Schattelgeist - developing a 40k roleplay setting

Wasteland

Ganger
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
@OP:

Former Ravenloft DM here. Read upon techniques of creating a horror story as your action takes place on a daemon world. And just a quick question at the end:
Prolonged exposure to an environment like the one you described would drive sooner or later everyone insane which is the trademark of the majority of chaos cultists. How do your PCs stave off the corruption? Or phrased another way: Why don´t they participate in the most awful atrocities that are perpetrated there on a daily basis? In my experience, a believable RPG group of sick & evil culprits never works out as they will sooner or later tear themselves apart.
Just think of the movie Event Horizon. What happened to it´s crew when the ship literally went to hell...

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
@OP:

Former Ravenloft DM here. Read upon techniques of creating a horror story as your action takes place on a daemon world. And just a quick question at the end:
Prolonged exposure to an environment like the one you described would drive sooner or later everyone insane which is the trademark of the majority of chaos cultists. How do your PCs stave off the corruption? Or phrased another way: Why don´t they participate in the most awful atrocities that are perpetrated there on a daily basis? In my experience, a believable RPG group of sick & evil culprits never works out as they will sooner or later tear themselves apart.
Just think of the movie Event Horizon. What happened to it´s crew when the ship literally went to hell...
It's a good question, and one that took me some time to formulate a satisfactory answer to!

For starters, I view most Schattelgeistians as akin to death worlders: pragmatic and often quite ruthless, but in the end they're just trying to survive in a hostile environment. Chaos gods are just part of the natural order of the place - they're worshipped for the same reasons our ancestors worshipped nature deities, with the added bonus that appeasing the chaos gods demonstrably works. For most, it's a means to survival, and one that's best not trusted too much.

Sure, by our standards, it's safe to say everyone living on Schattelgeist is damaged somehow, and a lot end up jumping off the slippery slope at some point - but it's not like they're all screaming maniacs, else they'd have died out a long time ago.

Of course, the worst of humanity is well represented, but the truly despicable people are usually the ones in power - the nobility, the Dark Mechanicus, the Prince and their lackeys. Most of the people are just that; people, stuck in a hostile world and oppressed by insane oligarchs.

On page five, there's some mulling on how to bring the characters together and hopefully keep them that way - as you can see, we've mostly gone with the assumption that the players will belong to lower strata of society, and mostly motivated by survival or somehow improving their lot in life.

Now, moving on to other things - I fiddled some more with the Sisters, and I'm now fairly happy with them. I'll start shading tomorrow. I also got the map more or less done; still need to clean some things up, but I think I've got all the details I want (unless someone's got a really cool idea for a location ;) ).

cw6ijn4.jpg

0Kgm66J.jpg

Edit: I couldn't let the champ wait until tomorrow. They're coming along nicely.

4ToX4Hb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: trollmeat

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Who is to say that Earth isn’t inside the Eye of Terror? We just can’t see how horribly mutated, vicious and malignant humanity is because we are part of it. :p

Reactions: HorribleHedgehog

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Right. It's past time I stopped distracting myself with art and got some rules nailed down.

I decided to start with the mutations/gifts chart. This thing needs to be varied enough that - depending on the modifiers of the roll - it can be a reward, a gamble or a punishment.

All mutations are permanent.

If the character rolls a mutation they already have, roll again until you get a viable result. Some mutations can be suffered multiple times; this is specifically noted in the description. WORK IN PROGRESS - I've yet to add the really really bad stuff (-50 to 0, or maybe even -100 to 0).

GIFTS FROM THE GODS RESULT

-50 or less - Spawndom: The character immediately suffers 5 mutations at -100 (rerolling further Spawndom results). They lose their mind and become an NPC.

-49 to -45 - Feebleminded: The character reduces their Intellect rating, Cunning rating and Willpower rating by one.

-44 to -40 - Uncontrollable muscle growth: The character improves their Brawn rating by one and reduces their Agility rating by one. They can no longer perform free manouevers in combat.

-39 to -35 - Feeder tentacles: The character sprouts tentacles all over their body. The tentacles try to grab anything fleshy within range and bring it to the character's mouth (or mouths). Any enemy wishing to disengage character with Feeder tentacles must pass an opposed Brawl check. The tentacles prevent the character from wearing armour.

-34 to -30 - Lamprey mouth: When within engaged range of an enemy, the character can spend a manouever to latch onto them, causing two wounds to the target and recovering one for themselves. The character loses the ability to speak.

