N18 Sisters of Battle as Venators?

Netsurfer733

Mar 31, 2019
It's been suggested to me that I could look into getting the Sisters of Battle into Necromunda by bending them slightly into a Venators gang. There's a chance I might be able to get someone into the game if I can pull this off, so I'm very hopeful!

But how would this be done? I have the first gang War book and the white dwarf with the Venators rules (may 2018), and I can't find any reference or way to include power armor or what not. The available Stat lines aren't great but I think we could easily say the sisters are ill in some way from the underhive - easy enough.

Does anyone know what book(s) I can buy that might have such rules for power armor? Or what else I can do for this?

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Slightly more extensive book rules for Venators can be found in the Book of Peril; also you might find the Book of Judgement interesting for some specific pieces of wargear/weapons usually used by Sisters (like the Anti-psycher Crossbow Bolters and Inferno pistols).

There is no Power armor in Necromunda rules so far. The closest you can get would be Carapace armor + Armored undersuit for a 3+ Armor save from any arc and potentially (if you go for Heavy carapace armor) 2+ from the front arc, but that requires access to Rarity 10 equipment and 105 credits per set. On that you could additionally add Armored overlays (from BoJ) for another degradable +2 Armor.
I would suggest only the leader and maybe the Hunt champions are fully armored Sisters, while the 'gangers' are either Repentias or Novices with lighter armor sets (to keep their cost down).
For Skill tables I would guess Combat/Ferocity and Shooting as primaries would work well enough for pseudo sisters.

Alternatively you could use Palanite enforcer rules (from the BoJ) with Sisters models (and maybe change their House weapon list to include some of their specific equipment from the BoJ).

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
It's been suggested to me that I could look into getting the Sisters of Battle into Necromunda by bending them slightly into a Venators gang. There's a chance I might be able to get someone into the game if I can pull this off, so I'm very hopeful!

But how would this be done? I have the first gang War book and the white dwarf with the Venators rules (may 2018), and I can't find any reference or way to include power armor or what not. The available Stat lines aren't great but I think we could easily say the sisters are ill in some way from the underhive - easy enough.

Does anyone know what book(s) I can buy that might have such rules for power armor? Or what else I can do for this?
If you want to know all the content of Necromunda, you shouldn't use any book released before the compilation books from December 2018. In addition, you should have all the Books of... (Peril, Judgement, Ruin). Or, if you don't want a library of books, you can find nice fan compilated pdfs online (was a famous one on reddit, also some at discord). In general, the books have very poor quality, so I suggest you actually don't buy any books at all. Even if you do buy the books, a lot of the info you get from them is simply wrong, and what you're looking for (armoury, trading post) is going to be scattered in all the books.

In general, you can bend this game to the extreme when it comes to what models you can use. Sure you can use Sisters of Battle! You could make a group of Orcs, Eldar, Squats or pretty much anything. We have a massive armoury filled with weapons ranging from multi-melta to kroot rifle!

In general, if you gonna make a highly customized gang, you can bend the rules towards the models you got. For example SoB may want to use Heavy Flamers and Multi-meltas? You could borrow their cost from other gangs. And increase cost of all other heavy weapons.

Reactions: Jumbley and spafe

Netsurfer733

Mar 31, 2019
Slightly more extensive book rules for Venators can be found in the Book of Peril; also you might find the Book of Judgement interesting for some specific pieces of wargear/weapons usually used by Sisters (like the Anti-psycher Crossbow Bolters and Inferno pistols).

There is no Power armor in Necromunda rules so far. The closest you can get would be Carapace armor + Armored undersuit for a 3+ Armor save from any arc and potentially (if you go for Heavy carapace armor) 2+ from the front arc, but that requires access to Rarity 10 equipment and 105 credits per set. On that you could additionally add Armored overlays (from BoJ) for another degradable +2 Armor.
I would suggest only the leader and maybe the Hunt champions are fully armored Sisters, while the 'gangers' are either Repentias or Novices with lighter armor sets (to keep their cost down).
For Skill tables I would guess Combat/Ferocity and Shooting as primaries would work well enough for pseudo sisters.

Alternatively you could use Palanite enforcer rules (from the BoJ) with Sisters models (and maybe change their House weapon list to include some of their specific equipment from the BoJ).
I was thinking that! Palatine could be a shoe in right? Maybe 4+ armor saves are okay enough. Damaged/degraded armor after being in the underhive for so long etc. Otherwise yeah it seems we'd need to really twist the arms of the rules and keep the champion as the only sister etc. Which is awesome to but yeah - Palatine Enforcers seem to be the way to go I guess. I wonder what their statlines are...

If you want to know all the content of Necromunda, you shouldn't use any book released before the compilation books from December 2018. In addition, you should have all the Books of... (Peril, Judgement, Ruin). Or, if you don't want a library of books, you can find nice fan compilated pdfs online (was a famous one on reddit, also some at discord). In general, the books have very poor quality, so I suggest you actually don't buy any books at all. Even if you do buy the books, a lot of the info you get from them is simply wrong, and what you're looking for (armoury, trading post) is going to be scattered in all the books.

