Skirmish Game Design - An Ongoing, Open Discussion - 9/7 Warband Composition

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
While it could be cool, it also prevents you from being “safe” by taking that guy out before he takes you out. I’d agree that it’s a good idea for melee as both of the models would be trying to take the other one out and they’re up close and personal.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
We take turns resolving action for convenience, but realistically a lot of things are going on at once. No reason why the two guys can't shoot each other at the same time.

Reactions: Mad Robot

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
My thoughts are that it would detract from risk balance. But it might work. It might embolden players to take more risks.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
It is a cinematic moment when two characters shoot each other at the same time, or when two melee combatants strike simultaneously and they both fall. But the more common that is, the less cinematic it is. So there should be something that allows it to be possible, but it shouldn’t happen ever time.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I have another question for you guys regarding activations. If the game is strictly a solo/co-op skirmish game, where the opponent is always controlled by basic AI rules, does the importance of determining activation order change?

In our previous exchanges, it seemed that something like a deck of playing cards offered the best choice due to its randomness. People seemed to be less than eager to use a simple dice roll-off. Do attitudes towards all of that change when faced with an AI controlled opponent?
Yes for AI I like card based. This was a heavy part of Blackstone fortress, with mechanics to tweak the card order once dealt.

Or simply AI go second reacting after players. This is how we are doing Xwing HotAC (Heroes of the Atari Cluster a fan made AI coop campaign loosely based on X-wing).

I agree but it feels a bit strange when someone get shot, runs out of wounds, and then gets to shoot back one last time and take out the attacker as well lol. It was kinda cool but I was conflicted as to whether that would be ok with people.
For shooting I generally don't like the counterattack, on death, unless it's a shared initiative scenario. (Where activation order is based on Initiative stat or roll). There has to be a benefit to shooting first, gunslinger style. But some mechanism to get that mutual shot off, be it an initiative test, special skill etc seems ok.

For melee combat absolutely, it's always much more simultaneous, though again surprise backstab is a thing..

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
We take turns resolving action for convenience, but realistically a lot of things are going on at once. No reason why the two guys can't shoot each other at the same time.
Yes but it should be rare. So it's good if it's possible but better if you can also benefit from shooting first. For example, in systems where there is an initiative order, then often people on the same initiative (be that from a fixed stat or an initiative roll) then simultaneous shooting occurs. But not otherwise.

That said that mechanism doesn't work with alternating activation. So you have a choice of:
a) all attack/counterattack are simultaneous.
b) No attacks/counterattack are simultaneous.
c) some kind of reaction check to get a simultaneous counter attack.

I guess the question comes down to whether the added complication of c) is worth it for the benefit otherwise decide whether a) or b) suits the gameplay best.