-29 to -25 - Skinless: The character must reduce their Wound threshold by three and increase the difficulty of all Resilience checks once.

-24 to -20 - Beast head: The character's head morphs into one of an animal. They retain their intellect, but lose the ability to speak. In addition, they can reduce the difficulty of all Coercion checks once.

-19 to -15 - Vestigial appendage: The character grows an obtrusive appendage which forces them to modify or strip parts of their armour to accommodate it. Any suit of armour worn by the character counts their Soak Value as one point less than usual (ie. a suit of Flak armour counts as having a Soak Value of 1 when worn by a character with a Vestigial Extra Limb).

-14 to -10 - Crablike Pincer: One of the target's hands (selected by the GM) morphs into a great crablike pincer. The character must increase the difficulty of all checks requiring two hands twice. However, they can use their Pincer as a Brawling weapon with the following profile: Crablike pincer - Damage: 7 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Special: Vicious 4, Pierce 3. This mutation can be suffered as many times as the character has hands left. If the character is ever reduced to having no hands, they cannot perform any actions that would require hands.

-9 to -5 - Tentacle arm: One of the target's hands (selected by the GM) morphs into a long whiplike tentacle. The character must increase the difficulty of all checks requiring the use of that hand by one. However, they can use their Tentacle as a Brawling weapon with the following profile: Tentacle arm - Damage: 1 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: short Special: Ensnare 1.This mutation can be suffered as many times as the character has hands left. If the character is ever reduced to having no hands, they cannot perform any actions that would require hands.

-4 to 0 - Brain tumor: The character must increase the difficulty of all Intellect and Cunning checks once. In addition, they must reduce their Strain Threshold by 3.

01-05 - Tumorous growth: The character must increase the difficulty of all Resilience, Athletics, and Coordination checks once. In addition, they must reduce their Wound Threshold by 2. This mutation can be suffered more than once; each Tumorous Growth gained after the first one further reduces the character's Wound Threshold by one, but does not impose any further penalties to skill checks. Example: a character with two Tumorous Growths would increase the difficulty of all Resilience, Athletics, and Coordination checks once, and reduce their Wound Threshold by 3.

06-10 - Muscular atrophy: The character must increase the difficulty of all Brawn checks once.

11-15 - Vestigial wings: The character cannot wear a backpack or carry items on their back without extreme discomfort. Whenever the character wears a backpack or carries a heavy item on their back, their strain threshold is reduced by 2.

16-20 - Horrifying appearance: The character must upgrade the difficulty of all Charm checks by one, and reduce the difficulty of all Coercion checks by one.

21-25 - Superficial mutation: The character is develops a skin condition, colored skin, little mouths dotting their body or some other visible mutation that doesn't help or hinder them much. It can make them easier to identify, however.

26-30 - Extra arm: The character must increase the difficulty of all Coordination checks once. However, when dual-wielding they can substitute one Ranged (light) or a one-handed Melee weapon with a Ranged (heavy) or two-handed melee weapon. This mutation can be suffered more than once. If the player has managed to accrue four or more total arms, they can use two Ranged (heavy) or two-handed melee weapons when dual-wielding. If the character has lost an arm before gaining this mutation, then the mutation and the injury cancel each other out.

31-35 - Crab legs: The character's legs morph into a gaggle of crab legs. The character can reduce the difficulty of all Coordination checks once. Their improved stability also means they can add a Boost die to all Ranged (heavy) and Gunnery checks at Long or Extreme range. However, as a armour generally isn't designed with arthropods in mind, any suit or armour worn by a character with Crab legs counts their Soak Value as one less than usual. Riding vehicles may prove problematic.

36-40 - Bone plates: The character improves their Soak Value by one. They must increase the difficulty of all Agility checks once.

41-45 - Extra eyes: Roll 1d6 to determine the amount of extra eyes gained. As long as the character has three or more eyes (including bionic eyes) they can reduce the difficulty of all Perception checks once. This result can negate permanent eye injuries. This mutation can be suffered more than once.

46-50 - Crocodile smile: The character gains a mean bite and lots of sharp teeth. They can use their bite as a Brawling weapon with the following profile: Damage: 2 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Special: Pierce 1.

51-55 - Digitigrade legs: The character can reduce the difficulty of all Athletics checks once, but must increase the difficulty of all Coordination checks once. They must also increase the difficulty of all Piloting checks if the vehicle in question requires use of pedals to operate it.

