Schattelgeist - developing a 40k roleplay setting

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
“beast nuggets” for some reason, the poo of your particular Power’s Beasts can provide healing when injested. (another Power’s nuggets don’t work. Opposed Power’s nuggets cause more injury.) :LOL:
But do daemonic beasts produce droppings anyway? Do they even have digestive tracts? So many questions!

I'm pondering if I should include a craftable potion that grants regeneration for a short time, but can backfire and force a roll with penalties on the mutation chart instead.

Reactions: Punktaku

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Couldn't bring myself to work on rules today, but I did get another quick art piece done. As you can probably guess, this one's for the siren.

y7xJjGZ.jpg

Apparently, I'm going through some kind of a silhouette phase.

Edit: I wasn't perfectly happy with the glow of the eyes and mouth, so I toned it down a little.

isgkpqL.jpg

Better or worse, what do you think?

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I thought it was about time I tackled psychic powers. I've been putting it off too long - after all, it will be one the main features not wholly ripped off of EotE, and needs to be considered before I get on any further with equipment, talent trees or any of the other million things I've yet to do.

To begin, I'll explain a bit about how force powers work in EotE, as I'm basing my psychic system on them. To use force powers, a character needs a force rating of 1 or more - some careers grant force rating when they're picked as a character's starting career. Characters can also get a force rating by buying into a universal specialization like Force sensitive exile and buying the requisite talent from that specialization's talent tree. Force rating can be improved by talents, generally fairly late into a force-sensitive career's talent tree.

When using force powers, a special force die is rolled to determine the effectiveness of the power. This is a D12 with white and black pips instead of numbers - 3x two white pips, 2x one white pip, 6x one black pip and 1x two black pips. White pips generate force points to use on the power, while black pips don't, unless the user reaches out to the dark side of the force and suffers penalties as a result.

There are a bunch of powers, all fairly generic like Heal/Harm, Bind, Foresee, etc. All force users can use the basic version of any power; however, each power has its own talent tree that can be upgraded with experience points. Power trees contain upgrades like Control, Magnitude, Strenght, Duration, etc. that, once purchased can be used to augment the power (some requiring use of additional force points to trigger). For example: a character with a force rating of two rolls 3 force points when using a power, spends one force point on the basic effect of the power, and uses the remaining two points to augment the base effect with upgrades they've unlocked on the power tree. They can also opt to use any augments that don't require force points to use on top of that.

So, how to port this over to 40k? The obvious problem is figuring out what triggers perils of the warp attacks. Currently, I'm thinking something like this: When using psychic powers, players roll 1 force die for every point of Psychic rating they have. Unlike in EotE, all rolled pips contribute towards Force points - however, if black pips outnumber white pips, something nasty has happened, and they have to roll on the Perils of the warp chart - a D100 roll with +10 for every black pip left after deducting all white pips (ie. if a character rolls 1 white pip and 2 black, they'd roll on the Perils table and add +10 to the result). Rolling on the perils table does not necessarily mean that power fails to manifest; it might even make it more powerful, though with nasty side effects. More force die means more chances of a truly catastrophic meltdown on a bad roll, which fits 40k pretty well - greater the power, greater the dangers.

There are a couple of ways to add more force die without improving one's psychic rating, these being:

Tapping on the winds of Chaos: Gain one force die on a power roll - however, every black pip counts double for Perils of the warp rolls, ie. +20 on the roll for every black pip after deductions.

Spending godly favour: Gain one force die for every favour point spent.

Some powers I've been thinking about - unlike EotE, I'm thinking that each specialization starts with a few powers unlocked and need to purchase the rest. Might also come up with powers specific to gods, but that can wait until I have the rest of the psychic system actually written.

Pyromancy: Burn stuff. Straightforward enough.

Biomantic enhancement: Buff yourself or allies with a variety of effects.

Telekinesis: Manipulate objects and people.

Divination: Short-term prescience. In battle, this mostly serves to give buffs to survivability. Of course, it can also be used to coax hints out of the GM regarding the players' current situation.

Telepathy: Information-gathering, debuffing, and when upgraded enough, short-term mind control.

Daemonology: Exactly what it says on the tin - summoning creatures of the warp into realspace. Doubly more dangerous than others, so every black pip rolled always adds +20 on Perils rolls - or +30, if the caster attempts to tap into the winds of chaos. Upgrades are split between summoning more powerful cretures and controlling them more effectively.

Edit: clarified the ruling a bit; all pips rolled generate Force points to use on the power.

So, that's the gist of it. Now I need to write up the Perils table, a Power tree for all the psychic powers, and give some thought to the talent trees of all caster specialiations...

What do you think? Sound workable?

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
2nd edition of 40k (the best edition) had quite an extensive psychic power list. psychic powers went from level 1-4 and so did psychic users. Jinx was always a favorite, as it totally screwed with powered items (vehicles, lascannons, terminator armor).

the black and white pips sounds interesting. but as they’re chaos psychics / sorcerers, wouldn’t they rather have the black pips? or you could name them differently... white=beneficial or successes (used to death) black=perilous (as in Perils of the Warp), since they add danger without necessarily making the power fail

Reactions: HorribleHedgehog

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Calling them black and white pips is just for the sake of clarity, I feel assigning names to them would be just a pointless layer of detail. As for why white pips are the non-dangerous ones, it's because there's three sides of two white pips on the dice, compared to just one side of two black pips - I suspect that if the white ones would count for Perils then psyker life expectancy would be a bit too short! In short, it's all game mechanics decisions with no regard for the fluff.

Jinx sounds like a good addition to the list of powers. I'm also considering some kind of offensive biomancy - stuff like making your opponent's blood boil and such.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I started working on a map of Ovligath's surroundings. I plan on eventually making three maps: one of Ovligath itself, this one detailing it's surroundings, and finally a map of the entire planet.

