N18 Silent trait now useless?

Soulstone

Sep 25, 2023
Hi everybody. Got my new Necromunda updated book. I played very little with the pre-update books, but I have aeons of gaming experience in Necromunda.

The way I see it, the Silent trait is completely useless. I understand that the Sentry missions were too complicated for the defender, but now it doesn't make any sense to invest in silent weapons.

The silent rule itself cannot be applied (wording from the old rule mechanism, "there is no test to see whether the alarm is raised..." - there are no tests anymore, so pointless).

The alarm is raised if an attacker fires a ranged weapon with the Silent trait and the defender rolls 4+

BUT

The alarm is raised if a sentry is hit by a shooting attack.

So, as things stand, if I fire and miss on 4+ the alarm is raised. If I fire and hit the alarm is raised. The turn ends and a new turn begins with the sentries fully active.

Interestingly enough, surviving a close combat attack does not raise the alarm anymore.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Could be useful in Pitch Black, no?
Interestingly enough, surviving a close combat attack does not raise the alarm anymore.
A sentry will automatically spot the attacker when engaged. The alarm is raised when an attacker is spotted.
The way I see it, the Silent trait is completely useless.

So, as things stand, if I fire and miss on 4+ the alarm is raised. If I fire and hit the alarm is raised.
If it has an effect to avoid raising the alarm, it can't be completely useless :sneaky:

Ah thank you for pointing out the bit on engaging, I expected it to find it in the bullet list below.

Well, paying points for an item that might limit the negative side effects of a failed attack is not the soundest of investments. I've never played pitch black missions so far but I presume some gangs might tailor their lists around them!

Well I started this after reading the Escher chemical thrower to be honest... always hits so always raising the alarm, fixed range so no benefit in the dark...

If you want unsound investment, have a look at plasma grenade :LOL:

Unstable on a grenade = I throw it and I die on a 1-3? Handy :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TopsyKretts
Nice catch! Never noticed that before.

Silent in the dark has nothing to do with fixed range? Should still be useful. But for Sentries, it is useless yeah. Unless taking into account special "saves" that let the target count as not being hit.

Last edited:
Aye silent is only really useful in pitch black so you can shoot without giving away location, really threw me when I played it the first time since rewrite too...

Well I started this after reading the Escher chemical thrower to be honest... always hits so always raising the alarm, fixed range so no benefit in the dark...

Unstable on a grenade = I throw it and I die on a 1-3? Handy :ROFLMAO:
Templates in limited visibility are wonderful when blind charges have -1 to hit.

Reactions: PalatineKatinka