56-60 - Horns: When the character moves to engaged range with an enemy, they can spend a manouever to perform a special attack with the following weapon profile: Damage: 4 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Special: Knockdown.

61-65 - Claws: The character's nails morph into sharp bone claws. The character gains as many Claws weapons as they have hands. Claws count as Brawling weapons. Claws have the following profile: Claws - Damage: 3 + Brawn Critical: 3 Range: engaged Special: Vicious 2, if the character dual-wields two or more Claws without other weapons (ie. they only use their Claws in all of their hands), they don't need to upgrade the difficulty of their attack like they normally would when dual-wielding. All of the character's hands gain the weapon when this mutation is rolled. If they gain extra arms after rolling this mutation, those arms count as having Claws as well.

66-70 - Tail: The character can reduce the difficulty of all Coordination checks once.

71-80 - God-specific mutation: Roll again on the God-specific mutation chart of your character's chosen patron deity. Undivided characters can choose which God-specific mutation chart they roll on. This result can be gained as many times as there are viable results on the God-specific chart left.

81-85 - Healing factor: Whenever the character recovers wounds, they recover one extra wound in addition to their normal wound recovery. Once per week, the character can attempt to heal a critical injury - even one that would normally be permanent like a lost limb or missing eye - with a Daunting Resilience check. Every time this check fails, the next time the check is made for the same injury the difficulty is reduced by one (ie. the first attempt to heal an injury is a Daunting check, the next is Very Hard, etc.).

86-90 - Wings: The character can fly short distances by passing an Athletics check. The difficulty of this check is determined by the GM based on the distance, carried weight, weather conditions, etc.

91-95 - Metal skin: The character improves their Soak value by 2.

96-100 - Cannibal mimicry: The character can change their appearance to match humanoid beings of similar mass that they have eaten (at least a few good bites' worth). Roll an 1d6 when you gain this mutation: this is the amount of "disguises" acquired this way you can store in your memory. Gaining a new "disguise" immediately overwrites your oldest stored disguise.

101-105 - Aura of dark majesty: The character can reduce the difficulty of all Leadership and Coercion checks once.

106-110 - Psychic awakening: The character improves their Psychic rating by one, or gains Psychic rating of one if the didn't have a Psychic rating already. Followers of Khorne re-roll this mutation.

111-115 - Daemonic willpower: The character improves their Willpower rating by one.

116-120 - Daemonic vigor: The character improves their Brawn rating by one.

121-125 - God's favour: Roll again on the god-specific mutation chart of your character's chosen patron deity. You can add or subtract 1 from the result. Undivided characters can choose which God-specific mutation chart they roll on. This result can be gained as many times as there are viable results on the God-specific chart left.

126-130 - Breath attack: The character can spew fire, lighting, acid or some other deadly substance from their mouth. Once per encounter, they can make a breath attack. This attack uses Resilience instead of a weapon skill and has the following profile: Damage: 10 Critical: 3 Range: short Special: Burn 3, Blast 10

131-135 - Redundant organs: The character's Wound Threshold is improved by 3 and they can reduce the difficulty of all Resilience checks once.

136-140 - Gift of tongues: The character can reduce the difficulty of all Charm and Negotiation checks once. In addition, they are understood and can understand all sentient beings, regardless of language barriers.

141-145 - Cameleonine skin: The character immediately gains 2 ranks in Stealth.

146-150 - Rapid regeneration: Whenever the character recovers wounds, they recover 3 extra wounds in addition to their normal wound recovery. Once per week, the character can attempt to heal a critical injury - even one that would normally be permanent like a lost limb or missing eye - with a Very Hard Resilience check. Every time this check fails, the next time the check is made for the same limb or eye the difficulty is reduced by one (ie. the first attempt to heal an injury is a Very Hard check, the next is Hard, etc.). This mutation replaces the Healing factor mutation, if the character already has it. The character with this mutation rolls the Healing factor result, they must roll again.

151-155 - Sixth sense: The character immediately gains 3 ranks in Vigilance.

156-160 - Indefatigable: The character improves their Strain threshold by three.

161-165 - Untouchable: The character improves their Defense rating by one.

166-170 - Technopath: The character immediately gains two ranks in Mechanics and one rank in Computers.