In general, you can bend this game to the extreme when it comes to what models you can use. Sure you can use Sisters of Battle! You could make a group of Orcs, Eldar, Squats or pretty much anything. We have a massive armoury filled with weapons ranging from multi-melta to kroot rifle!

In general, if you gonna make a highly customized gang, you can bend the rules towards the models you got. For example SoB may want to use Heavy Flamers and Multi-meltas? You could borrow their cost from other gangs. And increase cost of all other heavy weapons.
All of the books are of bad quality and are often wrong? o_O that's the first I'm hearing of that. Do you mean they're contradictory? I have on good authority that Necromunda is the best ruleset GW's released by a country mile lol - and the rulebooks essentially are the game, no?

And I am perfectly fine with bending the rules that much but I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way in a GW narrative campaign filled with folks I don't know...

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
I was thinking that! Palatine could be a shoe in right? Maybe 4+ armor saves are okay enough. Damaged/degraded armor after being in the underhive for so long etc. Otherwise yeah it seems we'd need to really twist the arms of the rules and keep the champion as the only sister etc. Which is awesome to but yeah - Palatine Enforcers seem to be the way to go I guess. I wonder what their statlines are...
Whose statline - New Sisters of battle or the enforcers?
For the enforcers stats you can just make a gang in the Yak tribe Gang manager (in general they are average Human stats with 4+ Ws, Bs and I), while the new Sisters are normal Human stats (S3 and T3) with 3+ Bs, bolters and Power armor.

TabulaRasa

Gang Champion
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
I really like the idea of using Sisters as champs with an armed local congregation, an impoverished mission.

Does it make total fluff sense? I dunno... But it's cool.
I actually think that this would make the most sense. Like what would be the sisters reason to be in the Underhive? They seem to prefer isolation unless there's a true reason to act. However, a singular one or two on a quest or doing penance could fit the story neatly. The rest being made up of psychophants and religious freaks.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
All of the books are of bad quality and are often wrong? o_O that's the first I'm hearing of that. Do you mean they're contradictory? I have on good authority that Necromunda is the best ruleset GW's released by a country mile lol - and the rulebooks essentially are the game, no?

And I am perfectly fine with bending the rules that much but I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way in a GW narrative campaign filled with folks I don't know...
Hell yeah they're contradictory! They are self-contradictory (internal conflict in the same book) and contradictory to previous books (external contradictions). You should have a look at the sump thread here:
Or the discussion for Book of Judgement here:
Or the discussion for Book of Ruin here:
Or discussion for Uprising rulebook here:

All the books are a mess. Do not buy!!! Necromunda is the worst quality of rules I have seen.

Last edited:

Netsurfer733

Mar 31, 2019
Yeah definitely with you Gunkaiser lol, and I absolutely intend to buy them at some point. Plus the lore, and sheer injection of a sense of the world, etc. I'm trying to dive deep into the world for sake of this 8th ed campaign I'm trying to build up within Necromunda quasi urban conquest style. (To that end - anyone know any good commission artists that might make some hexes representing Necromunda territories/areas?)

@Scavvie - could you explain to me exactly what you mean by freitas militia and how might I represent them?

Scavvierising

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Sorry meant frateris Militia. They are a ad hoc militia force raised by the ecclesiarch from the lower menials servants etc f to fight in crusades and to defend holy sights. Because they are raised as an when needs as opposed to a standing force they get around the men at arms rule.
They were also available to field as a unit in SOB armies in previous editions of 40k.

Reactions: TabulaRasa
Dec 6, 2016
Nottingham
You could use a sister as leader and then eccleasiarchy as your gangers and champions.

I've done something similar with Commissars leading guardsmen.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
There were (are) condensed rules on other sites, as just rules are not copyrightable. We do not host anything here as we do not condone even the grey area this falls into.

However my personal approach is to get the books, as the artwork, lore and ideas are fantastic. Then depending on which group I'm playing with, we either have our own houserules to get over the mess of the rulesets or would use a condensed version from elsewhere that has an easier to find/use/consitant version of all the rules.

Be aware if you are using enforcers as your sisters, you will need to agree with your group early doors how they work (esp in dominion), but also if you use venators, there are a few bits that you might want to confirm with your group too before you work out your list.

Blood Donor

Enforcer
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
It is a bold statement with a bit of a harsh bottom line but you've got a lot of discussions lined up on each of the points on what sort of state of mire the rules are in. Not sure on the whole good authority of these rules being the crowning achievement of GW...

Reactions: Jumbley

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A lot of that might be the ORIGINAL rules for Necromunda, from almost 25 years ago. THAT rule-set has lasted, well, about 25 years with not a lot of revision, despite a lot of experimentation and growth. Ignoring the completely different campaign structure,* the very recent re-publishing of those rules as "Shadow War: Armageddon" made no substantial rules changes, and only a very few errata to the original rules.

* It is a very different campaign structure, aiming for speed [short campaigns] and simplicity [no more d66 rolls for injury tables, no more tracking experience points, no more managing either territories or income]. The completely different campaign also made changes to one of the skill trees [no territories, no trade chart, etc, means a completely different Tech Skill list was necessary], for example.