Show us yer bitz

Chaos Moomin

Gang Champion
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Bitz! We've all got them. But I'm wondering how you guys go about sorting/storing/finding them. I have been using a couple of Stanley sorter boxes to keep mine in for the past few years. They are a pretty good solution, for the most part; you can take some of the dividers out if you want bigger compartments, they stack together, and they're fairly inexpensive. The larger sized one in particular I would recommend, as It's juuust tall enough to accommodate the standard vallejo-style dropper bottles, if you're looking for somewhere to put your paint, as well. I use this smaller one for miscellaneous bitz I have no particular plan for:

rSFjmk.jpg

It's organised into category by body part, mostly, bagged by faction (I found it was too difficult to find stuff when everything was just loose in the compartments).

This larger one I use for various ongoing projects, split with hobby supplies:

rSF0ox.jpg

...However, with current GW kits having to go together in quite specific ways, I've been reluctant to cut pieces from their sprues, and I have six or seven kits still half-assembled in their boxes, taking up more and more space, as well as a few loose sprues. I figure if I cut them off, I'll have to bag up individual sets of components, otherwise figuring out what goes with what later on will be a nightmare. But given how much extra space the bags have taken up with what I've already got, I'm not sure this will by any more space efficient.

So what's your solution? Leave them on sprues (they are packed nice and efficiently on there nowadays, to be fair), or clip them off? Chuck 'em all in a big unsorted box (I used to do this)? Or what? Pics welcome.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Bitz! We've all got them. But I'm wondering how you guys go about sorting/storing/finding them. I have been using a couple of Stanley sorter boxes to keep mine in for the past few years. They are a pretty good solution, for the most part; you can take some of the dividers out if you want bigger compartments, they stack together, and they're fairly inexpensive. The larger sized one in particular I would recommend, as It's juuust tall enough to accommodate the standard vallejo-style dropper bottles, if you're looking for somewhere to put your paint, as well. I use this smaller one for miscellaneous bitz I have no particular plan for:

View attachment 148497

It's organised into category by body part, mostly, bagged by faction (I found it was too difficult to find stuff when everything was just loose in the compartments).

This larger one I use for various ongoing projects, split with hobby supplies:

View attachment 148498

...However, with current GW kits having to go together in quite specific ways, I've been reluctant to cut pieces from their sprues, and I have six or seven kits still half-assembled in their boxes, taking up more and more space, as well as a few loose sprues. I figure if I cut them off, I'll have to bag up individual sets of components, otherwise figuring out what goes with what later on will be a nightmare. But given how much extra space the bags have taken up with what I've already got, I'm not sure this will by any more space efficient.

So what's your solution? Leave them on sprues (they are packed nice and efficiently on there nowadays, to be fair), or clip them off? Chuck 'em all in a big unsorted box (I used to do this)? Or what? Pics welcome.
I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 15 of the $2.99 jewelry boxes. They have about 18 partitions, and you can cut a wall out easy. Some parts I remove from the sprues, and some I store as partial sprues like those with a row of heads on it. I have done this for the last 2.75 space wolf companies. It took the first 0.25 companies to figure this out. The boxes you have a pretty expensive. As examples I have one box of close combat weapons, one box of bolt pistols with or without arms, one box of torso/legs, one box of heads, one box of boltguns with or without arms and so on. For bikes I do have a larger box, but it is empty now.... Some pieces are primed, some based, some detailed (like the heads), and some not. But most are ready for the next step in the assembly. The last batch of models I assembled and painted was 30 bikes. If your scale is smaller, use fewer boxes as you can put multiple part types in one cell. Like all needed for one space marine kitted out how you want. The price of properly sourced boxes is cheap compared to model prices, and prevents lost part.

With the deepest concerns,
Elmer Hoofstrike
Director of the Department of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder-Productive Applications
Ministry of the Offbeat

Reactions: Chaos Moomin

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Hmmm... I think I posted them in my thread. I'll look and see and ammend this post if I can find them.
Wow, I found the big ole post!
I really need to take some pictures, I've actually been doing stuff recently...

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
My bits- well not box, more like wall, was created when I had enough room for it at my new place:

This has been refined a little since then, sorted more efficiently, and then stuffed with way more things, since this is my overall storage space for the apartment, but it gets the idea across.

All boxes contain sprues, most boxes also contain some sort of Tuppware container for loose bits. I also tend to keep things on their sprues these days, but some cast-offs are always created. There are if course a few boxes labelled "misc" in there, and I also have some small sorting boxes like yours above for recurring projects, mostly containing Necromunda and 40K weapon arms.

Chaos Moomin

Gang Champion
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Hmmm... I think I posted them in my thread. I'll look and see and ammend this post if I can find them.
Wow, I found the big ole post!
I really need to take some pictures, I've actually been doing stuff recently...
Wow, that is quite a treasure trove. And 10/10 on the organisation front - a sight to behold.

Reactions: cainex1

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Ah, sorted bitz. I used to have those. Then I moved, then my new hobby room became a baby's bedroom, then my next, smaller, hobby room became another baby's bedroom, then my hobby cupboard became storage for my wife's junk. I'm not entirely sure how that last one happened, as she doesn't ever use ANYTHING from that cupboard as far as I can tell, yet I have to go up and down to the attic to get bits all the time as the cupboard sits unopened for months... not that I'm bitter or anything 🤬

Anyhoo... At some point my big storage box full of smaller boxes containing bits got upended a couple of times and the contents is now a sort of model soup at the bottom of the big box. I might sort it out again one day. But probably not.