171-175 - Gigantic stature: The character grows to around twice their original size. The character improves their Wound threshold by 3 and their Brawn rating by 2, but must reduce their Agility rating by one. All armours need to be modified to fit them. This costs half the listed price of the armour (ie. a suit of mesh armour (500 runes) would cost 250 runes to be modified to fit a gigantic character). This modification does not require hardpoints and can be done by any weaponsmith or by a player with an Average Mechanics check.

176-180 - Doombreath: As Breath attack, but the attack has the following profile: Damage: 16 Critical: 3 Range: short Special: Burn 3, Blast 14, Vicious 3. This mutation replaces Breath attack and a character with this mutation cannot gain Breath attack and re-rolls instead.

181-190 - Chosen: You can choose one mutation from this chart, except for Apotheosis or Exalted. This result can be gained multiple times.

191-199 - Exalted: You can choose one mutation from the god-specific mutation chart of your character's chosen patron deity. Undivided characters can choose which God-specific mutation chart they choose their result from. This result can be gained as many times as there are viable results on the God-specific chart left.

200+ - Apotheosis: The character ascends to daemonhood and becomes immortal. They immediately regenerate all injuries, including permanent ones. They require no sustenance or rest. They gain 3 mutations of the player's choice (or GM's, in case of NPCs). When they would die, they are instead banished into the warp to slowly recover.

Edit: added the results for negative rolls and moved some things around.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I think this is a good start, especially since you have Power-specific charts on the way. I think you need some mutations that are purely cosmetic, or of seriously limited use or hindrance. Things like Brightly Patterned Skin ( hard to hide), Furry (stay warm), Acid Blood (retaliatory attack that also damages your own armor), Funny Voice (why does Brutus sound like an over-excited chipmunk on speed?), Skin Condition (gross, but that's about it), Long Arms, Big Hands, Stubby Legs, Unfeasibly Large Testicles, Tentacle Fingers, Sucker Mouth, Elephantine Ears, Hair Spikes (like a porcupine), etc.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I'd love to have all sorts of mostly-cosmetic mutations, but I'm kind of already suffering from an embarrassment of riches in regards to stuff I want to include on the chart (notice it's still missing tentacles and lamprey mouths and crab legs and beast heads...). Nevertheless, perhaps I'll find space to include some, or at least a few catch-all cosmetic mutation results.

Edit: I couldn't resist starting another character piece. I've been thinking that I'm lacking a heavy weapons class, and I figured that the waster mechanic would be a natural fit for that role. So I sketched one with a heavy bolter and crazy survivalist eyes.

igS3od3.jpg

Last edited:

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I added the nasty stuff (I decided -50 would be enough, it takes a lot of negative modifiers and bad luck to get even that low) to the Gifts chart. I also moved some things around and added a few new things to the mid-range.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I was thinking of another possible map/adventure location. THE VAPOR WASTES. A couple hundred years ago, and Imperial Explorator vessel was dumped out of the warp over the planet and crashed into a valley high up the mountains. During its plummet to the surface, the engine pods separated from the craft, leaving a huge debris field. To prevent detonation on impact, the crew jettisoned the warp core. The core landed in the midst of a small city and detonated, wiping the city off the map and leaving a massive, radioactive wasteland.

Luckily for the crew, the catastrophe hid the fact that th majority of the vessel survived, wedged in a valley high up between two mountain peaks. Over the years the crew has continued to camouflage the wreckage, their population has grown, and their tech has survived. They can never leave, but they can continue to monitor and prepare reports to send back to the Imperium.

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
That's a great idea! I can already see how they could interact with the PCs.

I'm assuming the crew can't perform the rite of soul binding and thus make new astropaths on Schattelgeist - I figure that would require specialist equipment an explorator vessel wouldn't carry. Thus, they have begun to look for alternative methods of creating astropaths, and occasionally send down small "acquisition parties" to scrounge for technology and individuals with psychic potential. A group of PCs with psykers could be ambushed by one of these parties.

The mere knowledge of an existence of such a faction would present the PCs with a nice moral quandary. Do they rat them out to the powers that be, assuredly being rewarded both in material and favour, but condemning the entire civilization to horrible fates, or do they let them be and run the risk of an imperial raid on their homeworld should the crew ever find a way to communicate with the imperium?

Reactions: Punktaku

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I thought I'd have a go at the god-specific charts, and got the Khorne one done. As you can see, these will be simple d10 charts with mostly positive effects.

