add. I'll explore this in more detail when I get to equipment mods - my rough idea is for five different base mods (one for each god and one undivided) that can be upgraded over time.

Runic armour is just the thing that was missing from the base list of armours. Maybe something like this...

Sorcerer's garb - Defense: 1 Soak value: 1 Price: 600 runes Encumbrance: 2 HP: 3 Rarity: 4 Special: [Placeholder: something that makes using psychic powers easier or protects against psychic backlash. I'll have to get back to this one after I've given the psychic rules some thought]

As you'll note I've decided to give this one a defense rating, representing it granting the wearer improbable luck or deflecting attacks that it clearly shouldn't. Magic!

Edit: I figured the armour could use a heavier version as well, thus I rechristened the original take as "Sorcerer's garb" and here's the runic armour itself, take two:

Runic armour - Defense: 1 Soak value: 2 Price: 1000 runes Encumbrance: 4 HP: 3 Rarity: 6 Special: [Placeholder: something that makes using psychic powers easier or protects against psychic backlash. I'll have to get back to this one after I've given the psychic rules some thought]

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I avoid Nurgle stuff like the plague
Ba dum tish.

I have the old Chaos hardbacks somewhere. they're loaded with fluff.
Here are Scribd copies of both [I own the originals in hardback, so I agree they are invaluable]:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
all you need is to have a Sensei arise on this planet

1 comments
  • Haha
Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
My favourite bit was the undead chaos champions still serving in the warbands. My Tzeentch warband went through two champions who died before becoming Spawn (or, really, competent), but somehow both made the rolls and became undead.

Mind you, both had been wizards (Tzeentch).

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Oo-kay. Now that weaponry and armours are (mostly) sorted, it's time to tackle basic equipment. This will be slightly less rules-heavy and more descriptive, as a lot of these items are more about roleplay and storytelling than dice-chucking.

Communications

Vox-caster (personal)
- Price: 25 runes Encumbrance: 0 Rarity: 0 Effects: Can be used to contact other vox units at ranges of up to 100 km.

Vox-caster (platoon) - Price: 200 runes Encumbrance: 3 Rarity: 1 Effects: Can be used to contact other vox units at ranges of up to 1000 km.

Master-vox - Price: 500 runes Encumbrance: 5 Rarity: 4 Effects: Can be used to contact other vox units across the planet's surface and up to high orbit.

Medical

Herbal remedy pouch - Price:
50 runes Encumbrance: 0 Rarity: 0 Effects: Adds one Boost die to all healing attempts.

Emergency medpack - Price: 100 runes Encumbrance: 1 Rarity: 2 Effects: Allows the user to make healing attempts without penalty for lacking proper tools.

Military-grade medpack - Price: 400 runes Encumbrance: 2 Rarity: 3 Effects: Allows the user to make healing attempts without penalty for lacking proper tools and adds one Boost die to all healing attempts. In addition, a character with an access to a medpack gains one Boost die when attempting to craft poisons or drugs.

Portable chirurgeon suite - Price: (R) 1200 runes Encumbrance: 7 Rarity: 7 Effects: Allows the user to make healing attempts without penalty for lacking proper tools, adds one boost die to all healing attempts, and reduces the difficulty of all healing attempts by one level (ie. a Hard check becomes an Average one and so on). In addition, a character with an access to a Portable chirurgeon suite gains two Boost dice when attempting to craft poisons or drugs.

Bionics

Primitive bionic replacement limb - Price: 1000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 4 Effects: Replaces a limb lost due to the Maimed Critical Injury result. The character still gains a setback die to all checks relating to the replaced limb due to the bionic's low quality.

Primitive bionic eye - Price: 1500 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 5 Effects: Replaces one eye lost due to a Blinded in one eye or Blinded Critical Injury, ie. it removes the Blinded in one eye injury entirely or dowgrades Blinded to Blinded in one eye.

High-grade bionic replacement limb - Price:
4000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 6 Effects: Replaces a limb lost due to the Maimed Critical Injury result. Increases the character's Wound Threshold by one - this bonus stacks with multiple replacement limbs.