WsHlPc8.jpg

As you can see, I've got a lot of empty space to fill. I'm taking suggestions for places of interest and geography in general.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
what about an area (maybe near the hive, or possibly secreted away) called The Larder. Untainted humans (and Xenos?) are kept there,, raising food stuffs and livestock for the mortal followers. They also serve double duty as test subjects for new plagues, virgin sacrifices for certain spells, orgy fodder, and sources of fresh blood and skulls. All carefully regulated by The Prince.

i’d imagine they know they’re captives/slaves, but probably are unaware of the true nature of their prison.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Sounds just about right! Most hives can't function without exported food after all, and I imagine this is true for Ovligath as well. Could even have multiple such facilities dotted around the hive.

One thing I know I'll add is some kind of a mining town (Ore town?) near the adamantium mines. The Last Road is so called because it's used to ferry fresh slaves from the hive to the Blood Forges (Dark Mechanicus' stronghold/manufactorum) and to the adamantium mines, and thus is the final journey for many a soul. Ore Town and the mines will be constantly fought over by roving Motor Nomad clans, who fight for the right to supply the adamantium to the Mechanicus in exchange for superior technology.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i imagine it would create quite a curfluffle if, say, some plaguebearers or a nurgling infestation got into one of the food domes that the mortal followers of the other Gods depend on.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
With obligatory visit every couple hundred years from a particular doctor looking for genetically stable organ sources. They are not yet up to snuff, but you know, one day....

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Those pesky nurglites probably planned it to disturb the balance of power!

A little progress. I decided that one Larder wouldn't be enough for an entire hive, so I put down four. Also added some environmental diversity via woods and marshes and a couple of settlements.

iTKv1Cn.jpg

Reactions: trollmeat

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
I got sidetracked with character art again and sketched a khornate demagogue. Being a social type doesn't have to mean being squishy!

spOM892.jpg

I promise I'll resume working on the map soon. I think I'll try making this a black-and-white piece to cut down on the workload - I love playing with colours, but it's never particularly fast going, especially with detail-rich pieces.

Edit: started on the shading. I have a good feeling about this - if everything goes well, it'll end up very Adrian Smith-y.

cfuciLn.jpg

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Working without colour is turning out to be incredibly quick and easy. I should get this little distraction wrapped up soon and then I can move on to the next inconsequential character piece writing rules and drawing maps. Honest.

4VXlack.jpg

Edit: Sleep is for the weak. Almost done now - just needs a bit of cleanup and some detailwork.

MBpxz2j.jpg

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
The demagogue is now kinda sorta finished, but I still feel like I need to fiddle with it a bit more. Probably gonna update this post later tonight...

hSRyTJ6.jpg

Edit: Fiddling succesful. I am now moderately happy with it. Now I can maybe get this project back on track for a short while before I'm hit with art inspiration again. Should finish up that map first thing...

jej75My.jpg

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
Update on the map. Still too much emptiness. Any ideas for locations, landmarks, localized warp phenomena etc. would be greatly appreciated.

PNxnFqZ.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
My BFG Armada II campaign has been stricken by a bug that prevents me from progressing. This has caused profound boredom that in turn led to an existential crisis that I treated by starting yet another character illustration. Yeah, I know. I need some kind of a trained rules monkey to do all the boring rules writing while I spend all my creative energy on pretty pictures.

This time it's a Tzeentchian biomancer adept! I'm going through a muscular people phase. Don't judge. Once I get around to shading, their left (viewer's right) arm will be turning a darker shade to show them psychically hardening their skin.

lVqEGIn.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i think at least a few of them should be some kind of scars on the planet left over from conflicts between the powers. I think i pitched a couple way back in the thread. i may have them written down at home. i’ll look later tonight.

what i’m thinking of is areas where two or more Powers collided with such power it changed that part of the planet forever. it could be an entire region down to a haunted building or ruin.

Example: Balphegor’s Defilement: A ruin complex that once belonged to Tzneetch, a horde of Khornate berserkers interrupted a mighty ritual being performed by an alliance of covens. the collected magics went wild through the ruins and become corrupted by the berserkers blood lust. There were no survivors on either side. No one goes there anymore.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Hero
Aug 16, 2017
i think at least a few of them should be some kind of scars on the planet left over from conflicts between the powers. I think i pitched a couple way back in the thread. i may have them written down at home. i’ll look later tonight.

what i’m thinking of is areas where two or more Powers collided with such power it changed that part of the planet forever. it could be an entire region down to a haunted building or ruin.

Example: Balphegor’s Defilement: A ruin complex that once belonged to Tzneetch, a horde of Khornate berserkers interrupted a mighty ritual being performed by an alliance of covens. the collected magics went wild through the ruins and become corrupted by the berserkers blood lust. There were no survivors on either side. No one goes there anymore.
Yes! I've been worried that right now the map looks way too much like a dime-a-dozen fantasy map with some scifi-stuff tacked on; some warp energy scarring ought to make it more interesting and add much-needed 40k flavour. Perhaps an entire desert region beset by maddening illusions, or a permanent tear in the fabric of realspace constantly spitting out minor daemons...

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Oh, I think a permanent tear in reality is required by law or something. it doesn't have to be huge like the Eye of Terror either. running with your idea, what if its a small, semi-stable rift out in the wastes somewhere (ceremonial complex?), and it's size and power waxes and wanes with the moons. When one moon has the upper hand, the rift allows beasts belonging to that power through. If it gets bigger it allows minor deamons through. If one moon should dominate the others, the rift will get so large that a greater daemon can come through.