KHORNE-SPECIFIC MUTATIONS

1-2 - Muscular hypertrophy:
The character increases their Brawn rating by one and decreases their Agility rating by one.

3 - Flesh-fused Weapon: The character must pick one weapon in their possession. This weapon fuses into their hand and cannot be unequipped (two-handed weapons only fuse into one of the character's hands, leaving the rest free). The character must increase the difficulty of all checks requiring two hands twice. When using their flesh-fused weapon, they count their applicable weapon skill as being one point higher than usual. The flesh-fused weapon can still be modified.

4 - Skull face: The skin and musculature of the character's face melt away while their eyes bubble and run down their now-bony cheeks. The character must increase the difficulty of all Charm checks twice, and reduce the difficulty of all Coercion checks twice. This mutation replaces Horrifying Appearance should the character already have it, and if a character who already has a Skull Face rolls Horrifying Appearance, they must re-roll.

5 - Collar of Khorne: The character can reduce the difficulty of any checks to resist the effects of psychic powers once. When hit by a psychic power that deals damage the character reduces the damage by 3 points.

6 - Flesh hound of Khorne: The character receives a Flesh Hound of Khorne as a pet. The pet follows the commands of the player character, though if the PC commands their beast to perform an action that goes against the nature of the beast or their deity, the GM can force them to make a Leadership check to see if they succeed. The beast counts as a minion for purposes of critical injuries etc. in combat. If the beast is taken over their Wound or Strain threshold, they are banished back into the warp and need to be re-summoned with an appropriate summoning ritual. The beast cannot gain XP. See Bestiary for stats.

7 - Vampiric metabolism: Once per encounter, the character can recover 5 wounds by drinking the blood (at least a glassful) of any sentient being except themselves. Doing this in combat requires spending an Action or two Manoueveres, as well as a fresh source of blood within reach.

8 - Explosive strength: The character can increase the damage of any Melee or Brawl attack by taking on Strain. Each point of Strain suffered increases the damage of the attack by one. This can be done a maximum of three times per attack.

9 - Killer instinct: If the character's attack results in an enemy being taken over their Wound threshold (this includes enemies in minion groups), they immediately gain one bonus action. This can only happen once per round.

10 - Chosen of Khorne: The character rolls twice on this chart and applies both results.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
BLASPHEMY! Khorne should be d8. ooh... or d88?

Slaanesh d6
Tzneetch d9 (d10 but the 0’s don’t count. Tzneetch is fickle that way...
Nurgle d7... hmm... to heck with Nurgle. they’re icky...

1 comments

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
A bit of progress on the waster tech. The left arm is a bit wonky, I'll see if I can do something about it tomorrow.

3gc3Dnj.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Righto. I'm calling the waster tech done - there's a few details I'm not happy with but it's good enough. Time to move on.

qG8kbes.jpg

Which god's mutation chart should I do next?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Tzneetch was always my 2nd favorite.

What are you including Demonic Armor under? did i miss it?

1 comments

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Maybe the 10 spot could be changed to “roll on Favors of Patron Diety” chart instead of “roll twice”? In the original RoC books, your champions could earn lesser demon companions (animals and steeds), demon weapons, demon armor, etc. you could almost do the Favors as a generic chart flavored by the patrons. for example:
1 Daemonic Steed: Your patron grants you a daemonic steed to haul your glorious butt around. (Juggernaut of Khorne, Steed of Slaanesh, Palanquin of Nurgle, Disc of Tzneetch).

2) Guardian Beast: Your patron grants you a beast companion to share your journey. (Flesh Hound of Khorne, Nurglings, Pink or Blue Horrors of Tzneetch, Beast of Slaanesh) Maybe Undivided can get Spawn?

You could have followers of Chaos Undivided pick one, but they cannot choose the same Patron for each favor. (so choose wisely)

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Excuses for the late reply, I've been a bit overwhelmed with RL the last few days.

Tzneetch was always my 2nd favorite.

What are you including Demonic Armor under? did i miss it?
Maybe the 10 spot could be changed to “roll on Favors of Patron Diety” chart instead of “roll twice”? In the original RoC books, your champions could earn lesser demon companions (animals and steeds), demon weapons, demon armor, etc. you could almost do the Favors as a generic chart flavored by the patrons. for example:
1 Daemonic Steed: Your patron grants you a daemonic steed to haul your glorious butt around. (Juggernaut of Khorne, Steed of Slaanesh, Palanquin of Nurgle, Disc of Tzneetch).