High-grade bionic eye - Price: 6000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 7 Effects: Replaces one eye lost due to a Blinded in one eye or Blinded Critical Injury, ie. it removes the Blinded in one eye injury entirely or dowgrades Blinded to Blinded in one eye. Grants the wearer one Boost die to all Perception and Vigilance checks - note that this bonus does not stack with multiple bionic eyes. If a character has multiple different bionic eyes, the PC can choose which bonus they use.

Superior bionic replacement limb - Price: (R) 8000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 8 Effects: Replaces a limb lost due to the Maimed Critical Injury result. Increases the character's Wound Threshold by one - this bonus stacks with multiple replacement limbs. Also grants the following bonus depending on the limb that is replaced:

Arm: Adds a boost die to all Brawl and Melee checks. This bonus stack with multiple replacement limbs.
Leg: Adds a boost die to all Athletics and Coordination checks. This bonus stacks with multiple replacement limbs.

Superior bionic eye - Price: (R) 8000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 8 Effects: Replaces one eye lost due to a Blinded in one eye or Blinded Critical Injury, ie. it removes the Blinded in one eye injury entirely or dowgrades Blinded to Blinded in one eye. Grants the wearer one Boost die to all Perception, Vigilance, Ranged and Gunnery checks - note that this bonus does not stack with multiple bionic eyes. If a character has multiple different bionic eyes, the PC can choose which bonus they use.

Butcher's nails - Price: (R) 4000 runes Encumbrance: - Rarity: 6 Effects: The character's close combat attacks deal 1 additional point of damage and gain Vicious 3. This bonus stacks with weapon profiles, so an Eviscerator used by a character with Butcher's nails would count as being DMG 9 + Brawn and Vicious 6. A character with Butcher's nails must upgrade the difficulty of all Charm, Negotiate, Cool, Discipline and Perception checks once.

Still a lot of stuff missing, but it's a start. I'll update this post as I keep adding stuff.

One thing to note: I haven't ported over stimpacks from EotE (as you can probably guess, they're quick mid-battle heals a la Fallout), as I feel they don't really fit the setting. This is yet another thing that'll reduce the survivability of PCs. However, there'll be some psychic powers with healing properties (if you're willing to risk warpy nastiness, of course) and drugs that allow PCs to temporarily ignore being taken over their Wound Threshold. Still, I intend for combat to be a risky proposition at the best of times.

Edit: Added Butcher's nails to bionics.

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Nothing to report on the ruleswriting front, but I did churn out a quick something to illustrate the psychic powers section:

IwlbzfN.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
“beast nuggets” for some reason, the poo of your particular Power’s Beasts can provide healing when injested. (another Power’s nuggets don’t work. Opposed Power’s nuggets cause more injury.) :LOL:
But do daemonic beasts produce droppings anyway? Do they even have digestive tracts? So many questions!

I'm pondering if I should include a craftable potion that grants regeneration for a short time, but can backfire and force a roll with penalties on the mutation chart instead.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Couldn't bring myself to work on rules today, but I did get another quick art piece done. As you can probably guess, this one's for the siren.

y7xJjGZ.jpg

Apparently, I'm going through some kind of a silhouette phase.

Edit: I wasn't perfectly happy with the glow of the eyes and mouth, so I toned it down a little.

isgkpqL.jpg

Better or worse, what do you think?

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I thought it was about time I tackled psychic powers. I've been putting it off too long - after all, it will be one the main features not wholly ripped off of EotE, and needs to be considered before I get on any further with equipment, talent trees or any of the other million things I've yet to do.

To begin, I'll explain a bit about how force powers work in EotE, as I'm basing my psychic system on them. To use force powers, a character needs a force rating of 1 or more - some careers grant force rating when they're picked as a character's starting career. Characters can also get a force rating by buying into a universal specialization like Force sensitive exile and buying the requisite talent from that specialization's talent tree. Force rating can be improved by talents, generally fairly late into a force-sensitive career's talent tree.