2) Guardian Beast: Your patron grants you a beast companion to share your journey. (Flesh Hound of Khorne, Nurglings, Pink or Blue Horrors of Tzneetch, Beast of Slaanesh) Maybe Undivided can get Spawn?

You could have followers of Chaos Undivided pick one, but they cannot choose the same Patron for each favor. (so choose wisely)
I think I'll try to make do with just the Gifts charts - I'm hoping to have all the rules wrangling done by early autumn when I'll start seeing my gaming group again so I can start running a game on them as soon as possible. A tall order with my snail-pace writing and constant art distractions, so I figure I'd best try to keep things as light as possible.

Guardian Beast sounds good - I think I can fit that in the God-specific charts. The Khorne one has at least one result I don't like (Tireless Physiology feels quite bland) so it can replace that one.

I think that Daemonic armour & weapons will be late-game gear modifications, to give the Heretek a specialist purpose. Of course, I could make it so that possessed gear can be acquired via Gifts rolls too, but only the Heretek can upgrade them, or something... In any case, I'll have to write stats for bound daemon modifications themselves before giving this matter more thought.

Daemonic steeds are unfortunately right out, at least for the time being, as EotE does not have rules for mounts and I still have plenty of more basic rules that need writing. I might add them at a later point if I have time, though - mounted warriors would certainly fit right in with Schattelgeist's low-tech tribal and feudalist societies...

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The Heretek performing a ritual of binding for the armor to the champion would be a cool ability. The early fluff just had it happen (demon moves in, armor binds to flesh), but maybe it just works slightly differently here. It would be a cool right of passage type quest if the PCs have to hunt down and capture a demon to bind into the armor (and/or weapon).

Mounts could work simply like they do in Warcrack. Summon the mount, ride it around (increased move trait) but you have to dismount/dismiss them to do things like use spells, skills, or enter combat (ranged or close). They also can't carry stuff. Just the PC and their gear. It may not make sense in Imperial Space, but the PCs aren't in Imperial Space.:)

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Apologies again - RL has been busy with visiting relatives and stuff. It's all winding down now, though, so hopefully I can get this project back on track.

The Heretek performing a ritual of binding for the armor to the champion would be a cool ability. The early fluff just had it happen (demon moves in, armor binds to flesh), but maybe it just works slightly differently here. It would be a cool right of passage type quest if the PCs have to hunt down and capture a demon to bind into the armor (and/or weapon).

Mounts could work simply like they do in Warcrack. Summon the mount, ride it around (increased move trait) but you have to dismount/dismiss them to do things like use spells, skills, or enter combat (ranged or close). They also can't carry stuff. Just the PC and their gear. It may not make sense in Imperial Space, but the PCs aren't in Imperial Space.:)
I think I'm going to work daemonic armour into the gifts chart - If it were Heretek-only it'd completely exclude parties without one. The Heretek, I think, will be special enough because they won't have to rely on a small-percentage dice roll to get daemons to possess their goodies! Anyway, like I said, I'll need to do the actual stats for daemon possession mods first.

I feel WoW-style mounts would be a stopgap measure at best - having a dead killy daemonic mount and not riding it into combat just feels fundamentally wrong to me. I'm starting to feel like mounted rules will be a necessity at some point, but I'll try to finish the essentials first.

I updated the Khornate mutation chart to include guardian beast (replacing tireless physiology):

6 - Flesh hound of Khorne: The character receives a Flesh Hound of Khorne as a pet. The pet follows the commands of the player character, though if the PC commands their beast to perform an action that goes against the nature of the beast or their deity, the GM can force them to make a Leadership check to see if they succeed. The beast counts as a minion for purposes of critical injuries etc. in combat. If the beast is taken over their Wound or Strain threshold, they are banished back into the warp and need to be re-summoned with an appropriate summoning ritual. The beast cannot gain XP. See Bestiary for stats.

Which reminds me I'll have to whip up stats for common enemies and beasts... there's no end to the work.

Last but not least, another character piece I finished quite some time ago, but forgot to post. Initially I intended them to be a Siren, but ultimately they ended up being a Diviner. Suffice to say, they were a ton of work and I burned out on these character portraits at least for a while, which is probably a good thing.

aAQ5tt0.jpg

Reactions: Punktaku

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
I've been once again distracted by RL festivities, but now I'm once more free to waste my time on frivolities like hobby projects. As I'm hoping to have this thing in playable shape by autumn, it's about time to start getting things done. I figured I should get to finishing the psychic powers section before tackling the Tzeentchian mutations chart, as that one will likely deal with psychic powers, so I whipped up a sample psychic power tree for basic pyromantic nastiness - how does it look to you people? Does the progression of upgrades make sense?

LVkeAoQ.jpg

It's somewhat more powerful than its EotE equivalents, but I'm hoping to balance that by making casting riskier. I should get around to writing that Perils of the Warp table...

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Power tree for Biomantic Enhancement.

g9ymyFf.jpg

I also toned down the experience costs of Pyromantic Conjuration upgrades a bit. I don't want to make life for psykers too difficult.

NcANXsl.jpg

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Okay, it's about time I did something about that Perils of the Warp table I've been harping on about. Due to the properties of the Force die, a psychic check on a single die will result in a Perils of the Warp roll on 7 times out of 12 - hence it's important that the table isn't too unforgiving, unless the player has a big modifier on the roll as a result of rolling lots of black pips and/or having additional modifiers.

PERILS OF THE WARP RESULT

01-30 - Nothing untoward: The psychic power works as intended with no ill effects.

31-40 - Psychic exertion: The psychic power works as intended, but the caster immediately suffers 5 strain.

41-50 - Minor psychic backlash: The psychic power works as intended, but the caster immediately suffers a number of wounds equal to the amount of Force points they rolled.

51-60 - Power surge: The psychic power works as intended and the caster gains 1 additional Force point to use on the power, however the caster immediately suffers a number of wounds and strain equal to the amount of Force points they rolled (plus the extra point granted by this result).

61-70 - Temptation: Daemons whisper sordid promises to the psyker's mind. The psychic power works as intended. The GM hands the caster a piece of paper detailing an offer the daemons make. The caster immediately gains 1d3 insanity points.

71-80 - Shadow in the warp
: The psychic power works as intended, but the caster immediately gains 1d6 insanity points.

81-90 - Miscast: The psychic power works, but with one less Force point than rolled. If this would reduce the total to zero, the power fails to work.

81-90 - Severe miscast: The psychic power fails to work. The caster immediately suffers 5 strain as they struggle to prevent their powers from going haywire.

91-100 - Tithe of blood: The caster must immediately suffer a Critical Injury or the power fails to work. If they elect to suffer the injury the power works as intended.

101-110 - The horror: The caster must pass either a Hard Discipline, Cool, or Vigilance check or the power fails to work. If they pass, the power works as intended. Whether or not they pass, they gain 1d6 insanity points.

101-110 - Rampant mutation: The power fails to work, and the caster must immediately make an unmodified roll on the Gifts from the Gods table.

111-120 - Major psychic backlash: The power fails to work, and the caster and every character within Short range of the caster immediately suffer a number of wounds equal to twice the amount of Force points they rolled.

121-130 - Reality cracks:
The power fails to work, and the caster and every character within Short range of the caster immediately suffer 1d6+3 insanity points (roll separately for every character). Minion-level NPCs are assumed to die or otherwise become incapacitated as a result.

131-140 - Change storm: The power fails to work, and the caster and every character within Short range of the caster must immediately make an unmodified roll on the Gifts from the Gods table. Minion-level NPCs are assumed to die or otherwise become incapacitated as a result.

141-150 - Brainflayer: The power fails to work, and the caster must reduce their Willpower characteristic by one. The caster gains 2d6 insanity points.

151-160 - Unlimited power: The psychic power works, and the caster counts as having unlocked every upgrade of the power's respective upgrade tree. They double the amount of Force points they rolled. The caster suffers wounds and strain equal to three times the amount of Force points they rolled. They gain 2d6+3 insanity points.

161-170 - Reality tears: The psyker's head explodes in a shower of gore and denizens of the warp start pouring out of the warp rift their mind became. The power fails to work. The psyker dies. The warp rift keeps spewing out minor daemons until it disappears in 1d6 hours.

So, what do you think? Too unforgiving, too tame?

HorribleHedgehog

Gang Champion
Aug 16, 2017
Haven't managed to get any rules written, but I did start on a portrait of an Inciter. It was a struggle and I'm not sure if the social manipulation aspect is visible enough in the picture. I could use criticism - do they look the part? Anything I could do to make the master manipulator angle more apparent?

l7mbsJK.jpg