When using force powers, a special force die is rolled to determine the effectiveness of the power. This is a D12 with white and black pips instead of numbers - 3x two white pips, 2x one white pip, 6x one black pip and 1x two black pips. White pips generate force points to use on the power, while black pips don't, unless the user reaches out to the dark side of the force and suffers penalties as a result.

There are a bunch of powers, all fairly generic like Heal/Harm, Bind, Foresee, etc. All force users can use the basic version of any power; however, each power has its own talent tree that can be upgraded with experience points. Power trees contain upgrades like Control, Magnitude, Strenght, Duration, etc. that, once purchased can be used to augment the power (some requiring use of additional force points to trigger). For example: a character with a force rating of two rolls 3 force points when using a power, spends one force point on the basic effect of the power, and uses the remaining two points to augment the base effect with upgrades they've unlocked on the power tree. They can also opt to use any augments that don't require force points to use on top of that.

So, how to port this over to 40k? The obvious problem is figuring out what triggers perils of the warp attacks. Currently, I'm thinking something like this: When using psychic powers, players roll 1 force die for every point of Psychic rating they have. Unlike in EotE, all rolled pips contribute towards Force points - however, if black pips outnumber white pips, something nasty has happened, and they have to roll on the Perils of the warp chart - a D100 roll with +10 for every black pip left after deducting all white pips (ie. if a character rolls 1 white pip and 2 black, they'd roll on the Perils table and add +10 to the result). Rolling on the perils table does not necessarily mean that power fails to manifest; it might even make it more powerful, though with nasty side effects. More force die means more chances of a truly catastrophic meltdown on a bad roll, which fits 40k pretty well - greater the power, greater the dangers.

There are a couple of ways to add more force die without improving one's psychic rating, these being:

Tapping on the winds of Chaos: Gain one force die on a power roll - however, every black pip counts double for Perils of the warp rolls, ie. +20 on the roll for every black pip after deductions.

Spending godly favour: Gain one force die for every favour point spent.

Some powers I've been thinking about - unlike EotE, I'm thinking that each specialization starts with a few powers unlocked and need to purchase the rest. Might also come up with powers specific to gods, but that can wait until I have the rest of the psychic system actually written.

Pyromancy: Burn stuff. Straightforward enough.

Biomantic enhancement: Buff yourself or allies with a variety of effects.

Telekinesis: Manipulate objects and people.

Divination: Short-term prescience. In battle, this mostly serves to give buffs to survivability. Of course, it can also be used to coax hints out of the GM regarding the players' current situation.

Telepathy: Information-gathering, debuffing, and when upgraded enough, short-term mind control.

Daemonology: Exactly what it says on the tin - summoning creatures of the warp into realspace. Doubly more dangerous than others, so every black pip rolled always adds +20 on Perils rolls - or +30, if the caster attempts to tap into the winds of chaos. Upgrades are split between summoning more powerful cretures and controlling them more effectively.

Edit: clarified the ruling a bit; all pips rolled generate Force points to use on the power.

So, that's the gist of it. Now I need to write up the Perils table, a Power tree for all the psychic powers, and give some thought to the talent trees of all caster specialiations...

What do you think? Sound workable?

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
2nd edition of 40k (the best edition) had quite an extensive psychic power list. psychic powers went from level 1-4 and so did psychic users. Jinx was always a favorite, as it totally screwed with powered items (vehicles, lascannons, terminator armor).

the black and white pips sounds interesting. but as they’re chaos psychics / sorcerers, wouldn’t they rather have the black pips? or you could name them differently... white=beneficial or successes (used to death) black=perilous (as in Perils of the Warp), since they add danger without necessarily making the power fail

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Calling them black and white pips is just for the sake of clarity, I feel assigning names to them would be just a pointless layer of detail. As for why white pips are the non-dangerous ones, it's because there's three sides of two white pips on the dice, compared to just one side of two black pips - I suspect that if the white ones would count for Perils then psyker life expectancy would be a bit too short! In short, it's all game mechanics decisions with no regard for the fluff.

Jinx sounds like a good addition to the list of powers. I'm also considering some kind of offensive biomancy - stuff like making your opponent's blood boil and such.